Sponsored by:

71 Vert what to do??

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 04:31 PM
Norm07
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
Default 71 Vert what to do??

Dropping in here from the C5 group, where I have been able to take advantage of the experience of some very helpful folks while "tidying up" my 2000 Coupe. Well nothing left to do...I am bored...so...
I just picked up a 71 Convertible, matching #'s Automatic and I am at a bit of a crossroads...

I was looking for a project and originally wanted a chrome bumper standard but this 71 came along, it was local to me, and north of the border there are very few choices unless you are in to the 30 -35 range. Our low dollar makes buying US almost cost prohibitive. I also find Canadian sellers are pricing their cars consistent with the US dollar exchange taken in to consideration.

My new to me 71 was originally an Ontario Orange, base convertible, white top black vinyl interior, L48 engine, automatic, power steering.

As of today it is on its 3rd colour change, and in need of paint. A couple small cracks here and there. I have confirmed the engine number is matching, but have not been able to do the same with the reared and transmission. The current convertible top could stay (1 small hole), but a replacement came with it. The interior is a mess. The only items useable are the dash, and dash pad. Most of the counsel should be replaced. Replacement door panels and complete carpeting came with it. The engine and engine bay has suffered from "Bubba to the max". Plenty of work here on electrical and vacuum lines as well as missing parts. The suspension is scary...all the bushings etc..are either rotted or almost gone...it has new rotors and calipers, and master cylinder but I suspect from the extremely hard braking a power brake master cylinder was used. I drove the car home and it's like driving a riverboat.

So my question(s)to all of you is...

is it worth saving and bringing it back to original...as a nice driver, I wouldn't go to the NCRS standards.

Do it up like I really want it...my colour, convert to standard.

In both of the above I would be doing 90% of the work myself...with help and guidance from the people here

Sell it..... before I spend money on it....look for the next one.

If it was not a numbers matching car I would not be too concerned but I don't want to do something stupid an take something that has the potential to be worth something to me or the next guy ( if it was to undergo a complete restoration). I also realize this is not a heavily optioned car. Also it appears to have a fairly new gas tank installed. I have documentation back to 89 but no build sheet.

I know there will be expenses etc etc, items are not cheap for these cars but I enjoy the work...and know there is little to no return on my labour.

Please chime in with your opinions...god or bad...I've got "big shoulders"

Old 06-17-2017, 05:12 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

Don't look like a bad starting point.

How is the rust on the key places? Take the kick panels off and check in front of the rear control arms.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:34 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi N07,
A 71 sb convertible….NICE!!!!
I like 71 cars about as much as anyone but this car looks like it could consume money, time, and energy, pretty quickly.
You need to be careful that you don't get too much MORE money in it than it will be worth regardless of whether you keep it quite stock or do some modifications.

I think you need to clarify a couple of things in your mind:
How much would you be willing to spend on it? Make a realistic estimate off what it will take and then double that figure and add 10%.
Will you be able to sell it someday for the the amount you paid for it plus the money you spent on it?
How much of the work can you do… can you paint?
Do you like this car enough to spend your time, energy, and money on?

The upside of this car is that it appears to be very complete… that's critical because it's much cheaper to restore parts than to buy new parts; especially if you're willing to work for free.
The down side of this car is that it appears to need work in every area of the car the pictures show. It's going to take a lot more than a couple of Saturdays a month for a few months.
So HOW much do you LOVE it?
Regards,
Alan

As dd mentioned have you carefully checked for rust in the frame and in the birdcage including the windshield frame, the hinge pillars and the lock pillars?

Last edited by Alan 71; 06-17-2017 at 05:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CameronC (06-17-2017)
Old 06-17-2017, 06:16 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by ddawson
Don't look like a bad starting point.

How is the rust on the key places? Take the kick panels off and check in front of the rear control arms.
dd...from what I can see/find, the windshield frame looks good, including the lower edge of the windshield. I have a document the windshield was replaced about 15 years ago. At both mounting bolts inside the kick panels there is some rust. The pictures are the way I found them. Some scaly loose rust. The structure is all sound and what I see I would be confident with a little muscle these bolts would come out. The area around both control arms looks good. The car looks like it had an undercoating spray, not to heavy, in its early life. Overall there is little rust on the frame. The worst location I found was a mount on the drivers side, below the hinge for the rear top cover. I cannot find rust in any other mounts/areas.

Old 06-17-2017, 06:35 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi N07,
A 71 sb convertible….NICE!!!!
I like 71 cars about as much as anyone but this car looks like it could consume money, time, and energy, pretty quickly.
You need to be careful that you don't get too much MORE money in it than it will be worth regardless of whether you keep it quite stock or do some modifications.

I think you need to clarify a couple of things in your mind:
How much would you be willing to spend on it? Make a realistic estimate off what it will take and then double that figure and add 10%.
Will you be able to sell it someday for the the amount you paid for it plus the money you spent on it?
How much of the work can you do… can you paint?
Do you like this car enough to spend your time, energy, and money on?

The upside of this car is that it appears to be very complete… that's critical because it's much cheaper to restore parts than to buy new parts; especially if you're willing to work for free.
The down side of this car is that it appears to need work in every area of the car the pictures show. It's going to take a lot more than a couple of Saturdays a month for a few months.
So HOW much do you LOVE it?
Regards,
Alan

As dd mentioned have you carefully checked for rust in the frame and in the birdcage including the windshield frame, the hinge pillars and the lock pillars?
The big question is always money....I hate working for nothing and have always considered...." am I going to get my money out of this"... no matter what I do. But spending more money than you are going to get back? Maybe a form of paying for entertainment

Now speaking about the money to be spent...I have read countless threads and know...let the other guy spend the money, do the work then buy it and pay him 25 cents on the dollar. Makes sense but I enjoy the challenge, and want to avoid paying 30 g's for a 25 g car that will take another 5 g's to fix the issues I missed.

As for the work....I have always done my own mechanical. Some paint work. I am confident I could get it done, suspension, electrical, interior.

What you mention about the condition is correct...there are issues from front to back, just about everything. I am retired but can see this as a steady two year project. (Optimist). As for love....me and cars...no....
Common sense has to prevail at some point.

Thanks for your input
Old 06-17-2017, 06:43 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,174 Likes on 2,736 Posts

FWIW: My convertible was in worse shape. I invested $5,000 in replacement parts and plan on spending another $5,000 on a basic paint job. I'm guessing you are looking at $15,000- $20,000 for a finished car (unless you save some cash by painting it yourself).
Old 06-17-2017, 07:06 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi N07,
Are you planning to lift the body off the chassis?
That will certainly have an impact on how deeply you get into the car as far as time and to some degree money is concerned.
Doing a body off restoration can be a very interesting and sometimes pleasurable experience IF you are realistic up front about what you're getting yourself into.
The photos certainly show areas that will need attention. I'm always concerned about loose scaly rust at the bottom of the hinge pillars and lock pillars…. that sometimes means the rust has fallen down from further up the pillars.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by doorgunner
FWIW: My convertible was in worse shape. I invested $5,000 in replacement parts and plan on spending another $5,000 on a basic paint job. I'm guessing you are looking at $15,000- $20,000 for a finished car (unless you save some cash by painting it yourself).
Well DG first off I read your thread from the start...it's people like you and others that give us the inspiration to get through these projects. I think at those prices you did quite well. If I get close to that I would be ecstatic. My biggest problem is I cannot just "settle" for that crappy piece of chrome or the 3 layer paint build up in the door jambs....I have to to it proper. This inevitably leads to more money. I have done some painting so the paint is something I may attempt. The stripping, prepping and primer for sure. Where I live, Southern Ontario, I am fairly close to at least 4 used Corvette parts suppliers. I don't mind chasing down used parts. DG...keep at it, you are almost there.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi N07,
Are you planning to lift the body off the chassis?
That will certainly have an impact on how deeply you get into the car as far as time and to some degree money is concerned.
Doing a body off restoration can be a very interesting and sometimes pleasurable experience IF you are realistic up front about what you're getting yourself into.
The photos certainly show areas that will need attention. I'm always concerned about loose scaly rust at the bottom of the hinge pillars and lock pillars…. that sometimes means the rust has fallen down from further up the pillars.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan
At this point I don't want to lift the body. As I mentioned to DG, it means more money. I have to be realistic with my budget. Now, having said that I am not afraid to do that if I am surprised by what I find once I get it up on the lift and start digging in to it. Between our limited to no selection up north and our terrible dollar, our choices are limited. A chrome bumper vert for under 20 g's is tough to find. As far as the rust, I hear what you are saying, and as I go further I will be giving it some close inspection.
Cheers!
Old 06-18-2017, 02:21 AM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

Man, that car had a rough life...

The following users liked this post:
Norm07 (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:42 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

Avoid body off. Too expensive. Front suspension $300. Rear suspension, shipping out diff and trailing arms for total rebuild $3000. Paint $7500 max. Interior $2500. Rechrome bumpers $1200. Odds and ends $1500. Brakes $600. Engine ? Trans ?. You're in at 16.5 k. Plus purchase price. Keep total cost under 30k and you're ok.
Old 06-18-2017, 03:07 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by mortgageguy
Avoid body off. Too expensive. Front suspension $300. Rear suspension, shipping out diff and trailing arms for total rebuild $3000. Paint $7500 max. Interior $2500. Rechrome bumpers $1200. Odds and ends $1500. Brakes $600. Engine ? Trans ?. You're in at 16.5 k. Plus purchase price. Keep total cost under 30k and you're ok.
MG...I appreciate the info...always good to hear from someone who has done it. I have driven the car, other than the obvious issues with old worn out bushings etc, and most likely control arms, I would take a chance on the rear end and just change the seals and u joints. The car has new calipers, rotors and master cylinder, so that's a savings. Came with new bumpers front and back, along with a complete carpet set and new door panels. Also a new convertible top. This will reduce my expenses a little....oh and a brand new never mounted set of period correct firestone tires. Engine....not quite sure if I will go the pull it and do the gaskets or go for a rebuild. In all likelihood the main seals are leaking....I have had a cost of 4 g's for the motor re-build. The transmission, automatic appears ok. I want to switch it over to standard but am still undecided...go with the original Ontario Orange colour, leave it automatic since it is a numbers matching, or do it red with the changeover the way I would like to do it.
Cheers
Old 06-18-2017, 04:07 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

he is correct in saying avoid it
Did it once "for the challenge" and being very picky;OCD is expensive..thank god I had youth, a place and the income & determination to finish it up back then

Long story short it was down for over 10 yrs...$90k and a series of disasters later it was running and that was doing 90% of it myself.
Not discouraging just putting it out there for those that maybe got part way through a body on and have OCD its rough

Rest edited out will start thread

Last edited by cv67; 06-18-2017 at 04:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
he is correct in saying avoid it
Did it once "for the challenge" and being very picky;OCD is expensive..thank god I had youth, a place and the income & determination to finish it up back then

Long story short it was down for over 10 yrs...$90k and a series of disasters later it was running and that was doing 90% of it myself.
Not discouraging just putting it out there for those that maybe got part way through a body on and have OCD its rough

Rest edited out will start thread
Well I can say with confidence the finance department (my wife) won't let the purchasing department (me) be going anywhere close to your costs. The frame off really appeals to me but I am confident I can end up with a nice clean driver without it. Right now I am wrestling with a colour other than original and standard instead of automatic. I am pulling the gas tank soon, and hopefully there will be a build sheet...
Cheers

Oh...do you still have your car?
Old 06-18-2017, 09:23 PM
mortgageguy
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 115 Posts

It's impossible to justify the cost of a frame off with the current value of our cars. Norm07, just throwing my 2 cents out there. You have a numbers matching chrome bumper convertible. I am a purist at heart. I believe the car will be worth more if you leave it original. The restomods do bring big money, if, they have been modernized with everything. LS engine, six speed trans, modernized suspension, the works. The cost is a lot more than you are looking at now. But if you only do a few modification, it seems to de-value the car. Seems to be an all or nothing situation.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Iceaxe
Safety Car

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,395 Posts

You will be money ahead to find a car in better condition to start with.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Sunracer
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Swap in the four speed, save the old AT as it's not worth much anyway-easy enough to swap back. It makes a huge difference in the driving character of the car and maybe you will not really love it if you keep the AT.

I like the Orange and it is less common. Repaint it the original color as that is hard to change back later. My two cents.

Get notified of new replies

To 71 Vert what to do??

Old 06-20-2017, 12:15 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by Iceaxe
You will be money ahead to find a car in better condition to start with.
"Find a car in better condition".......I wish...I am not getting any younger and my big concern was buying something that I spent more money on, looked really good or major issues that I missed that would end up costing a lot more money. This thing is ugly buy I know its ugly..."Better the devil you know than the devil you don't"
Old 06-20-2017, 12:16 PM
Norm07
Racer

Originally Posted by Sunracer
Swap in the four speed, save the old AT as it's not worth much anyway-easy enough to swap back. It makes a huge difference in the driving character of the car and maybe you will not really love it if you keep the AT.

I like the Orange and it is less common. Repaint it the original color as that is hard to change back later. My two cents.
Transmission and colour.....my #1 and #2 hardest questions I have.
Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I have been following Canadian prices for a couple of years and there was a dark blue 72 with a 350 crate motor that was for sale for $21k recently. It looked to be in really good shape and it did take a while to sell so I'm not sure if there were issues but the deals are out there. I don't think a restoration ever makes sense financially so you have to justify it by enjoying the work or getting exactly what you want when all is said and done.

Quick Reply: 71 Vert what to do??