C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble with changing my oil

Old 06-28-2017, 05:17 AM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I feel bad for the kid. Curious to know what was the scenario behind him changing it for his brother.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:57 AM
rastafford3164
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

C'mon guys. Cut the guy some slack. We have all done something boneheaded before. All of us smartasses are probably why he posted the pic at "the other place". We don't want to be a bunch of TACOs over here.

The following users liked this post:
Dean_Fuller (06-28-2017)
Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I'm suspicious of the whole scenario. Not believing it happened. I think we might have been had.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by rastafford3164
C'mon guys. Cut the guy some slack. We have all done something boneheaded before. All of us smartasses are probably why he posted the pic at "the other place". We don't want to be a bunch of TACOs over here.

Yes, mine started when I bought a C3. Thinking "I can fix that!" Now I have two and they play wack a mole with me trying to keep them running! Most times I find the problem(s) which lead me to more problems. My 710 cap is hard to find, especially an original.
Attached Images  
Old 06-28-2017, 01:31 PM
maverickmk
Drifting

Received 225 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Cooter Tech
Yes, mine started when I bought a C3. Thinking "I can fix that!" Now I have two and they play wack a mole with me trying to keep them running! Most times I find the problem(s) which lead me to more problems. My 710 cap is hard to find, especially an original.
Those are usually found near the blinker fluid & the cans of summer tire air.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:47 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

I once saw on a Honda forum where the kid dumped head gasket sealer in the crank case. The picture with the pan off was precious.
Old 06-28-2017, 02:14 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

any chance this whole thing is "fake news"? I PM'd him and got no response.

Last edited by MelWff; 06-28-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The younger brother likely looks up to his brother and tried to do him a favor and impress him, but unfortunately for him, his effort backfired.In my opinion, he gets big credit for trying to help, but needed to do a little more research first. As long as the car wasn't started, there should be no harm. I'm an old dude now, but can still remember as a youngster adding gas to my parents car that turned out to be a large oil can. After about a quart or two down the gas filler, I realized my mistake and called an auto shop for what to do. All was good and after a little smoke passed out the tailpipe, they never knew my error and I never mentioned it. We all make mistakes that were unintentional and so goes life. I hope the brother didn't get too upset over the error.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:17 PM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I just hope he leaves the brakes alone.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 AM
1978_Stingray
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Red 69 is correct, I am trying to do this as a favor for my brother, but also because I kind of want to take it for a spin myself. I helped my brother push the car into the barn last fall after a belt broke and the car shut down. I got a new belt, and my uncle (retired mechanic) helped me take a look. The belt ended up being from the seized alternator, so we got that replaced.

I figured since it has been sitting for over 8 months it would likely need an oil change before being started, so I thought "okay, simple oil change, what could go wrong?" My error was in assuming the transmission dipstick was for the oil. I hadn't changed oil myself for a few years until a couple months ago on our CRV, and from my my limited experience I thought "dipstick.. must be for the oil."

Once I heard the oil dripping out I stopped and went online for help. I got some good intel from a different site: http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...-change.13599/
Old 06-29-2017, 12:56 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Grumpy is a very smart guy.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:50 AM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by rastafford3164

why do you think some top end guys dissapeared from here, its sad how many times i see members act like a taco here,
lets not forget kinship and camaraderie
The following 2 users liked this post by The13Bats:
71 Green 454 (06-30-2017), rastafford3164 (06-29-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 09:18 AM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978_Stingray
Red 69 is correct, I am trying to do this as a favor for my brother, but also because I kind of want to take it for a spin myself. I helped my brother push the car into the barn last fall after a belt broke and the car shut down. I got a new belt, and my uncle (retired mechanic) helped me take a look. The belt ended up being from the seized alternator, so we got that replaced.

I figured since it has been sitting for over 8 months it would likely need an oil change before being started, so I thought "okay, simple oil change, what could go wrong?" My error was in assuming the transmission dipstick was for the oil. I hadn't changed oil myself for a few years until a couple months ago on our CRV, and from my my limited experience I thought "dipstick.. must be for the oil."

Once I heard the oil dripping out I stopped and went online for help. I got some good intel from a different site: http://garage.grumpysperformance.com...-change.13599/
Grumpy gave you perfect advice to follow and replacing the trans filter isn't a bad idea anyway.

Years back I had a alternator bearing seize up when I was 100 miles from home and on a late Sunday afternoon. With the belt now broken on a serpentine drive, it was a Chevy van, all power was lost. I drove it until it got too hot and stopped to cool. No shop I stopped at would help, they were ready to close, but one place suggested i try a new place that opened up about 5 miles away. After many stops to cool, I made it to the new Autozone, where they lent me the tools I needed to do the job and all the parts needed bought. It was at the edge of a ghetto and while i was working, i noticed a gang assembling nearby with eyes on me. Shortly after, the manager came out to watch my back until the job was done with a new alternator and drive belt. The ride home was made without a hitch. Ever since, I buy from Autozone whenever I can. I wish I bought their stock back 20+ years ago when this happened, I'd be a wealthy man. Things happen and you just need to roll with it. Good luck with your brother's car!
Old 06-30-2017, 03:10 PM
Dean_Fuller
Pro

Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts

I think you will be OK after draining the trans fluid. I would "waste" a quart of trans fluid fist by pouring down the tube. That way you will wash what engine oil is in the tube.

Lots of us are pulling for you to get this corrected. You are headed in the right direction. Your were VERY smart to ask !!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Dean_Fuller:
1978_Stingray (07-08-2017), rastafford3164 (06-30-2017)
Old 06-30-2017, 03:14 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Oh and FYI use an oil that has a high zinc content in it when you fill the oil back up. Search the forums for that, but Amsoil is a great product to use and has a vendor here. Also if you changed the filter it's 5 quarts to full. If you didn't it's 4. FYI

Last edited by jlpskydive; 06-30-2017 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:48 AM
1978_Stingray
4th Gear

Originally Posted by jlpskydive
Oh and FYI use an oil that has a high zinc content in it when you fill the oil back up. Search the forums for that, but Amsoil is a great product to use and has a vendor here. Also if you changed the filter it's 5 quarts to full. If you didn't it's 4. FYI
I read up on ZDDP additive a few weeks ago, but in the owner's manual it recommends Dexron II or equivalent, so I replaced it with some new Dexron that is compatible.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:52 AM
1978_Stingray
4th Gear

Originally Posted by MelWff
any chance this whole thing is "fake news"? I PM'd him and got no response.
Sorry I didn't keep you all up to date, I was balancing this project with work over the past few weeks and had help from my uncle (retired mechanic). He helped me get the motor oil topped off as well as replace the transmission fluid, filter, and gasket. Went to O'rielly, then Autozone, the to the Chevy dealer, and finally a small transmission shop north of town to finally get the trans gasket and filter ($8 total). But she is running now and roaring around the streets again, finally. Here she is: http://imgur.com/2cWTvW1
Old 07-08-2017, 08:46 AM
RMVette
Race Director

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by 1978_Stingray
Sorry I didn't keep you all up to date, I was balancing this project with work over the past few weeks and had help from my uncle (retired mechanic). He helped me get the motor oil topped off as well as replace the transmission fluid, filter, and gasket. Went to O'rielly, then Autozone, the to the Chevy dealer, and finally a small transmission shop north of town to finally get the trans gasket and filter ($8 total). But she is running now and roaring around the streets again, finally. Here she is: http://imgur.com/2cWTvW1
Glad you got her back on the road!
Old 07-08-2017, 08:58 AM
dan1495
Burning Brakes

Received 263 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by tokim
I just hope he leaves the brakes alone.
Since you brought that up, the teenage son of a friend of mine added power steering fluid to the master cylinder on his chevy pickup. If didn't end well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trouble with changing my oil