Sponsored by:

Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 07:42 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

iwasmenowhesgone,

Come on, i think you are just trying to talk yourself out of it because your car is done,
But you know dig it just go for it...
Old 05-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Bats....I do dig it. As I have said before, I don't like losing that solid rear bumper structure, but I might do it anyway. As everyone know, the chrome bumper cars don't have any real rear bumper.

I can live with the bumpers not being chrome, and not really in the right position. But as I noted, that peak line to nothing would have to be blended out, which would be easy.

That being said, I like the rear bumper covers on rubber bumper cars. I know some people think its ugly, I don't. The way that the tail lights are recessed being the same styling as the speedo / tach recesses is a very cool styling connection that many don't recognize.

I will be interested in see the OP car once he gets it painted. I think most people won't actually see the minor differences and he will fool everyone who thinks its a early C3.
Old 05-27-2017, 07:54 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,413 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

This is not meant to hijack the thread, so if it is, just let me know and I will shut up.

What I have been thinking of is a fiberglass rear spoiler, like the 78 pace car spoiler, but way smaller and subdued, just sitting on top of the rubber bumper rear end, not overhanging the sides like the pace car spoiler, and with much less height. Sorta picking up on chrome bumper rear flare up, sitting on top of the rubber bumper style, just above the tail lights. If it was blended in right, I think it would be the best of both worlds.

I have talked to some fiberglass companies about the idea.
The following users liked this post:
The Punisher (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 08:19 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Iwas,
Its not that i "hate" the 74 to 79 rear,
hate is a term i try to avoid,

I have never really liked that 74 to 79 style rear on any car, but i understand gm was going for a refinment to go along with lower hp and a changing market,

I believe even gm saw it wasnt as popular as 68 to 73 when they did the duck tail on the 80 style which sounds in vein with the spoiler idea you have,

You might look at early camaros that had a one, not three piece rear spoiler for ideas,

i do have a 69 but i am not all elitist thinking like some that the chrome bumper cars are better than other c3s they are not to me,
i just happen to like a heck of a lot of things about them later years lack,
But remember chevy didnt build a perfect to me vette so i am.

I just pick up a spidy sense type thing you really would like this conversion and try to talk yoyrself out of it,
Compared to the rest of your build this isnt a big deal to make happen,

You would be one of the cats to take dons part and make it yours with your personal touches, one of a kind, that shi...stuff is priceless.
Torqued Off (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 09:56 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
This is not meant to hijack the thread, so if it is, just let me know and I will shut up.

What I have been thinking of is a fiberglass rear spoiler, like the 78 pace car spoiler, but way smaller and subdued, just sitting on top of the rubber bumper rear end, not overhanging the sides like the pace car spoiler, and with much less height. Sorta picking up on chrome bumper rear flare up, sitting on top of the rubber bumper style, just above the tail lights. If it was blended in right, I think it would be the best of both worlds.

I have talked to some fiberglass companies about the idea.
There is room to fabricate a small impact bar behind the cover but it is tight. As well, styling is and always will be subjective. I don't mind the style of the rubber bumpers. Matter of fact, I really like the grand touring feel it gives the 74/75 rags. Its just that this conversion fits right into the vibe I want for my car, which is a tough, rough around the edges street fighter.
Torqued Off (05-28-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:04 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Iwas,
Its not that i "hate" the 74 to 79 rear,
hate is a term i try to avoid,

I have never really liked that 74 to 79 style rear on any car, but i understand gm was going for a refinment to go along with lower hp and a changing market,

I believe even gm saw it wasnt as popular as 68 to 73 when they did the duck tail on the 80 style which sounds in vein with the spoiler idea you have,

You might look at early camaros that had a one, not three piece rear spoiler for ideas,

i do have a 69 but i am not all elitist thinking like some that the chrome bumper cars are better than other c3s they are not to me,
i just happen to like a heck of a lot of things about them later years lack,
But remember chevy didnt build a perfect to me vette so i am.

I just pick up a spidy sense type thing you really would like this conversion and try to talk yoyrself out of it,
Compared to the rest of your build this isnt a big deal to make happen,

You would be one of the cats to take dons part and make it yours with your personal touches, one of a kind, that shi...stuff is priceless.
I'm with Bats here. My original fiberglass rear bumper needed WAY more body work to just be presentable than Don's product and the minor tweaks previously discussed.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:34 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 764 Posts

Default Looks fantastic....

Good job. Does this mean that you are trying to keep the protection behind the bumper when you do the front conversion?

Originally Posted by mkdesign
Will do the front bumper conversion when it goes into the garage come November. I have quite a few hrs with the glass front bumper on it now, saving the crash bar. But for now, it's time to drive.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:17 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by carriljc
Good job. Does this mean that you are trying to keep the protection behind the bumper when you do the front conversion?
I haven't seen the conversion front bumper in person, but I will do my best to incorporate the crash bar in it as I have done with the 'glass bumper on it now. It wasn't easy, and I did sacrifice the rubber nose behind the license plate but with some shaving on the plastic grid and die grinding on the inside of the bumper itself, I was able to keep the main structure.
I know that in a major impact the front bar will afford no substantial protection for the occupants, but hopefully, it can save the bodywork aft of the bumper in the event of some minor bumps.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Great Job!
Old 05-28-2017, 05:01 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Time to change your avatar pic. Looks very good
Done!
ddawson (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 09:19 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I can't wait to see it after you do the front bumper. I really admire the way you blended the new paint into the existing paint. I think the look of patina paint is widely accepted now and has become "cool". Since you did such a great job with the rear after you do the front you may just want to enjoy driving that way for awhile. With the way you filled the wheel wells with the wheels and tires and the stance it will draw plenty of attention. Car people who know what they are looking at will get. Great job!
Old 05-29-2017, 06:28 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

I can't see the pictures!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:05 PM
TreDawg
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mkdesign
Hi guys. For anybody that wanted to see the bumper conversion with some paint, here you go. I still have some more blending and some creative scuffing to take the sheen off the new parts and match the texture of the existing weathered paint. The front conversion will follow when it goes back into the garage for the winter.
I want to match the patina of the rest of the car as closely as possible until I am ready for the whole paint process, but cosmetically, for now, I am happy with the progress from its very humble beginnings last November.
That looks great!! Where did you get the bumper from? I'd also be interested in seeing the front bumper conversion when you're don with it.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:23 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Impact bar and air tank I think will fit. The plastic egg crate will have to go. But the egg crate is an attempt at no-damage 5 mph protection with urethane cover. Not actual collision protection.
Old 06-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

I’d also be interested to know the source for this rear bumper for my 75 coupe. Apparently someone named “Don” is the supplier/builder. How do we contact him?

Can anyone speculate what it would look like if a person were to leave the actual chrome parts off?
Old 06-13-2018, 11:00 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,331 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Guys, the Fiberglass part makers name has been dropped several times in this thread and now a contact has been provided. Further postings about this vendor will be considered promotion of a Non Supporting Vendor and the thread will wind up being closed, and posts could be sanctioned.

Let’s stay on course on the topic, please.

Note: Upon further review, this Non Supporting Vendor has been repeatedly promoted on the forum in other threads, so the contact post has been removed.

Last edited by vettebuyer6369; 06-15-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:00 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Cool looking car, but I just don't understand the economics of it. I am not trying to be critical, but it would seem to me that these days (with the depressed C3 market) it would be cheaper to just start with a chrome bumper car then build it up. Is there something about this year model that makes it a more desirable model to build?

Maybe I am missing something.

Get notified of new replies

To Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Old 06-14-2018, 11:40 AM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts

crawfish I agree. You do not understand the economics and you are missing something
Old 06-14-2018, 11:55 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Cool looking car, but I just don't understand the economics of it. I am not trying to be critical, but it would seem to me that these days (with the depressed C3 market) it would be cheaper to just start with a chrome bumper car then build it up. Is there something about this year model that makes it a more desirable model to build?

1. The owner "knows" his car and doesn't want the hassle of selling/buying/debugging a new project.

2. He likes to do his own mods.

3. The market doesn't determine what he decides is best for him.

crawfish333 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:05 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 771 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333

. I believe you already said it yourself , crawfish, , the market allows us to pick up these c3 cars for "cheep" ,it dosent hurt their value to modify them any way you care to,, In my observation, 68 - 72 crome c3 are more costly to start with, (any condition) , , i just completed replacing covers on my 75, with original style covers, and would also like to have " crome style" covers as a option to switch and change the look at any time I like, , then switch back when I'm in the mood,,, I've had a 68 and don't think it would have been so easy to change the look of that one,,,,,I enjoy both looks,,,,,,,,,,,,,teddy
crawfish333 (06-14-2018)

Quick Reply: Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint