Sponsored by:

My little turd

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pigfarmer
Well, you certainly know how to work a turd ! Looks like fun to me.

What is that lift/jack stands you are using ? Maybe I live under a rock but I haven't seen those before
www.quickjack.com
The following users liked this post:
pigfarmer (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:12 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Yep! "Cheap" ain't always cheap....

A person has to be REALLY good at making a fast (but accurate) assessment on a "cheap" car if the thing is to have any positive net value when the real work gets done. In most cases (unless the owner does this stuff for a living or is just totally ****), a person should buy the BEST car that he/she can afford. Money saved in the long run.

But, WTH... Look at all the "fun" you're having. Not to mention the experience 'growth' your have gained. [Are there any other platitudes I can use to make you feel better?]

This site is often used for 'therapy sessions', so feel free to vent.
I paid 4k for the Vette. Non running. I literally pushed it home
and yes, this is more about therapy to me then flipping it and making a buck. I enjoy a challenge and prefer to do it all myself.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:18 PM
pbigpig
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd love to put seats like that in my 76!!
Stingre' (07-08-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 05:14 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Nice Monkey.
Stingre' (07-31-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:58 PM
76CRVT
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool looks like you are moving along faster than I am with my 76. I'm going thru my brakes right now and next is tires and a new radiator. I paid $4,800 for mine but it runs(smokes like a refinery). I'm not a purest either and plan on modding and upgrading as I fix things. One thing you will want to check out is your body mounts. Sounds like yours was as damp as mine was and my mount supports are ate up along with my floor pans, but they are both repairable. Your right it is therapy to work on and I plan on keeping it for a long time.
Old 07-08-2017, 12:27 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Wow! You are kicking butt and taking names.

Keep the pics coming.
Stingre' (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 07:03 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,278 Likes on 3,915 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Good job polishing that turd. Cant wait to see how it progresses
Stingre' (07-08-2017)
Old 07-08-2017, 10:30 AM
Stingre'
Racer

Originally Posted by 76CRVT
Cool looks like you are moving along faster than I am with my 76. I'm going thru my brakes right now and next is tires and a new radiator. I paid $4,800 for mine but it runs(smokes like a refinery). I'm not a purest either and plan on modding and upgrading as I fix things. One thing you will want to check out is your body mounts. Sounds like yours was as damp as mine was and my mount supports are ate up along with my floor pans, but they are both repairable. Your right it is therapy to work on and I plan on keeping it for a long time.
I did notice the body mount in the passenger footwell was rotted. I purposely left the carpets unglued for now because I noticed the heater core was bypassed and that body mount needs attention. I'll address the heater core when I install the new engine and transmission. I can't wait to drive this thing. I'm also considering upgrading the front suspension while the engine is out. This thing will never be a trailer queen, more of a hotrod.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:33 AM
Stingre'
Racer

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
Good job polishing that turd. Cant wait to see how it progresses
LOL, I may change my name to TurdPolisher
Old 07-09-2017, 04:31 PM
blue67ragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 136 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist

Doing a great job! Keep polishing and keep posting progress.
Old 07-10-2017, 05:32 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Looks like previous owner was putting some money into it. I saw upgraded rear spring,adjustable strut rods and bilstein shocks. Plus the rear bumper cover looks like it was fiberglassed in. What's the story of its previous life?
Old 07-31-2017, 09:59 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Originally Posted by The Punisher
Looks like previous owner was putting some money into it. I saw upgraded rear spring,adjustable strut rods and bilstein shocks. Plus the rear bumper cover looks like it was fiberglassed in. What's the story of its previous life?
Unfortunately, a long sad one. Previous owner, young kid, died. It sat for years in his driveway. He purchased it from another neighbor 2 blocks away who moved to Torrance, Ca from Hawaii. HE dumped alot of money into the car until some knucklehead installed an alarm and now the Vette has electrical gremlins (to this day). The front and rear bumpers are fiberglassed in, problem is, the expensive lacquer paint job is trashed The front nose has a hole in it from someone backing into it and there are stress cracks ALL OVER the paint. I just installed HEI and today finally got a day to wire the Dewitts electric fans. Tried to start it and nothing. Battery was fine, the seat bypass is done so.... I wait half an hour and voila it starts right up It runs really good now and its been sitting for over a month so tomorrow I'm going to drive it for the first time with the elec fans and HEI. Then off to my friends house to install a new motor with Fitech FI and Dart aluminum heads, roller ZZ9 cam and so on. I'll take lots of pics and post them. Also I plan to remove and replace ALL wiring under the hood and rebuild front suspension to stock.
Attached Images  
Old 08-01-2017, 09:24 AM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Great job so far! This makes me want to rip mine apart and change everything. Please keep up with posting pics!
Old 08-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Default A/c

Wow! Great job so far. Once the engine is out, consider opening up the suitcase where the A/C and behind it, sits the heater core. It is so much easier to service with the engine out. As others have mentioned, the previous owner did a fair amount of suspension work. The shocks are Bilstein and the spring and struts are made by Vette Brakes and Products here in Florida. Good luck with the project. Jerry
Stingre' (08-02-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:00 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

No one has asked if you inspected the frame? The steel structure around the cabin known as the bird cage are prone to rust big time. And the frame "kick-up's" which are frame members just ahead of each rear wheel are also weak spots.

But, man, you are good. No dust settling on you....
Stingre' (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:40 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Wow! Great job so far. Once the engine is out, consider opening up the suitcase where the A/C and behind it, sits the heater core. It is so much easier to service with the engine out. As others have mentioned, the previous owner did a fair amount of suspension work. The shocks are Bilstein and the spring and struts are made by Vette Brakes and Products here in Florida. Good luck with the project. Jerry
Yeah good idea about the heater core, forgot all about that
c69vete (03-08-2021)
Old 08-02-2017, 11:51 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
No one has asked if you inspected the frame? The steel structure around the cabin known as the bird cage are prone to rust big time. And the frame "kick-up's" which are frame members just ahead of each rear wheel are also weak spots.

But, man, you are good. No dust settling on you....
I inspected the frame from below when I lifted it with the quick jack, only rust I saw was the radiator support and its been replaced. I'll check the kickups tomorrow when I lift her up and put the new front tires on her, 245s in the front on 15x7 rims 275 in rear with 15x8s. I think someone grabbed the original front 15x8s Still waiting on parts, I've been driving her alot lately, the original engine issues are repaired, no smoke anymore, I installed a rear seal on the turbo 400 to stop the oil from spraying on the exhaust I bought a bra of eBay to hide the nose damage (pre existing ) great deal, apparently the seller thought pieces were missing, openind bid 25 bucks. I won
Attached Images  
Metalhead140 (08-03-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To My little turd

Old 09-04-2017, 05:40 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Default its been hot

I'm in no rush to finish polishing this turd so I work on it whenever I feel like it. Yesterday, I felt like it Started assembling the new motor. Not a race motor, just a "better than it had before" motor.
Attached Images       
Old 09-04-2017, 05:51 PM
Stingre'
Racer

Default Maybe later

Its like a friggen sauna outside so maybe later I'll do the lifters pushrods and oil pump pickup and oil pump, pan, then thats it. Intake and Fitech in a week or so. Probably wait till October to finish it. These valve covers match my paint
Attached Images  
Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Quick Reply: My little turd