C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Old 06-14-2018, 12:13 PM
Kie
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 88 Posts
Default Something is missing... will one of these faux chrome jobbies fix my problem?

Old 06-14-2018, 12:21 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 877 Likes on 762 Posts

Go for it! You have the perfect opportunity .....

Originally Posted by Kie

Old 06-14-2018, 12:37 PM
Kie
Pro

Oh it’s on like Donkey Kong. My plan is to not install the actual bumperettes. I made contact with the unlicensed agency via a 3rd party with a burner phone so as not to leave a trail lol.

As far as the front goes I actually like the way the stock nose on a 75 looks. Mine is already a little scratched and dinged here and there so I can drive the thing all around Seattle and not care.
The following users liked this post:
Classic Muscle (09-14-2019)
Old 06-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Kie
Pro

Old 06-14-2018, 12:45 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,659 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Missing

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Cool looking car, but I just don't understand the economics of it. I am not trying to be critical, but it would seem to me that these days (with the depressed C3 market) it would be cheaper to just start with a chrome bumper car then build it up. Is there something about this year model that makes it a more desirable model to build?

Maybe I am missing something.
Yes, I think you are missing something. The guy owns the car already, and would need to sell it to buy a more expensive chrome bumper car. Maybe he would lose money, or maybe not, but I see people all the time acting like buying and selling can be done in a day, and nobody loses. Wrong. And given this fascination with little chrome cosmetic bumpers as being "better", most of them go at substantially higher prices.

Plus the guy may have already invested a lot in time and money to the car he owns and he likes it. And all he is doing is another part of making it his own,.....not buying some status quo every day chrome bumper car.

So yes, you are missing something.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:59 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Im pretty askew today but i took crayfish as trying to poke at the conversion through sarcasm,
If thats coreect you guys blew that all to hell

Like jeff and doorgunner so very well worded its not always or actually seldom if ever the right move to sell the c3 you have to buy one you want more, at the very least you will be out of pocket, unless you sell something way nice for a pos and that would just be crazy, lol,

You know me, know im a modder, ill cut that vette up but its gonna cost you, that vette, swallow you whole, lil shaking lil tenderizing, down you go...

It all boils down to some people like to personalize their c3 and many stop at body mods that require fiberglass work like flares or a conversion like pryia is doing to her 79,

Bolt ons are an answer , countless 74 to 79 owners have ran 80 style bumpers, it was so popular ecklers made an odd bolt on front 80 bumper for 47 to 79 that required no cutting,
I recall years back all kinds of aftermarket bumpers were out there,

So this threads part is just another option, like one reply stated he would have two bumper covers and swap them as mood dictated,

Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM
scura283
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

That rear bumper kit and a new set of wheels made huge difference in the look of my '75 roadster.
The car was a former NCRS top flight winner, a great starting place to personalize, yet not making any permanent changes.

Last edited by scura283; 06-14-2018 at 06:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by scura283:
ddawson (06-16-2018), Dynra Rockets (06-15-2018), Pulse X (03-12-2022)
Old 06-15-2018, 01:00 PM
Kie
Pro

Looks fantastic scura ! Can’t wait to bolt one on my 75. UPS inbound!

Are those the 75 tailghts? Can you briefly describe the light install?

Is that a C4 emblem?

Last edited by Kie; 06-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 04:51 PM
scura283
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kie
Looks fantastic scura ! Can’t wait to bolt one on my 75. UPS inbound!

Are those the 75 tailghts? Can you briefly describe the light install?

Is that a C4 emblem?
They are '75 tail lights, I cut them in half just as MKDESIGN did on page 1 of this thread. I used a hole saw to open up the area where the bulbs go in, then drilled the holes for the lenses and used longer nuts and bolts to hold them in.
Correct, the emblem is from a C4 that I purchased off eBay.

Last edited by scura283; 06-15-2018 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:40 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Scura,

Do you have people try to guess the year?

When i got my 69 it had a 73 to 79 modded clip on the front,
I was floored how many people guessed 69, people who didnt look car much less vette savvy,

I had one guy approached it kindly but said/asked isnt that a different year front clip than 69?

Only negitive at old town cruise a guy with a real 73 nicer than my 69 made a raging dbag of himself embarrassing his wife as he had a tantrum i was parking
" that" next to his real 73,
As we walked off to go eat I told him when people look at my car be sure to tell them whats wrong with it....

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-15-2018 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:48 PM
scura283
Advanced

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Scura,

Do you have people try to guess the year?

When i got my 69 it had a 73 to 79 modded clip on the front,
I was floored how many people guessed 69, people who didnt look car much less vette savvy,

I had one guy approached it kindly but said/asked isnt that a different year front clip than 69?

Only negitive at old town cruise a guy with a real 73 nicer than my 69 made a raging dbag of himself embarrassing his wife as he had a tantrum i was parking
" that" next to his real 73,
As we walked off to go eat I told him when people look at my car be sure to tell them whats wrong with it....
At first glance, most Corvette people assume it's a '73, then they see the bumper is bolted on and start asking questions.
For the most part they have complimentary about the look, although I haven't been to a NCRS type meet.
Old 06-15-2018, 05:49 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Sorry to burst the fantasy bubble, but those side lines are just wrong. Its a good start, but is obviously not the fix for someone who really wants some level of styling standards. Its a good step, but not sure why the designer could not make it better, i.e just run the fender side peak straight back.

Does anyone see the side fender line taking a dive to the ground and the lower up cut does not flow properly into the bumper? And if you did mount a chrome bumper on this, it would cut straight through the side marker light.....so maybe eliminate the side marker light, and install a chrome bumper and it would fix the problem.

If a rubber bumper guys wants chrome bumper rear end,...you just need to graft on the real thing. And remember, this conversion requires the real bumper behind the glass to be removed.

In advance,....don't badger me about my opinion......I am allowed to have an opinion and if the only thing that is allowed to be said is positive things.....maybe you should put me on your Ignore List. A forum is meant to allow both sides and I have been attacked for my statements more than once. Get over it. Its not personal, its just an opinion.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 06-15-2018 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:49 PM
dtamustang
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

if this conversion looks that bad i suggest you try to make one yourself since you are obviously far more artistic and have better taste. its easy to be critical when you have absolutely no clue what is involved in getting something like this made. a guy that doesn't have working headlights or windshield wipers doesn't need to be throwing stones , and like you said , thats my opinion so please don't badger me about what i think either
Old 06-15-2018, 06:53 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Lol, i love your opinions jeff, you help keep the forum fun and not boring

We all do have opinions like mine about your car,

not many people would like your idea of gutting all heater ac etc stuff from your car, or no wipers or having to get out and open headlights by hand, etc, then after building in an incomplete but to suit yourself way you get buttchapped your car isnt as desirible as a chrome bumper car or this threads car,

Your disclaimer about razzing you for being negitive would be more valid if you didnt harp on how much you hate this kit and everything you see wrong with it, over and over

Youre just being mean spirited,
I think the truth be told you really want a chrome bumper 69 bb badly but even though you have the means you dont make it happen....you are far better off than i am and i didnt settle, my 69 might be a pos to some but its what i wanted

Now remember your disclamier. All opinions dont have to be nice so dont get mad at me if you dont like mine

Last edited by The13Bats; 06-27-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 07:59 PM
scura283
Advanced

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Sorry to burst the fantasy bubble, but those side lines are just wrong. Its a good start, but is obviously not the fix for someone who really wants some level of styling standards. Its a good step, but not sure why the designer could not make it better, i.e just run the fender side peak straight back.

Does anyone see the side fender line taking a dive to the ground and the lower up cut does not flow properly into the bumper? And if you did mount a chrome bumper on this, it would cut straight through the side marker light.....so maybe eliminate the side marker light, and install a chrome bumper and it would fix the problem.

If a rubber bumper guys wants chrome bumper rear end,...you just need to graft on the real thing. And remember, this conversion requires the real bumper behind the glass to be removed.

In advance,....don't badger me about my opinion......I am allowed to have an opinion and if the only thing that is allowed to be said is positive things.....maybe you should put me on your Ignore List. A forum is meant to allow both sides and I have been attacked for my statements more than once. Get over it. Its not personal, its just an opinion.
The "line" is more noticeable in pictures than in real life, as I've yet to have anyone that has seen the car point it out.

As for grafting on a real rear clip, that would be a major project, just ask Priya how much work that is, and this is completely reversible.

I have no fantasies about this being the same as real chrome bumper car, as I had a new '69 427 roadster back in the day.
Old 06-16-2018, 05:58 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Default Good

Originally Posted by scura283
The "line" is more noticeable in pictures than in real life, as I've yet to have anyone that has seen the car point it out.

As for grafting on a real rear clip, that would be a major project, just ask Priya how much work that is, and this is completely reversible.

I have no fantasies about this being the same as real chrome bumper car, as I had a new '69 427 roadster back in the day.
The side view does look good, and when you can't see that line, its much better and the style is obviously classic early C3. However, I have to say I am a fan of the original bumper, especially on a convertible. I like them both.

Are you planning on adding chrome bumpers?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:45 AM
scura283
Advanced

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
The side view does look good, and when you can't see that line, its much better and the style is obviously classic early C3. However, I have to say I am a fan of the original bumper, especially on a convertible. I like them both.

Are you planning on adding chrome bumpers?
I have the bumpers and thought about sending the out to be chromed, but after I installed the Superlite wheels I like the racier look with out them.

Get notified of new replies

To Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint

Old 06-24-2018, 04:09 PM
Kie
Pro

into the breach....
Old 06-24-2018, 04:46 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

Some of these come real close to the outer mounts for the bumper shocks. Check that while you still have access for a cut-off wheel.
Old 06-24-2018, 05:05 PM
Kie
Pro

Default What are bumper shocks? Oh. You must mean these...

my pile of forgotten 75 C3 bits grows by the day
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (06-24-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another chrome bumper conversion...update with paint