1973 Heater thumb wheel - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion



C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1973 Heater thumb wheel

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-19-2017, 11:26 AM   #1
JeffWhite73
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 57
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 1973 Heater thumb wheel

Took my girl out in the '73 lastnight for dinner, T tops off, got a bit chilly on the way home. I turned on the heat, no problem until I went to roll the thumb wheel up on the heat side to shut everything off. I can't get the orange needle (indicator) to go completely up to the top to Cold. It is driving me crazy that I am in my office at work today and can't be home figuring out what happened with the thumb wheel control. When I take it apart this weekend, should I see something obvious that has happenend?
JeffWhite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
69Vett
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
69Vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2007
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 3,294
Thanked 147 Times in 140 Posts
Default

thumbweel is connected directly to the cable control, which is connected to the temperature mix door. maybe something fell into the defroster, now blocking the mix door from moving.
69Vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 12:39 PM   #3
JeffWhite73
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 57
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Vett View Post
thumbweel is connected directly to the cable control, which is connected to the temperature mix door. maybe something fell into the defroster, now blocking the mix door from moving.
Allright, can't wait to get home and take it apart and see what happened in there..(probably tomorrow morning, though).
JeffWhite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:53 PM   #4
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Willcox Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville Indiana 812-288-7103
Posts: 59,908
Thanked 696 Times in 629 Posts
Default

Does the wheel feel as if it's going all the way forward.... both wheels turn the same amount of turns so check the one that is working and see how many rotations it takes, then compare to the one that isn't.

If it's not traveling the full throw, then something is stuck inside either blocking the door or it's a cable issue. The issue quite possibly may be the tang on the needle broke and it's slipped on the string, the wheel itself or the drive shaft inside the housing.

If you go to this page you'll see what I'm talking about. Click on supporting document when you get there.

1968-1976 Corvette Heater Control Rebuild

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-19-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Willcox Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
JeffWhite73
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 57
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette View Post
Does the wheel feel as if it's going all the way forward.... both wheels turn the same amount of turns so check the one that is working and see how many rotations it takes, then compare to the one that isn't.

If it's not traveling the full throw, then something is stuck inside either blocking the door or it's a cable issue. The issue quite possibly may be the tang on the needle broke and it's slipped on the string, the wheel itself or the drive shaft inside the housing.

If you go to this page you'll see what I'm talking about. Click on supporting document when you get there.

1968-1976 Corvette Heater Control Rebuild
No, it's almost like it's hung up on something and almost feels "off track" or something. It does NOT roll smoothly at all. And this happened all of a sudden, has been working fine. Need to just get in there and see what's going on. I will check that link you supplied, thank you.
JeffWhite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
JeffWhite73
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 57
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWhite73 View Post
No, it's almost like it's hung up on something and almost feels "off track" or something. It does NOT roll smoothly at all. And this happened all of a sudden, has been working fine. Need to just get in there and see what's going on. I will check that link you supplied, thank you.
Thanks again for the link, I printed it out and will take it home. Can't wait to see what went wrong!!!!
JeffWhite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
V4motorsports
CF Senior Member
 
V4motorsports's Avatar
 
Member Since: Oct 2010
Location: Mystic Ct.
Posts: 425
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

I'm thinking the string came off the little wheels. Had that happen before.

Russ
V4motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Willcox Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville Indiana 812-288-7103
Posts: 59,908
Thanked 696 Times in 629 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWhite73 View Post
No, it's almost like it's hung up on something and almost feels "off track" or something. It does NOT roll smoothly at all. And this happened all of a sudden, has been working fine. Need to just get in there and see what's going on. I will check that link you supplied, thank you.
That link I posted will show you how to take the thing apart and put it back together... If it's the control.... and if it is an issue, I've got plenty of extra parts to fix the original one.

Willcox
Willcox Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 11:26 AM   #9
JeffWhite73
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 57
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette View Post
That link I posted will show you how to take the thing apart and put it back together... If it's the control.... and if it is an issue, I've got plenty of extra parts to fix the original one.

Willcox
So I fixed it, basically the string came off the pulley. Grabbed the spring with needle nose pliers and shoved the pulley over and snapped the string back onto it. Crazy how the whole mechanism works. Love this forum and all the help it provides. Thanks again. Gotta go , sun is shining here in the Pacific Northwest...FINALLY.
JeffWhite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:56 PM   #10
JeffWhite73
CF Member
Thread Starter
 
Member Since: Dec 2016
Location: Battle Ground WA
Posts: 57
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffWhite73 View Post
So I fixed it, basically the string came off the pulley. Grabbed the spring with needle nose pliers and shoved the pulley over and snapped the string back onto it. Crazy how the whole mechanism works. Love this forum and all the help it provides. Thanks again. Gotta go , sun is shining here in the Pacific Northwest...FINALLY.
Meant to say "string", not SPRING
JeffWhite73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #11
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor
 
Willcox Corvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2006
Location: Jeffersonville Indiana 812-288-7103
Posts: 59,908
Thanked 696 Times in 629 Posts
Default


Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 05-23-2017 at 12:42 PM.
Willcox Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • 1973 Heater thumb wheel
  •  
     
    Reply

    Related Topics
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Using Heat Gun On Door Panels Street Rat C3 General 5 09-10-2017 10:04 PM
    Couldn't take it anymore! Larry/car C7 General Discussion 14 03-28-2017 05:27 PM
    anti freeze smell 73n95 C4 General Discussion 6 07-08-2016 10:19 PM
    2002 Speedway White Coupe A4 - Oklahoma City v98roadie C5 Corvettes for Sale 2 05-11-2016 03:59 PM
    Storing the T Tops on the luggage rack??? rhoadsboy815 C3 General 3 10-25-2015 11:08 AM


    Thread Tools Search this Thread
    Search this Thread:

    Click for Advanced Search

    Posting Rules
    You may not post new threads
    You may not post replies
    You may not post attachments
    You may not edit your posts

    BB code is On
    Smilies are On
    [IMG] code is On
    HTML code is Off
    Trackbacks are Off
    Pingbacks are Off
    Refbacks are Off

    Forum Jump


    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 AM.


     
    • Ask a Question
      Get answers from community experts
    Question Title:
    Description:
    Your question will be posted in: