Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 02:40 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,661 Likes on 1,400 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by coffee70
This is what I was concerned about no I did not get back what I paid I lost the only reason I went back there was because they where willing to the most. I am not going say how much that's between me and them. I not trying to bash them, just to let my story be known. I would hate to see someone who put their life savings on a car and not know about what happen to me. I am just trying to raise awareness that's all it up to the individual to make their decision as how they feel about it. All I can say I never been greatest at writing what's in my head so please don't take personally people I am just passionate about trying to help others, sometimes to a fault anyway I just trying to help others here.

The you are correct about being a novice buyer when it comes to the C3 I did do a lot research before I bought that one it was just so clean even the underside it looks brand new but yet it still had all those issues. Buyers remorse no I could not use the car as I had intended to from the beginning a daily driver the INS company's wont let you. I explained my intensions when I was looking into the car so they knew what I was going to do with it, not only the reason for returning the car did I not mention that before? If not I do apologize as I do not want to miss lead anyone as to what happened. I simply think the whole thing could have been handled better.
Coffee70, I agree it surely should have been handled better. But this whole classic car scene is full of these high dollar salesman, including Barrett Jackson, Mecum, and the ones I previously mentioned I have come across who mislead people, who unfortunately have the money, to inflate sale prices way past reasonable amounts, and prey on buyers who have not spent enough time researching and/or more importantly have the discretionary money to spend. I simply find those types of sellers as nothing more than con men. I understand its business, but I don't care for the deceitful nature of it. And these are the same types that when making offers to BUY a car will spend all their time telling you its not really worth that much. I know, I watched my despicable uncle do it over and over again.....sorry, its not a trait I admire.
The following users liked this post:
coffee70 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 02:46 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
Curious, what was wrong with the car?
Did you not read post #22?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:49 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

come on the car is a hackjob with an old crate motor and needs a lot of work. Yeah buyer beware but still? The fact he had to pay to get rid of it says all the wrong things to me about the seller.
Who wants a car with unknown frames glued together? Now if it was priced accordingly

There are some things that are hard to tell til youve put some miles on it

Whats right is right.

Last edited by cv67; 06-23-2017 at 02:50 PM.
Torqued Off (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Downesrick
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Indiana PA dealer

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
I really know nothing about the VOLO Auto Museum, but what they remind me of is the high end specialty shops, like the one in Indiana, PA and Cincinnati, OH that only exist because of wealthy people, who know nothing about cars, who trust them, and pay huge money, like this car that clearly is over-priced. They are staffed with car salesman (con-men) that say all the right words to unknowing buyers. I am not going tocriticize the OP in this thread for being naïve, or uneducated, because whatever he does for a living that allows him to spend $44K on this car tells me he has some special skill in his work that provides him that kind of discretionary money. Its these high end operations, including all the famous auction companies, who sell cars at ridiculous prices, no matter if they are legitimate or not, who I disrespect. These same guys would say my 77 fully restored to better than GM built status is worth $10,000.

On the other side, you have people, like many on this forum, that are educated about what makes a valuable car, in the true sense. Alan 71 car is an example of a car that is truly worth a high dollar value. But not everyone can be a Corvette experts, and its unfortunate that these high end dealers prey on the naïve, but wealthy crowd. Hey, its capitalism and free enterprise, but I have no respect for this type operation.

The dealer in Indiana PA has a bunch of supposedly rare and valuable cars, and they are all priced twice as high as they should be. And when I asked the guy about a good alignment shop locally, he could not come up with one!! Tells me he knows nothing about the mechanics of the car, only how to deceive people, i.e. wealthy, naïve people, that his cars are "special". It just smells and I have no respect for them....so you can add VOLO to that list.

To the OP, I hope you can try to learn more about the C3 Corvettes, and go into your next buy with a better knowledge. Don't be fooled by these crooks again. Its your only protection. This forum, and the internet, can be helpful in the learning process. It has been very useful to me. And don't get hung up on buzzwords, like, "rare" or NCRS, or all the other words used to somehow determine worth. There is way more to it than that. You have to be able to recognize quality when you see it, and junk when you see that.
So I bought my "almost NCRS" 1968 Convertible from them sight unseen, and as crazy as I was to do it...I lucked out in one way which was the pictures showed the undercarriage as being redone, and I could see the numbers matching drive train which led me to believe I was most likely going to get a decent deal.
However, once it was delivered I found out right away that I should never buy sight unseen, and The dealer doesn't touch these cars once they buy them!
I know this because the oil was mud, the fluids were empty, the ball joints were never serviced after the suspension was restored, the car was delivered with NO GAS, and vapor locked the first time i shut it down, and best of all, every cover was loose, the water pumped leaked, and lastly the carpet was just laid into the car and never installed! The biggest issue was the interior which was supposedly original, had grease all over it, mismatched colored trim pieces, and a 69 black wheel with a chevy horn button...not even a corvette button. I missed that in the pictures...but The funniest part was the owner didn't know a thing about these issues...yet it was "Almost NCRS ready".
So folks, I got really lucky because as many of you have seen I have gotten her in showroom condition using a combo of parts bought here and aftermarket pieces from corvette America. I will never ever buy another car sight unseen again, and hopefully you got a buy back guarantee as I did!
say what you will but I have a notarized memo stating they would buy the car back as long as conditions were the same for market value not to be less than what I paid...folks that was the only reason I did it!
but never again!! I'm so glad you were able to get out from under!!
Old 06-23-2017, 05:08 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

Just an FYI, # 18 is true of many early C3s, including mine.
Old 06-23-2017, 06:17 PM
coffee70
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

OK did someone figure out that was an old crate motor? It was clean on the inside of the valves when I peeked inside but I could not find any info on it. I am not novice car buyer and should have know better but I am new the classic market. I guess I just expect people to have morels and values that reflect days of old when a hand shake meant something. I am glad others have had a good experience there I did not.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:03 PM
ddawson
Le Mans Master

Received 598 Likes on 485 Posts

If I had to guess it was a ZZ3 grate motor. I had one back in the 90's
Old 06-23-2017, 10:14 PM
MAD IN NC
Team Owner

Received 2,827 Likes on 1,240 Posts
Crowd Plow For Now

Originally Posted by blue67ragtop
I am not here to defend Volo but you must always look at a car first that you are going to spend that kind of money on. A few years ago I bought a '69 Chevelle SS396 from Volo. I went to look before completing the purchase. I will say it was exactly as described by the salesman who was named Joey. I was very pleased but I can understand if you didn't see it first and were expecting something you didn't get then you might be disappointed. A note to anyone considering buying a car sight unseen Don't Do It. If you can't go see it get a knowledgeable person to look for you. Sorry for your disappointment. It does sound like they took it back though. In reading your earlier post it didn't sound as much like you didn't care for the car as much as the fact it didn't have air conditioning.
100% with ya for that price and age of car.

I do know of a 1941 Continental being bought from Volo and on the way home the frame cracked...... Buyer beware
Old 06-24-2017, 08:35 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by coffee70
OK did someone figure out that was an old crate motor? It was clean on the inside of the valves when I peeked inside but I could not find any info on it. I am not novice car buyer and should have know better but I am new the classic market. I guess I just expect people to have morels and values that reflect days of old when a hand shake meant something. I am glad others have had a good experience there I did not.
It has "center bolt" valve covers, the original engine would have had "perimeter bolt" valve covers. The exhaust manifolds also look like something newer that what the OE "rams horn" manifolds would look like.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:00 AM
MaynardZed
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

A non numbers matching small block C3 for $44K? Unless it's some sort of kick *** resto mod, I don't see how even a novice buyer could possibly think that's a good deal?

I'm still not clear if the buyer actually saw this car in person before purchase or not? Seems like most of the things on your list would have been obvious when you looked at it?
Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

doesnt sound like he did
dont think the zz3 has been made in many many yrs
live and learn

most cars look much worse in person than the pics, touching them up seems popular too never know what youre getting.

Last edited by cv67; 06-25-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:11 PM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,321 Likes on 2,770 Posts

After reading more of this thread, Im wondering if the OP bought the car from Volo (as in, Volo owned the car and sold it to him) or if Volo was representing a consignment as they often do.

This could tell a lot. If a consignor insisted he wanted $40k to sell that car, then I cant see any way that Volo could get around asking for $44k. If Volo owned the car, then yes the car was drastically overpriced, but it did not take much of an inspection to figure that out. 2 pictures and one sentence of description is enough for that.

I don't see the ethics concern about asking prices. People ask for ridiculous money for Corvettes everywhere, at every venue, including many, many private sellers.

Personally, admittedly not knowing the terms, but Volo taking that car back is a big deal, I think. A private seller would not even return your phone call... another reason why I always disgree with those who insist private sellers are somehow "better." They arent. Many dealers wouldnt have done it, either.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Hud1086
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

As someone who has many "hindsight" regrets from my own purchase, I don't see any way to really blame Volo for either the price or condition of the car. It sounds to me like they disclosed many of the major issues, and many of the others could have been found with a keen eye.

For the price - I agree it depends on if it was consignment or not, but if any of us were selling our car(s) and we knew what we needed to break even or turn a little profit, wouldn't we try and get it? Without misrepresenting the condition or options/features of the car it's worth what someone will pay for it - whether that's high or low.

I paid more for mine than I would now knowing what I have learned since, but that was on me. I was inexperienced and it sounded like a good deal. Now I'm working to make it into what I wanted it to be to begin with.

Hud
Old 06-26-2017, 10:46 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Not disclosing the frame issue is a huge red flag for me. Absolutely no excuse for that.

Anyone who says the blame for that is on the buyer, I'd never buy a car from you...
Old 06-26-2017, 11:27 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Op if youre gonna spend that kind of $....even if the color isnt your deal this is the ideal type of car/seller/story you want!!

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1595027085
Old 06-27-2017, 07:48 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by maj75
Not disclosing the frame issue is a huge red flag for me. Absolutely no excuse for that.

Anyone who says the blame for that is on the buyer, I'd never buy a car from you...
Torqued Off (06-27-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Hud1086
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Per post #22...

"8. Frame is made up two units was told it has a late 70's possible 78 with back cut off and a 69 ish welded on so they could put the body on."

Sounds like this issue was known before the purchase?

Get notified of new replies

To Sold the 69 Back to VOLO Auto museum

Old 06-27-2017, 09:39 AM
SRQStingray
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 122 Posts

I would not trust an inspector recommended by the seller. I am curious as to whether the inspector's report listed the problems the OP lists. If not, the inspector is a dealer hack. I also think $44K is a ridiculous price for an NOM car. I seriously doubt that Volo would return the full purchase price without a little legal persuasion.

Last edited by SRQStingray; 06-27-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,661 Likes on 1,400 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by SRQStingray
I would not trust an inspector recommended by the seller. I am curious as to whether the inspector's report listed the problems the OP lists. If not, the inspector is a dealer hack. I also think $44K is a ridiculous price for an NOM car. I seriously doubt that Volo would return the full purchase price without a little legal persuasion.
They didn't return the purchase price, as the OP stated somewhere in this thread, but he wouldn't say how much he lost, so that tells me it was a big number.

People want to legitimize what Volo did, ......I stick with my original comments....they are just another version of unethical car sales operation, and I give them zero credit.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:59 PM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

I'd let my '70 go for that amount of money!

Quick Reply: Sold the 69 Back to VOLO Auto museum