Sponsored by:

What Broke on Your C3 This Week?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Coupla weeks ago, broke 5 wheel studs. Ouch.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:33 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Nothing.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:34 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Default Ouch

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Coupla weeks ago, broke 5 wheel studs. Ouch.

Metalhead...sorry to see that man. I always liked your car. Whats the plan....going to repair it? I hope so.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:44 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Thanks! Yep, definitely getting repaired, booked in a couple of weeks, insurance is covering it. It'll always come back, better than ever! Lucky to get off with minimal damage really. With hindsight, everything else in the suspension, brakes, and steering is new, so relying on 38 year old wheel studs was... perhaps not my smartest decision. I'll be replacing them all with uprated and larger studs. They were all intact 20 minutes earlier when I left home, and I'd checked they were tight the previous weekend.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 09-13-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:32 AM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Saturday was my Baby's 41st birthday so she rode home on an AAA flatbed and today is getting a belated Birfday gift ! A new Distributor!!!

Last edited by TexasTechDad; 09-13-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:48 PM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 276 Likes on 201 Posts

I'm partly afraid to post an answer to this post for fear of the bad luck it may bring down upon my head.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:44 PM
xpoc454
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Had the water pump rebuilt. Found the fan shroud, radiator and radiator support needed replaced :P
Old 09-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

The upper column bearings took a puke. I just rebuilt the column. Apparently I was missing the upper bearing crown. A small spacer between the bearing and shaft spring. Pretty down about going back into the column.
Old 09-20-2017, 08:23 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Apparently my Vette is taking lessons from my Harley!

Last month was so crazy there was zero time to do anything on it and then came Irma and I was trying to make room in the shop for things that normally are never kept there! Anyway , I put the Harley with the sidecar on a trailer to take it to the work place shop and when I got back I went to start the car and got nothing!

With no time to waste I put it in neutral and pushed it to give room to bring a friends c-4 in ! After the storm this past Monday being my Birthday thought I'd spend some time on it so I put the battery charger on thinking that the batt was dead from not starting it ! After an hour on charge I took the cables off and hit the key and still nothing !

So far I know I have power to the starter and the starter is new ! I have headlights and tail lights! No power at the distributor or alternator! There was a light that always came on but it's not doing that !

Anybody love a good mystery?

Oh yea , I took my 77 Harley out for a ride on my Birthday and when I got back found out I had lights but no brake lights! Arrrggggg!

Soon as I have enough time to figure this out I'll let everyone know what happened!

Sorry to see what happened to your car Metelhead 140 ! My problems pale in comparison!

Finally got a few minutes and figured out what happened as to why I didn't have power !

Apparently whoever owned it before me had pulled on or somehow partially had broken one of the two fusible links and instead of cutting off the end and putting on a new one just wrapped it up with electrical tape!

Long story short when I went to start it it was just enough power (and no telling how long that wire was that way) to burn through the wire and boom , no power !

Took all the tape off, cut the wires back to clean again! Put on a new connection for the stater and boom , fires right back up just like it's supposed to!

Last edited by SPCL FX; 10-15-2017 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by KenSny
I'm partly afraid to post an answer to this post for fear of the bad luck it may bring down upon my head.
You can't have any worse luck than me.

I started this thread out of frustration.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:41 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Street Rat
You can't have any worse luck than me.

I started this thread out of frustration.
🎼 if it weren't for bad luck I'de have no luck , gloom,disparate, and agony on me!

For me it's all just part of the course ! I feel your pain though!
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (09-23-2017)
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 AM
TexasTechDad
Racer

The weeks not over!
Old 09-26-2017, 09:26 AM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yesterday I had my 78 Pace Car in the shop to replace the stock coil springs with 550 lb. springs to improve the handling and lower the front end an inch or so. Well, after the springs were removed I was informed by the shop that all the rubber bushings on the upper and lower control arms were rotted and breaking up. So after deciding to replace them also, the total bill for the springs and bushings replacement came to $1200.00. Not a happy camper and my wife even more so. Oh well, the price to pay for driving an old car.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:23 AM
TexasTechDad
Racer

First lesson about C3 ownership is to have a Stash of $$$ nobody knows about. Hide it in your tool chest in the Garage. Anything that might go wrong is covered by "warranty" Example: distributor craps out...tell wife you replaced it 11 months ago so its still under Warranty... take $$$ from tool chest and warranty the distributor. Happy Happy Joy Joy!
The following 2 users liked this post by TexasTechDad:
golfboy (09-26-2017), See 3 (10-20-2017)
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Snoopysvet
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Fuel Pump eccentric, rather than pulling off the front of the engine I installed an electric fuel pump.

Now the carb is not getting any gas however if I pull the fuel line and stuff it in the gas can the car will run.

Looks like I have to drop the tank again.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:18 PM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

In a move of brilliant stupidity I broke the fuel door lid on mine!

Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to break something else or better it'll just break on its own without me even being there!
Old 10-17-2017, 10:49 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
In a move of brilliant stupidity I broke the fuel door lid on mine!
Seems that would take some "work". How did you pull this feat off?
-W

Get notified of new replies

To What Broke on Your C3 This Week?

Old 10-18-2017, 12:19 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
Seems that would take some "work". How did you pull this feat off?
-W
It was really easy actually!

I was taking off the rar wheels in preparation for putting the new calipers on ! When I got the right one off I was staritat the gas tank and I thought , wow, I wonder if there is a build sheet on top of that and is there some way to see if it's there ?

So I go borrow a Snap On video scanner and I'm trying to see the top of the tank ! I tried from inside the car , tried from underneath the car , thought well maybe if I come down from the fuel door I can see it ! So I open the door and loosen the screws holding the mount and pull it out ! No problem there ! So I go down from the top but it's still not a straight shot and I can't tell what I'm seeing or if I'm even putting the camera in the right place so I think maybe I can come in where the spare tire is ! :

That's when I find out that the key won't open the lock !

In the midst of trying to get that to happen I got about three interruptions ( phone calls ) so during the last one I'm standing there talking on the phone and I pick up the fuel door and mount and I see that while it's closed the door isn't lined up correctly! So I open it and instead of trying to loosen the screws and adjust it because they are not lined up right I take it ( I'm still on the phone ) and try to twist the door one wat and the mount the other ! After about three attempts it politely just snapped right off for me !

Lucky for me I remembered that David Howard had one for sale off his 78 parts car so at least I don't have wait for one of those to magically appear!

Next time I'll try to remember to video tape so others will have the skinny on how to break theirs!

Take care all , see you on the next break I get! Ray
The following users liked this post:
See 3 (10-20-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 AM
Alex66
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Thanks! Yep, definitely getting repaired, booked in a couple of weeks, insurance is covering it. It'll always come back, better than ever! Lucky to get off with minimal damage really. With hindsight, everything else in the suspension, brakes, and steering is new, so relying on 38 year old wheel studs was... perhaps not my smartest decision. I'll be replacing them all with uprated and larger studs. They were all intact 20 minutes earlier when I left home, and I'd checked they were tight the previous weekend.

Oh Man!!! Did this happen while hard cornering on the track? Did all five just sheer of at once and the Wheel flew out?? This Happening on the Highway at high Speeds could be fatal!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:25 AM
Doug Kraft
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Key way broke and scarred up the end of the crank as well as the har bal. I wanted to finish and put the new motor in anyway so now is as good a time as any.

Quick Reply: What Broke on Your C3 This Week?