Sponsored by:

What is this part even called? Looking for a replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Chaseluck
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this part even called? Looking for a replacement

Hey guys. I just popped my corvette cherry and bit the bullet and bought my first corvette! Been wanting this since I was a kid and the old lady bailed so I said now's as good a time as any!! Anyways, I am in the process of working in the interior, cleaning her up, replacing some console parts/pieces etc and I have no idea what the part is called located above the instrument cluster? The corvette logo looks to be a cover where i'm assuming the AC vents would be if I had AC. I just want to either recondition it or replace it since the original is peeling and looks pretty rough. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 05-26-2017, 07:29 PM
sullyman56
Drifting

Received 272 Likes on 198 Posts

The part you're referring to is the windshield wiper switch bezel. It's not being reproduced so the best you can do is restore it yourself or possibly find a used one in better condition. I think if I were you I'd stick with the one that you have.
The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 08:12 PM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

Only a newer version with three slots in it for a 73-77 is being reproduced. Also, this is VERY important. The center gauge bezel will break very easily if you tug on it! Never pull on it if you have to get to the gauges. I always remove the passenger side dash to take all of the strain off of the center gauge bezel. Also the reproduction center gauge bezels do not have the correct casting on the left side for the seat belt button. So refurbish your original bezel and do not part with it. Lou.
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:02 PM
Chaseluck
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by sullyman56
The part you're referring to is the windshield wiper switch bezel. It's not being reproduced so the best you can do is restore it yourself or possibly find a used one in better condition. I think if I were you I'd stick with the one that you have.
Thanks guys. I was actually referring to the corvette badged piece right below the wiper switch bezel?
MISTERZ06 (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 PM
forman
Drifting

Received 284 Likes on 216 Posts

thats pretty easy to restore
Old 05-27-2017, 06:41 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi C,
The Corvette logo is part of the wiper switch housing.
It's cast from pot metal and then the entire piece was chrome plated (as is the gauge bezel itself).
It was then painted semi-flat black while parts of the the logo was covered with a mask.
People duplicate this by removing all the paint, cleaning the housing carefully, painting the housing with semi-flat paint and the carefully scraping the black paint off the raised parts of the logo.
It takes a little practice, but is then pretty easy to do.
Regards,
Alan

People use the same method for restoring the center gauge cluster bezel anne the console shifter plate.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:02 AM
Tooch1
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Chase,
It is possible to remove just that top wiper control portion if you want, but since that small portion is really the only area of concern, the rest of your bezel looks pretty nice. I wouldn't chance scratching it or breaking something. Just like a previous poster stated, this part is super easy to break and yours is a nice original. BELIEVE ME REMOVING IT IS NOT AN EASY TASK!
Why don't you try this?
(Just like Alan mentioned above.)
If I were you I would just carefully mask off everything except the rectangular area you are concerned about. Just leave that area exposed. (Tried to show in my pic below, the 'x'area should be masked off. Of course you'll need to have paper masked to cover dash on both sides/top and bottom. Cover everything carefully to keep from getting over spray on it.
Now, if you want the new paint around the corvette letters then leave it alone. Just clean off the exposed area with prep before painting it. I wouldn't try sanding because you'll get scratch marks even with 1200 grit. Then spray with semi flat black. (Most use Krylon industrial black. I prefer John Deere Blitz Black.). After you spray leave it dry for about 30 mins.or so then using a very small flat screw driver carefully scrape the black paint over the raised Corvette letters and their surrounding trim. If you just want to cover the touch up spot on this area, (that's what I would do, your Corvette logo isn't really that bad!) then run a piece of masking tape over the corvette logo and carefully cut around the edges with a razor blade. Then spray away. Pull the tape off after the paint dries and you are good to go.

I know this seems like a lot of work, but it's much easier and less 'stressful' than taking that bezel out........Just for that small area?....
Many will tell you that you only want to remove this part once if you have to!!!
Just my thoughts!
Have a great Memorial Day Weekend!
Tooch
Attached Images  

Last edited by Tooch1; 05-27-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 09:19 AM
ballen06
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts

1969 corvette L46

I wish that was the only issue I had with my Corvette.
Old 05-30-2017, 08:11 PM
Chaseluck
3rd Gear

Default Thank's guys a ton!!

Fellas,

Thank you for the outstanding feedback! Also, I wish that was the only thing on my TLC list! I've got a tranny leak I've got to hunt down tomorrow when I get it on a lift. Thinking/hoping it's a pan seal but, knowing my luck a gremlin is under there eating everything!

Get notified of new replies

To What is this part even called? Looking for a replacement

Quick Reply: What is this part even called? Looking for a replacement