Sponsored by:

cutting up a new wire harness?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Received 113 Likes on 64 Posts
Default cutting up a new wire harness?

Ok, I decided to replace my worn,burn,repaired engine wire harness with a new one and I have a couple questions for you wiring guru's.
my car is a '74 and I removed the seat belt interlock solenoid from my firewall and will be bypassing that. I also have no TCS solenoid,no hood ajar switch,no tcs switch (in pass side head),no carb idle stop solenoid,no alarm and I went to a new HEI w/tach drive so I dont need the yellow coil ignition wire?
so hears my plan if it looks cool let me know cause I dont want to have to un-tape the harness after I re-tape it after pruning the wires back.
To be cut and stowed in the harness:
-alarm system switch wires
-carb idle solenoid wire
- yellow ignition coil wire
- hood ajar wires
- tcs switch wire
- tcs solenoid wire
- yellow ignition wire on starter
- pink wire from seat belt interlock
- black wire seat belt interlock

to be spliced together:
- purple wire to green wire from the seat belt interlock
Old 05-17-2017, 05:41 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Get a roll of black self fusing silicone tape. 1" wide and 14 feet long. Tie the unused wires back along the harness and wrap with the tape. Stretch it a little bit as you wrap. Looks good, heat resistant, and waterproof. After it's been on overnight you'll have to slice it with a razor to get it off. I just did my 69 harnesses. Had to jumper the wiper door switches (long hood, no door), and a couple of other things.
If you get a Packard Style 56 terminal, you can get really tricky and unplug the resistor wire to the coil and run a new 10 gauge wire from that same cavity in the bulkhead connector. And then hide it with the silicone tape. If you have the dash out where you can get to the ignition switch, make a jumper and feed the HEI from there.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:45 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

FWIW- I didn't have the heart to start cutting wires off of a new set of harnesses. That's what led me to the tape and tying things back.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:12 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

I just did the same thing with the new engine harness in my 72. Clipped the wires I wasn't going to use and taped them into the harness.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Originally Posted by TimAT
FWIW- I didn't have the heart to start cutting wires off of a new set of harnesses. That's what led me to the tape and tying things back.

thanks for the info, i have no problem clipping the un-used wires flush and taping them over, this car is just a cool hot rod and will never be a restoration or concourse piece. i mainly want to make sure I connect the interlock set up correctly so I don't have to worry about that mess.

I planned on leaving the yellow wire intact and just looping it back and taping it onto the harness in-case someone wants a coil ignition set up later down the line?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:53 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

The yellow wire runs from the starter up to the coil. You're still going to need a full 12v+ for the HEI. The other coil wire in the harness is a resistance wire..
Old 05-17-2017, 10:09 PM
Lyndwood
Pro

Originally Posted by TimAT
The yellow wire runs from the starter up to the coil. You're still going to need a full 12v+ for the HEI. The other coil wire in the harness is a resistance wire..
Yes, I ran a 12v wire from the fuse box (ign) through the firewall to the HEI.

Get notified of new replies

To cutting up a new wire harness?

Quick Reply: cutting up a new wire harness?