C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to start with a car that has sat 15 years?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 11:43 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by 2TONE82
But don't forget to focus on stopping too. You'll get her running and then decide to start moving only to find out the brakes won't slow or stop her...may end up with another crack in a fender. Best advice for a car sitting this long is to trailer her to a new home and then start assessing.

noticed even after sitting one yr my brake pedal was a little spongy

brake system, fuel, gaskets on carb, fluids, tires basic safety stuff.
Old 06-25-2017, 03:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Sidepipes!!!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

My 56k mile BB sat from '82 to '04 when I bought it. Unfortunately, the owner's son decided to fire it up, put tires on it and buff the original paint thru in spots...all before putting it on the market. I drove it for a while, then decided to fix the front seal leak. Lucky I did, because the timing chain was flopping around and the nylon coated gears were a mess. The engine was also smoking and I found valve stem seals in the pan. Unaware of the government-mandated reduction in zinc, I was using regular oil and soon the engine started knocking. In '09, when a spring in the clutch pressure plate decided to exit, I ended up pulling the engine and tranny. My rebuilder found two collapsed lifters, one stuck in the hole, a wiped cam and broken rings on #8 piston. That is when my restoration started.

Bottom line, you will likely have to rebuild everything...sooner or later. The choice is up to you and your wallet. My advice is to leave the original paint alone and work on the safety items first. Drive the car for a while to see if you really like it. If so, start working on it mechanically and electrically in sections (front, middle, rear) and leave the cosmetics for last. That way you won't become discouraged as the car sits in pieces for years.

BTW, you have great taste in cars.

Last edited by Faster Rat; 06-26-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 10:03 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Agree with all of the above, very nice starting point. Congrats!

After sitting that long, all rubber parts and fluids will be suspect. Also the missing master cylinder might be a clue as to why it was parked in the first place. I'd also suggest reading the sticky on what to look for when buying a Vette. No obvious indication of rust in those pics but you might as well know what you've got before investing a lot of time and money into repairing the systems.

Last edited by CA-Legal-Vette; 06-26-2017 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-26-2017, 08:46 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

First off, if possible, I'd try to determine why it was parked in the first place. That woudl give you a good idea of where to start. Definitely heed the advice about the oiling the cylinders to see if the engine is frozen. If it isn't, then I'd proceed with trying to get it started. I, however wouldn't worry about the gas in the tank, or the tank itself just yet. When I brought my C10 back from the dead, I ran a hose from a gas can to the inlet on the fuel pump, thus bypassing the gas tank, whatever nasty gas was in there, and the frame fuel lines, and tried to start the truck that way. Sure enough, I was successful. It ran like crap, but I knew that it did run. Then I went back and replaced the fuel tank and lines, and had the carb rebuilt. So, I'd get it running first if possible, then I'd worry about brakes and other safety items next before trying to drive it.
Old 06-26-2017, 09:11 PM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it a numbers matching engine? If so, I'd be inclined to pull the motor and rebuild it properly. I definitely understand the temptation to get running sooner, especially if its a replacement motor. Nevertheless, looks like a nice car to start a project on. It's all there at least. Curious what you paid for this find if you're so inclined?
Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 PM
DAC516
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MaynardZed
Is it a numbers matching engine? If so, I'd be inclined to pull the motor and rebuild it properly. I definitely understand the temptation to get running sooner, especially if its a replacement motor. Nevertheless, looks like a nice car to start a project on. It's all there at least. Curious what you paid for this find if you're so inclined?
I traded my 1987 4x4 short bed for it. It was nice but a daily driver with a crate motor.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Hopper12
Melting Slicks

Received 2,063 Likes on 980 Posts

Nice find!! I brought a car back to life after sitting for 14 years a few years ago. We did much of what has been recommended with regard to oiling the cylinders, turning manually first, etc. Here are the main issues we had to address:
* Brakes - had to go completely thru them. Wasn't a vette, but my guess is that the calipers, etc. are in need. Went thru the brakes before we even tried to fire it back up.
* Carb - rebuilt it before we even tried to fire it. It was full of gas that was partially like 'flubber'. :-)
* Of course, we drained the gas tank.
* Replaced the tires - they were old and checked.
* Changed fluids, got battery, and it fired right up!
* Ran if for an hour. Then a few lifters pumped up and bent a couple of push rods. Replaced the lifters and push rods. Fired right back up.
* On the 'maiden voyage', got out about 20 miles and it puttered and stopped. Turned out the gas tank was shedding scale above the line that the gas was to when it was parked years before, and the scale clogged up the pickup and filters. Replaced the tank and never had another issue.

I think if you take your time and follow the advice given here, you'll likely get it going and then find a few things that need fixing - but what a great find!! Good luck - would like to know what happens.

Last edited by Hopper12; 06-28-2017 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:24 PM
pbigpig
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Interior looks great!! Congrats on the nice find.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:19 PM
DAC516
Advanced

I finally had a chance to work on the car tonight. I pulled the gas tank and the radiator, radiator support, and fan shroud. I was disappointed to not find a build sheet on top of the gas tank. I could see where it had been glued to the top of the gas tank, but there was very little of it left.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM
grumpyonetwo
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DAC516
Couple of more pics
Would you be interested in selling the plate off your barn find? would make a great addition to my collection here in Australia.
Hear from you soon

Last edited by grumpyonetwo; 07-28-2017 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 PM
DAC516
Advanced

Thanks for asking, but I plan to hang it in my garage with other plates I have acquired.

-DAC

Originally Posted by grumpyonetwo
Would you be interested in selling the plate off your barn find? would make a great addition to my collection here in Australia.
Hear from you soon

Old 07-29-2017, 09:44 PM
DAC516
Advanced

More disappointment tonight. I took off the cylinder heads and found the #4 exhaust valve sitting in the cylinder.

What to do now? The engine is original and has 40,000 miles on it. Rebuild? Pull it (but keep of course) and put a crate motor in it? Convert to LS?

-DAC
Attached Images  
Old 07-29-2017, 10:07 PM
chazde3
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by raydog9379
Wonder if it sat longer since the plates expire 34 years ago. Though it looks like some things have been replaced since then, so who knows.
You never know really. My 68 actually had the exact same Michigan '79 plate and I believe was last registered in '83 like his was. But, my dad raced it until the mid to late '90s. Heck of a coincidence on the plates.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

More disappointment tonight. I took off the cylinder heads and found the #4 exhaust valve sitting in the cylinder.

What to do now? The engine is original and has 40,000 miles on it. Rebuild? Pull it (but keep of course) and put a crate motor in it? Convert to LS?

-DAC
My vote would be keep the OE engine, just in case, but in the meantime, install a "crate motor". You could be up and running in a matter of days, for probably less money.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:25 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

call vortecpro for one of his big blocks cannot beat them for the $ and hold together

Forget the lsx you already got a big block!
Old 03-22-2018, 01:47 AM
68Rick
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice looking car there neighbor. Which direction did you go with your engine? Good luck which ever direction you go. maybe ill see you on the streets one day. I've got a safari yellow 68 that I'm trying to get ready for Sunday drives. I live in north MS just outside Collierville TN.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to start with a car that has sat 15 years?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:15 AM
DAC516
Advanced

Hey neighbor! I pulled the engine, put new rings and bearings in it and got a valve job for the heads. It's back in the car and running well. Just got a couple more things to button up and she'll be back on the road. Of course, with a car like this, it's never really done. I'm familiar with Holley Springs - we camp at Wall Doxey often. We'll have to get together sometime. Let me know if you ever need help with your 68. I would be glad to drive down.

-David

Originally Posted by 68Rick
Nice looking car there neighbor. Which direction did you go with your engine? Good luck which ever direction you go. maybe ill see you on the streets one day. I've got a safari yellow 68 that I'm trying to get ready for Sunday drives. I live in north MS just outside Collierville TN.
The following users liked this post:
68Rick (04-02-2018)
Old 03-26-2018, 09:59 AM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

At this point, I would charge up the camera batteries, get a notebook, and a good supply of boxes and baggies and tear the car completely down. You Sir are looking at a complete body of rebuild.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:27 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

-DAC
I see no reason to purchase another motor. Rebuild the one that was in it and be done.

Last edited by scrappy76; 03-27-2018 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Well never mind, seems you have repaired the original.

Quick Reply: Where to start with a car that has sat 15 years?