Sponsored by:

Interior Squeaks and Rattles Nearly Gone

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:58 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

Default Interior Squeaks and Rattles Nearly Gone

I can't recall the forum member here who said they had success with using simple foam tape to virtually eliminate the annoying squeaks/rattles (on rough roads which are more common around here than not) which are mostly due to plastic trim-on-plastic trim - but, I wish I could personally thank them.

Already, I was planning to remove my rear interior roof trim to replace the seat belts, so, while I had the bow-trim piece out, I bought a roll of window sealing tape at a hardware store, as our forum member recommended, and ran a discrete/hidden strip all around the trim where it met plastic, and/or touched the steel roof, especially where it was screwed in. The tape is only 1/4" wide and 1/8" thick, and it compresses to almost nothing. I think it cost less than 2-bucks for one roll. I've used a total of about two rolls. The foam can not be seen when the trim was reinstalled, and it can always be very easily removed if desired - the adhesive itself is very weak which is perfect for this application if you ever want to remove it. Then, definitely noticing a noise improvement with that, I did the same thing to the complete windshield/A-Pillar trim; then, since I already had to replace a defective coolant gauge, I did the same to the center instrument console. Just cut it to size and stick it wherever the trim comes into contact with plastic or steel. You really can't use too much of it if you are not sure where it might be rubbing because it is entirely hidden and does no damage. The stuff is virtually weightless, and again, very inexpensive.

The noise difference is very noticeable - it is literally, almost like driving a new vehicle without the renown C3 squeeks and rattles by adding it in those three major areas. For me, it makes the car even more fun to drive by eliminating the ever present squeeks/rattles, noticeable even on relatively smooth roads. We all love the quirks of the C3 - but, trust me, you won't miss harsh noises, enjoying the C3's engine and stereo sounds more without as much distraction.

I thought I would pass along this effective little gem tip that I received here, hoping that it helps others. If you were the one who posted this, thanks. You were right.

Dave
Attached Images  

Last edited by Lakeside49; 05-23-2017 at 10:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Illegal Vette (02-26-2019)

Quick Reply: Interior Squeaks and Rattles Nearly Gone