Sponsored by:

Buying a Title exempt vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 11:19 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Buying a Title exempt vehicle

The seller has documentation from New Hampshire where he bought the vehicle title exempt - due to age. This sounds legit. He bought the vehicle several years ago. He is in California. He never got it titled in California. Is this something I should worry about? What documentation would I need in this case to officially transfer ownership?
Old 05-21-2017, 01:14 AM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Can't comment on NH but CA titles all cars.

If he has no title "ownership" proof or records of purchase CA won't give them a title and can't legally drive it in CA.

What does your state require to register?
Old 05-21-2017, 01:19 AM
Z06LMB
Melting Slicks

Received 182 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Hayes00
The seller has documentation from New Hampshire where he bought the vehicle title exempt - due to age. This sounds legit. He bought the vehicle several years ago. He is in California. He never got it titled in California. Is this something I should worry about? What documentation would I need in this case to officially transfer ownership?
Better yet, what does it take to get an official paper title? I wouldn't buy anything beyond a parts cart if there wasn't a title.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:27 AM
Hayes69
Racer

Says he has stored the car since he bought it.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:47 AM
slhawkins
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Does the paperwork have the previous owner's info on it?

If you have AAA, and depending on where you live, they can help you out with registering a car so you don't have to deal with the DMV. If you don't have AAA and are seriously thinking about purchasing the car, it might be best to get it and then give them a call. They will work out a lack of title issue to their best extent possible and save you some trouble with the DMV.

Otherwise, it really just depends on where you live. New Hampshire doesn't title vehicles over 15 years old. Some states (or just some DMV's) take your word and a bill of sale to call it good enough. Others like California tend to be a bit more strict - and that's why he probably never registered it out there (which is also against their rules/regulations).

Definitely call the DMV or AAA before you purchase it though. They will tell you exactly what is needed and what hoops you'll have to go through.

Oh, and a ~$25 Carfax will tell you when and where it was previously registered. Definitely worth a check to backup the story.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:48 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Hayes00
...Is this something I should worry about?...
I would think so. Does your state require a title? If so, what will you need to title the car if you buy it?
Old 05-21-2017, 08:28 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

This question should be asked of the DMV in "your" state.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:39 AM
trukatedave
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

In Maine the bill of sale is all that's needed to register. New Hampshire is next door. If you have to obtain a title perhaps the owner can get one from N.H. I know in Maine they're not required but if you pay the fee I believe you can get a title it requires a search that can take awhile.
Old 05-21-2017, 11:22 AM
bigredbrad
Burning Brakes

Location: Lincoln NE Riding and Driving Corvettes since 1967.
Received 108 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by slhawkins

Oh, and a ~$25 Carfax will tell you when and where it was previously registered. Definitely worth a check to backup the story.
carfax doesnt do anything with non 17 digit VIN numbers.

bigredbrad
Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I'm in Al a non title state for 1975 and older. All I need is a bil of sale.

Best to check with your state DMV as to what they need to title the car.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:13 AM
blue by you
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 91 Posts

I bought mine from a guy in ny they also do not have titles for older cars just a signed registation, took that to nj dmv and now i have a title no problem, but like everyone knows ea state is different
Old 05-22-2017, 08:58 PM
71 Vert LS1
Drifting

Received 389 Likes on 295 Posts

In MN you would have no chance of getting a title. I would never pay any kind money for a bill of sale.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

What state are you in ? If it is Pa. expect to have trouble with this situation . We are a title state and they usually require a title to be signed in front of a notary to receive a new title . They will except a past registration card and a bill of sale from a no title state such as New York . I have bought cars from there with no problems but in your situation I would contact your DMV with any question before you buy.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:55 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Originally Posted by 71 Vert LS1
In MN you would have no chance of getting a title. I would never pay any kind money for a bill of sale.
Does that mean you wouldn't buy one from one of those states?
Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Hayes69
Racer

Originally Posted by bj1k
What state are you in ? If it is Pa. expect to have trouble with this situation . We are a title state and they usually require a title to be signed in front of a notary to receive a new title . They will except a past registration card and a bill of sale from a no title state such as New York . I have bought cars from there with no problems but in your situation I would contact your DMV with any question before you buy.
Thanks. I think I will.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:29 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Carfax will only work on 1981 and newer Corvettes. IF the car is within those 2 years, I doubt it will tell much, back then the reporting and computer systems were very basic. Also, Carfax are around $40 now. Most of the time not worth the $ you spend on them.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:43 AM
slhawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Carfax will only work on 1981 and newer Corvettes. IF the car is within those 2 years, I doubt it will tell much, back then the reporting and computer systems were very basic. Also, Carfax are around $40 now. Most of the time not worth the $ you spend on them.
Yeah I wouldn't use it for a history check back to the 80's, but it would help to verify the last known location assuming the previous owner purchased it sometime in the last 20 years. Without a title that's the only way I would even begin to go about it. Since the seller didn't get the title put in his name there's nothing more than some paperwork making him the owner. For all anyone knows the previous owner is still getting registration notices and keeping it updated. A $40 Carfax (or $25 AutoCheck) may at least give you that. As you and someone else said though, it won't work on anything older than 81.

For further piece of mind, a free check to make sure it wasn't reported stolen can be done here:

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

I believe it works on all VINs, not just 1981+.

I know some people (especially from the more difficult states) don't like the idea of purchasing a car without a title. But with a little homework it can be an easy enough process and get you what you want - and maybe at a better price. Just protect yourself the best you can by doing research.

Get notified of new replies

To Buying a Title exempt vehicle

Old 05-23-2017, 11:42 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If I didn't live in NH and couldn't verify everything was on the up-&-up, I would take a pass on that car. You may be a bigger 'risk-taker' than I am.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:48 AM
chstitans42
TheCorvetteBen
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe it works on all VINs, not just 1981+.
Sadly it does not. 1981 was the first year of 17 digit vin numbers. If you try a number from an earlier car, which are 13 digits, the website will tell you that there aren't enough digits. I think it has to do with there were no electronic records of any substance prior to the 1980s
Old 05-23-2017, 12:03 PM
slhawkins
Instructor

Originally Posted by chstitans42
Sadly it does not. 1981 was the first year of 17 digit vin numbers. If you try a number from an earlier car, which are 13 digits, the website will tell you that there aren't enough digits. I think it has to do with there were no electronic records of any substance prior to the 1980s
Not the Carfax site, the fraud site. It'll check theft and total loss records. I just tried it on a 1972 C3 VIN. :-)

https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Quick Reply: Buying a Title exempt vehicle