Sponsored by:

Ignition on 77 Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 12:36 PM
KC34
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition on 77 Corvette

Installed a new key and tumblers, and now it will not turn, the ignition is locked, what do I need to do to fix this and what did I do wrong?
Old 06-21-2017, 11:33 AM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I'd pull the cylinder back out and then with a long set of needle nose pliers see if you can turn the rack actuator inside the column. This is the tang you'll see if you look inside. This part fits into the back of the lock cylinder and actuates the ignition switch at the bottom of the column. If this part won't turn with a pair if needle nose pliers then I'd say something is damaged in the rack and the thread below will help you see how to get inside to fix it.

If it turns then I'd take a hard look at your new cylinder and see if it's binding up when you turn it in your hand.

Willcox

You should be able to figure this out if you go look at this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594954923

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-21-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 06-21-2017, 01:35 PM
KC34
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette
I'd pull the cylinder back out and then with a long set of needle nose pliers see if you can turn the rack actuator inside the column. This is the tang you'll see if you look inside. This part fits into the back of the lock cylinder and actuates the ignition switch at the bottom of the column. If this part won't turn with a pair if needle nose pliers then I'd say something is damaged in the rack and the thread below will help you see how to get inside to fix it.

If it turns then I'd take a hard look at your new cylinder and see if it's binding up when you turn it in your hand.

Willcox

You should be able to figure this out if you go look at this thread. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594954923
I turned the the actuator and it turned forward but not back again, so it's stuck forward, the cylinder is in great shape (brand new) and turns in my hand. What do I do if the actuator is stuck? I'm assuming this is gonna be difficult. Thank you for the help!
Old 06-21-2017, 01:44 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

First I'd take the ignition switch loose and see if it's an ignition switch failure. The end of the rod on the rack assembly slips into the switch so you should be able to pull the switch and release the rod... Then see if you can operate the rod up and down. If you can the issue is the switch, if you can't the issue is the rack.

If it turns out the rod is stuck... the next thing you'd have to do is exactly what I described in the thread I posted above. You'll need to go deeper into the column and remove the upper hub and see what has failed in the rack... not fun.

Willcox

Last edited by Willcox Corvette; 06-21-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ignition on 77 Corvette

Quick Reply: Ignition on 77 Corvette