C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think about this '68 that I just "found"???

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 06:10 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Z06,
I just dont see that as deception to me deception would be if he never admitted it was a 75, and tried to pass it as a 69, this is just a poorly written ad.

there are so many con men pulling all kinds of bs and hiding all kinds of stuff that rank as deception.

Agree though, the subject line should not say 69 but rather 75...29k will buy a nice real 69
Old 06-13-2017, 06:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by IndyCorvetteDave
...you have given me some things to contemplate...
None of CL cars are black on black. Have you changed your color preference?
Old 06-13-2017, 06:56 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,287 Likes on 3,918 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

As evreyone stated above, i have noticed the same things. It could have the original engine but I would put the price over $18k for a coupe. The price differences between Fla and the far north are incredible and don't take in the number of vehicles in a given area thats why everyone has such a hard time with the price difference.

That being said, i would look at it, find everysingle flaw and offer him the 15-18k if its worth that much. Otherwise you may want to hunt in a wider area. Remember to look for what you desire and don't settle for the first one that comes along. Buy the best you can afford. We don't know how this runs and its been worked on buy the look of the oily hand prints on the exhaust. If a dealer with no other vettes was working on it, its gonna have a few 68 vette specific problems. Wiper systems, vacuum systems rear end alignments, etc
Old 06-14-2017, 11:55 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,329 Likes on 2,775 Posts

Number 1, although mega miles could be a good car for my purposes. Meaning a black paint job without getting into big money.

Number 2: no convertibles need apply. Just a personal preference, but again, it shows that there nice cars out there.

Number 3 has been on my radar. It is worth looking in to. I do wonder why it's been up for sale for so long though. Plus, who doesn't bother to take a bunch of decent pictures and give details???? I can't get that.

Number 4 - what a great looking car! It just doesn't leave me budget room to get it to black.

Number 5 - again, a nice car. I'll never get over the dang luggage racks and I know they can come off when a car is painted but there is a chance that the holes from the rack could show up some day. Plus the price + paint isn't great.

KingRat, you have given me some things to contemplate and I thank you.
When shopping for a Corvette, you have to decide what's important to you and what's not. Then, you have to maximize your buying power by only paying for what matters to you.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you want black but do not care if it matches the trim tag. You prefer a coupe. You don't care if it's NOM.

These are all factors that benefit you in finding a nice deal on a chrome bumper car. Do not pay code 900, numbers matching convertible prices for a color changed, NOM coupe.

Use the advantages you have here.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:16 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

The car is obviously modded so expecting orignal stuff is out the window, its got a GM 383 which is a plus

15k can buy a BB manual 69 out here but it wont be nothing real nice; if someone picked it up for 20-25k they are stilll ahead of the game than if they tried to build that same car themselves

x2 on title, it did its job which is get people to look but doesnt smell of a scam one bit.

Last edited by cv67; 06-14-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:07 AM
Highlander1732
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.dmotorsinc.com/1968_Chevr...OH_7594071.veh

My initial phone call with Dominic was cordial. Looks to be a smallish used car dealer near Cleveland. He said he never let the car sit out to be "bait" for people driving by. In fact, he had to get out of storage to take the initial set of pictures.

From the pictures taken at his place I saw that he had a couple of lifts. I asked if he would put the car on a lift and take pictures. He just got back to me today. He took some decent pictures and added them with the initial images I saw over the weekend.

He told me that while the odometer is at 47,000 miles, the title says, "mileage unknown". He texted me a picture of the title. He doesn’t know the story regarding why the title statement.

Thoughts?

<Thanks as always for the help!>
It looks like the passenger side rear TA is in better/shiner condition than the driver's side? It also looks like the passenger diff crossmember bolt washer is new. Possibly had the diff out for some reason or had to replace a sombrero. Exhaust looks older, but the clamps near the trans crossmember are clearly newer. All would have had to come off if doing work on the diff possibly. Diff crossmember bolts look to be differing condition, but this would have had to come out to swap motor possibly.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 PM
RedHot85Vette
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Good Day All! I hope you're all enjoying a pleasant one.

If you're patient and keep your eye on all the venues available to you, you will be able to find what you want and at a price within your budget or goal. Set up some automatic searches on Craigslist and Ebay, to help filter out items that are not practical for you. If you live in Maine, your probably not interested in cars residing in Washington State. Don't forget to look in Hemmings. You never know where you're going to find your next sweetheart. I believe that in a short while, you'll develop a "nose" for finding prospects. Don't settle for less than what you desire.

If you find a car that you're really interested in, ask if you can have it inspected by your mechanic and body shop. If you get a "No" response, walk away. But seriously, not as a scare tactic but really do get it inspected by a good mechanic and a body shop.

Search as often as possible throughout a day. Some of them jewels out there can disappear FAST, right out from under your nose.

I found my perfect baby on Craigslist and whaddadeal!! Just to show you, I was browsing and searching through Craigslist and found a couple of so-so's and then punched in my search command one more time, and there she was. I called the guy right away. He said I was the first one to call. I began asking him a list of questions (oh yeah! make a list of questions that covers everything about the car. Try to get questions answered over the phone. Might save you a trip.). And then he offered up a few items that I didn't ask about (he said he had a brand new spare GM muffler, GM alternator... some switches... other misc.) We hit it off as my telephone interview went along and I began laughing because it seemed that in between each of my questions he said, in sort of a matter of fact way, "John, you're gonna' Love it". I Did. I Do, I always will. It's the last car I'll ever own.

PS. my neighbor stepped in magic-poo and founda great deal on a very nice looking, very cool, 1974 black, side-piped, driver/Hot Rod, recent engine job, lots new, Eye Catching Mean! Nice!... not 20 minutes away... He saw it and just for fun, stopped to take a look, he wasn't even looking for a new car, nor a Vette... he just couldn't pass it up.. nothing to do but buy a new pair of really cool sunglasses, fill the car up with his favorite gas, and drive it. $9k cash, no-muss, no-fuss.

Quick Reply: What do you think about this '68 that I just "found"???