C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's time ~ Crate Motor or Rebuild ?

Old 05-25-2017, 12:52 PM
pthor
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default It's time ~ Crate Motor or Rebuild ?

I'm new here, obviously and a new Vette owner. I am not waiting, I want my Vette done yesterday, so, here's the dilemma ....

1st My Vette has different paint and different color interior but a #'s matching engine (tired engine).

~Do I worry about keeping the same engine block even though everything else will be changed like Heads, intake carburetor OR Just get a new Crate Motor ?

I want about 450hp and it seems that the price difference between rebuild and Crate are pretty close... Money is definitely a factor i this decision.

Please give me any input you think might help ?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:11 PM
Dynra Rockets
Burning Brakes

Received 236 Likes on 200 Posts

I would go crate.
The following users liked this post:
pthor (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi P,
Welcome!
How long have you had the car?
What has happened to the engine that makes it tired?
Is it a small block or big block and what transmission is in the car?
It might help folks give you some informed advice if they had some more about the engine and transmission in your car.
How will you use the car after you've made the changes?
Regards,
Alan
pthor (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi P,
Welcome!
How long have you had the car?
What has happened to the engine that makes it tired?
Is it a small block or big block and what transmission is in the car?
It might help folks give you some informed advice if they had some more about the engine and transmission in your car.
How will you use the car after you've made the changes?
Regards,
Alan
I've had it for almost three weeks, it's just a 45 yo motor, a basic SB 350 not much power and it smokes from the right exhaust when started for about 15 seconds. Plus the exhaust is rusted and ready to go.
It's got the stock 350 auto in it and even that is making weird noises.

My goal for the car is treat it like a Motorcycle, garage it and short trips on sunny days.
I want dependable but decent HP and I want the engine looking as good as the car.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:25 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dynra Rockets
I would go crate.
Any recommendations as far as the builder?
Old 05-25-2017, 10:51 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Buy a Crate engine........store the original engine.

Builder? You will not be doing the engine/transmission installation yourself?

Last edited by doorgunner; 05-25-2017 at 10:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by doorgunner:
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017), pthor (05-25-2017)
Old 05-25-2017, 11:06 PM
AboveTheLogic
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 82 Posts

I'd be in touch with Blue Print Engines if I were in the market for a crate engine. They have some attractive options. I have their heads and they are great so far.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:15 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Buy a Crate engine........store the original engine.

Builder? You will not be doing the engine/transmission installation yourself?
Yes, myself and a friend would do the install.

If it all works out around the same price, it just seems maybe a bit easier than pulling my motor delivering it 2 hours away, then reinstalling it after all the parts and pieces are picked out.

(If) I go the crate motor route, it will have to be in the same price range as what I wanted to build my motor for.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:16 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by AboveTheLogic
I'd be in touch with Blue Print Engines if I were in the market for a crate engine. They have some attractive options. I have their heads and they are great so far.
Thanx ~ I will check them out
Old 05-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

This is just my two cents, if you have the matching numbered block I'd use that, why store it? Keep it in the car, once its gone, its gone. I wish ours had the matching number engine. If the dollars are roughly the same, why not rebuild what you have.? someday it may be the deciding factor when selling it. Whenever I see an ad for a car and they mention it has a crate engine in it, I keep looking. to me when someone mentions crate engine I think negatively about the car. I know that's just me and it has no real reflection on actually using a crate engine. just my perception. If someone still has the original block after 40 plus years it tells me they took a little extra care of that car and that would interest me more when purchasing. I rebuilt ours, even though the block is not matching numbers, it is period correct for the year of the corvette, and it was a 4 bolt main. Not to mention I have more horsepower than the equivalent crate engine dollar wise had that I was able to get at the time.

Last edited by Tooonz; 05-26-2017 at 11:50 AM.
pthor (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

The car has been color changed and the motor will have all those upgrades its not factory original.Then changing to a crate motor would be the way to go .I have all ways found it cheaper .labor at a shop is high. The time factor has to be considered.this is the busy season at the shops.
The following 2 users liked this post by terry82:
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017), pthor (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 02:54 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,643 Likes on 2,911 Posts

I purchased my 73 about a year ago. The engine and drive train are numbers matching and that is why I bought it. As stated above, the car is more complete and original which adds to the value for me as a buyer. My car has been painted and the interior color changed by the original owner who also did some suspension upgrades, swapped calipers, rotors and did some engine upgrades.
I will pull and rebuild the engine soon which will include boring/stroking it to 496, aluminum heads, cam, intake, carb, headers etc. I will use the original block and keep it in the car. I also plan to swap out the TH-400 for an O.D. auto or 5 speed.
Even with all the internal performance upgrades, when I pop the hood it will look primarily original with painted heads and intake including a stock appearing air cleaner.
Over the years I have rebuilt several motors and the trick to building a good one is to find a good performance machine shop or someone who specializes in performance engine building.
I've also purchased several create motors which I was never truly satisfied with compared to the ones I had built by a reliable shop.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 05-26-2017 at 03:00 PM.
pthor (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 03:45 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

On your 1972 I'd rebuild the existing block. Make sure they don't mill the numbers off.

You can even stroke it to a 383 and no one would ever know. Then a nice set of heads with a matching roller cam and he have a strong reliable motor.
pthor (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 04:08 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by ddawson
On your 1972 I'd rebuild the existing block. Make sure they don't mill the numbers off.

You can even stroke it to a 383 and no one would ever know. Then a nice set of heads with a matching roller cam and he have a strong reliable motor.
I never thought about milling the numbers off, yea that would be a big mistake if I go that route..

Originally I wanted to stroke it but, a friend has built a couple of 350's, even a 327 without stroking and still gets mid 400's in HP. So, I might go that route (IF) I get it built...
He has used the Vortec heads and loves them.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:13 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by terry82
The car has been color changed and the motor will have all those upgrades its not factory original.Then changing to a crate motor would be the way to go .I have all ways found it cheaper .labor at a shop is high. The time factor has to be considered.this is the busy season at the shops.

That's kind of how I saw it too, with all of the changes, the "purist's" which I'm sure there many right here, would want everything original, but, most are not so finicky -
I myself was pleased that the original motor was in it but not so pleased that it had zero upgrades, or rebuild over the last 45 years.

I have a couple of reputable builders lined up but, there are still 2 hours away, so the thought of a new built engine delivered to my door sounds tempting...
Old 05-26-2017, 04:17 PM
pthor
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I purchased my 73 about a year ago. The engine and drive train are numbers matching and that is why I bought it. As stated above, the car is more complete and original which adds to the value for me as a buyer. My car has been painted and the interior color changed by the original owner who also did some suspension upgrades, swapped calipers, rotors and did some engine upgrades.
I will pull and rebuild the engine soon which will include boring/stroking it to 496, aluminum heads, cam, intake, carb, headers etc. I will use the original block and keep it in the car. I also plan to swap out the TH-400 for an O.D. auto or 5 speed.
Even with all the internal performance upgrades, when I pop the hood it will look primarily original with painted heads and intake including a stock appearing air cleaner.
Over the years I have rebuilt several motors and the trick to building a good one is to find a good performance machine shop or someone who specializes in performance engine building.
I've also purchased several create motors which I was never truly satisfied with compared to the ones I had built by a reliable shop.
Yea, I am torn about not using the motor but, IF I buy crate, I would hold onto the original and sell it with the car.
At this point, the drive-train is about the only original things left... "Decisions"
Old 05-26-2017, 05:25 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Your not that far away or you could ship it to Mr Lewis.

Is is a well known engine shop. http://www.lewisracingengines.com/

He can spec everything and source any parts needed then run it on his engine dyno.

Worth a call.

Get notified of new replies

To It's time ~ Crate Motor or Rebuild ?

Old 05-26-2017, 05:33 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,398 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Not the same

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
You are incorrect thinking you can build the same high performance motor in a stock block for the same money. First you have to find the right machine shop that will do a good job....that by itself is a challenge. Then, the right machine shop, meaning a good one, is not doing it for free, and all the costs involved for their labor begin to eat into the price of a crate motor. It also means you are stuck with a 40 year old block, probably with two bolt mains and a two piece rear seal. And you can't even begin to talk performance with stock heads, and so any money dumped into factory heads trying to make them decent is also money eating into the price of that crate motor. And then, if you are paying someone to build this motor, the balance goes out the window. I spend $6000 on my engine, starting with a ZZ4 short block, brand new from GM, AFR heads, factory roller lifter setup, Comp cam, and best pushrods and rockers you can buy. What HP it is, its way better engine than the factory motor sitting in the corner of my garage. No comparison in quality or price.

Bottom line.....the only reason to rebuild a factory block is if you are all hung up on the NCRS original numbers matching stuff.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 05-26-2017 at 05:36 PM.
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:36 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,643 Likes on 2,911 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
You are incorrect thinking you can build the same high performance motor in a stock block for the same money. First you have to find the right machine shop that will do a good job....that by itself is a challenge. Then, the right machine shop, meaning a good one, is not doing it for free, and all the costs involved for their labor begin to eat into the price of a crate motor. It also means you are stuck with a 40 year old block, probably with two bolt mains and a two piece rear seal. And you can't even begin to talk performance with stock heads, and so any money dumped into factory heads trying to make them decent is also money eating into the price of that crate motor. And then, if you are paying someone to build this motor, the balance goes out the window. I spend $6000 on my engine, starting with a ZZ4 short block, brand new from GM, AFR heads, factory roller lifter setup, Comp cam, and best pushrods and rockers you can buy. What HP it is, its way better engine than the factory motor sitting in the corner of my garage. No comparison in quality or price.

Bottom line.....the only reason to rebuild a factory block is if you are all hung up on the NCRS original numbers matching stuff.
Where did I say I was worried about the cost of my build and where did I say I was using the stock heads?

Some of the issues I've seen where you buy create motors are:
1. They use reconditioned blocks,
2. Assembled in Mexico,
3. Cast pistons, crank and cheaper internal components.
4. And what do you do if it has an issue.

The last create motor I bought was a 408ci SBF for about $8,000.00. When it arrived I opened the shipping create and found the shipping stand had broke and the motor had been bouncing around in the create for a couple thousand miles. The oil pump was broke off and two rockers, springs and studs were snapped off. I fought with the manufacturer for several months while they fought with the shipping company to determine who was going to repair it. Once settled I shipped it back and when they returned it they replaced the studs in the head, reused the same springs and rockers and they didn't even replace the oil pump. 6 months later I received the repaired motor back with the new oil pump and they replaced the heads, but with a cheaper set that would not work with my build. I sold the motor to a guy who really did care, lost $$$ and found a 351 block and had it built. I will never purchase another create motor.
Old 05-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Heus
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

So far Im happy with my ATK crate engine. 350hp/400 torque L-31 roller block with Dart vortec heads, hyper pistons, etc
pthor (05-27-2017)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: It's time ~ Crate Motor or Rebuild ?