C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Dash removal - clips near windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 08:16 PM
JevanQ
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1981 Dash removal - clips near windshield?

Im at the final stage of removing the 1-piece dashboard. All the screws are removed and it feels loose. There are some clip that I can feel through the top vent that are holding the dashboard in place. I can't tell how to lift the dash away from the clips without damaging the dash. Any insights?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:23 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Did you remove the trim on the A pillars, upper trim too, center and speedometer cluster removed? On my 80 those clips are spring type retainers. Manual says to pull down on retainers to release dash pad. Be gentle they are old pieces of plastic and will easily break.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:17 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by JevanQ
Im at the final stage of removing the 1-piece dashboard. All the screws are removed and it feels loose. There are some clip that I can feel through the top vent that are holding the dashboard in place. I can't tell how to lift the dash away from the clips without damaging the dash. Any insights?
You have to remove the right (passenger side) pillar post molding... then you have to bend the flap upward... (You'll see a line on the dash pad). Once you do this the pad, if loose should come out. The clips on the forward part of the pad just keep the forward lip from moving and they really are not that tight when you remove the pad...

And just a note: bending that flap can also crack the pad but you have to do this to get the pad out.

1978-1982 Corvette Dash Pad Installation

Click on supporting document.

Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To 1981 Dash removal - clips near windshield?

Quick Reply: 1981 Dash removal - clips near windshield?