C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

!972 Windsheild wiper tubes connect and wiper connections (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 08:30 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

Received 792 Likes on 452 Posts
2017 C3 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '20- '21
Default !972 Windsheild wiper tubes connect and wiper connections (pics)

Hello all need some help sorting through the 1972 and the wiper spray system.

The wiper spray tubes are connected to the wipers but unfortunately it looks like the passenger's side took a hit and is disconnected from the wiper. So first question is do I have it positioned correctly? It seems that the drivers side is positioned below the wiper blade but the passengers is above? Correct?

Drivers side

Passengers side

Next question is how do I repair it? I can silver solder (as in cooper pipes) but I am not sure that will fuse. Also thinking of JB Weld, but not sure that will hold. So thoughts???? Greatly appreciated.

Also the spray pump, I replaced the parts that I could easily get. The piston is moving but not getting any spray. When I force the water through it does spray, so the tubing is intake but I am worried that the piston gasket is bad and not forming pressure. First is that the original pump? (Sorry for the lousy pics) and has anyone repaired or found a good source for the piston or the gasket?

So what does everyone think??? Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!!!!! Ike
Old 06-08-2017, 08:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi gi,
The tubes can be soldered to the small brackets using regular solder.
Here are some photos of the washer tubes.
There are also 7 (?) small plastic clips that support the tubes.
Regards,
Alan

Left side

Right side

Typical plastic clips

The following users liked this post:
MISTERZ06 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi gi,
The stamp on the pump seems to indicate it's a remanufactured pump.
There are some 'kits' available that have some seals and rubber 'valves' in them that when installed often return the pump's function.
The 'rebuild' kits are available from the various vendors and are also sometimes available from auto parts stores since the parts were used on many GM vehicles.
You need to be careful as you work because the plastic parts of the pump can become very fragile from age.
If you decide to try a rebuild send me a pm and I'll send you an article about rebuilding the pump.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
The following 2 users liked this post by Alan 71:
general ike (06-08-2017), MISTERZ06 (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 AM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

Thank you Alan, as always you "ride to the rescue"!!!!! I tried the Aim manual but the pic was to small to see correctly. I can see by your photo I need to increase the bend in mine at the nozzle. The plastic clips are present luckily. Will do and then try to solder it back. I often wonder the logic in placement why is one under the wiper arm and the other over? There probably is a reason that just escapes me.

With regards to the pump I installed a rebuild kit but sadly they don't come with a new piston or at a minimum the O-ring on the piston which appears to be often the problem.

I found a decent video on U-tube in regards to the pump but I will PM you for the article none the less. But more critical is that if the pump is not original then I will probably just replace it. You stated that its a "Remanufactured" pump, is it the "correct" Vette/GM pump worth salvaging?
Thanks again !!!!Ike

Last edited by general ike; 06-08-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:57 PM
general ike
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '20- '21

OK here is the update!!!! For anyone that is following along or perhaps in the future as a reverence here is the outcome. I was able to solder the tubing back into place and then spray painted everything to clean up the look. Worked well!!!

Now the big issue, the rebuild kits do not include the gasket in the piston which often seems to be the issue with these. Why it makes no sense!!!!! These pistons gaskets are impossible to find.
But Alan to the rescue, the article he sent me suggests using O-rings to replace the odd gasket that is in there. It took a few attempts with different combinations of thickness and sizes but low and behold it worked!!!!! So now we have a pump that pumps!!! I was able to keep the original "white" housings components by just using the new gaskets and I was able to keep the original look.

Again thanks all and especially to Alan!!! Ike

Last edited by general ike; 06-19-2017 at 08:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Brcmpbl (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 09:05 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Hi Ike,
Good for you!
Sometimes things actually work out without becoming a nightmare!
Regards,
Alan

Get notified of new replies

To !972 Windsheild wiper tubes connect and wiper connections (pics)

Quick Reply: !972 Windsheild wiper tubes connect and wiper connections (pics)