Sponsored by:

I just can’t get used to the Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 02:55 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by mjmike
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this Steering Wheel form Mid America Motor Works. It has a aluminum brushed center, 2.5in dish, and hand crafted leather for 99.99. I will post pics as soon as I receive the goods.

http://www.mamotorworks.com/Corvette...ather-618904-1

Mike, check out this link...
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/pts/6174661950.html

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

With the tilt/tele, don't you need a special wheel?
Old 07-15-2017, 10:38 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Project Update

I removed all the steering components down to the hub. I am working on restoring all the parts of the system that are good. The previous owner started buying some new parts so that was helpfull.

The horn does not work so I am diagnosing the issue as I go. Waiting on some parts, got some painting to do.
Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2017, 11:14 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

That looks great and will make it easy to reassemble/troubleshoot any problems

Old 07-16-2017, 02:01 AM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

This is what I put in my 76 after I got rid of the original Vega style wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 07-16-2017, 07:30 AM
Yankeededandy
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 64 Posts

Hope it's ok to not like it without getting personal? That really thick wheel looks totally out of place in my old eyes. The highly polished dark wood doesn't go well with the other brownish colors of the interior. But as I said, it's a matter of taste and I might be the only one who doesn't like it. I'll be quiet now.

Martin
Old 07-16-2017, 08:58 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I replaced mine with a Zora Arkus Duntov steering wheel and it is excellent

First picture black:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-wheel.html

Next picture is what I have red. This picture has a hideous wheel wrap that spoils the whole thing though and the silver original horn button that is out of place looking. Imagine it without the wrap and a red horn button:

EDIT: Also imagine the silver wheel polished to chrome finish and not left oxidized grey like that one.

This thread has some pics of it:

When I got mine it was the wrong color so I sent it out and had a new leather cover put on, slightly thicker wheel, nice baseball stitching. Turned out perfectly.

Last edited by minitech; 07-16-2017 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

so one cannot use a smaller wheel if you have tilt tele?

cannot stand those huge steering wheels
Old 07-16-2017, 09:35 AM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
so one cannot use a smaller wheel if you have tilt tele?

cannot stand those huge steering wheels
The 78 - 82 models all had the smaller wheel regardless of tilt / tele.
It would seem to me that the large wheel would defeat the purpose of having tilt.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:34 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
I replaced mine with a Zora Arkus Duntov steering wheel and it is excellent

First picture black:

When I got mine it was the wrong color so I sent it out and had a new leather cover put on, slightly thicker wheel, nice baseball stitching. Turned out perfectly.
The Zora wheels were made in France, probably by Lecarra. It appears that Lecarra may now be an American company...

Originally Posted by SUPERCHEVY
...the company entered the whole new market of street rodding, which embraced the stylish and comfortable steering wheels they produced. After twelve years of building the France-based business, the two brothers sold it to American Ross Adams, who also took a 12-year stint working the steering wheel market. It wasn't until 2000 that Lecarra's current owner, Chuck Losey, transformed the 90 percent French manufactured business, into a 100 percent U.S. business.
http://www.superchevy.com/features/0104sc-lecarra/

Good luck... GUSTO
Old 07-16-2017, 01:13 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Default New Issue Found

So as I go through the steering column system I have found another issue. When the key cylinder is in the locked position the steering wheel lock pin does not raise high enough to engage the steering wheel lock plate. Any ideas?

So much for just a quick steering wheel swap.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:07 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by mjmike
So as I go through the steering column system I have found another issue. When the key cylinder is in the locked position the steering wheel lock pin does not raise high enough to engage the steering wheel lock plate. Any ideas?

So much for just a quick steering wheel swap.
Earlier in your thread I was going to suggest that you check everything out, but I was hoping that the problem was limited to the horn/button.

(I ended up finding a disintergrated lower bearing in my '68 column)

Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Downesrick
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default They suck!

Originally Posted by Raphiki
Be careful dealing with corvettemods. They can be "difficult."
Difficult would mean you have to be very specific and follow up...they outright suck! On 3 occasions I have used them and all 3 I returned the parts because they were wrong...then you have to jump through hoops to get your money back once they "approve" your return!
i just requested a return for an antenna because even after calling and verifying they still sent me a 69 antenna...bunch of maroons!!
prices are usually great but that's because they don't know crap about your corvette or any other for that matter!!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:38 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Age 73 here, bought my '72 fixed column vert in '95, first move was the smaller wheel and '78-82 TT column, spaced 3/4 inch off the firewall with a wood cut out .....winter 01-02 I was doing the rack conversion, and so took advantage of modding the firewall by cutting it along the bottom edge, and up to the column height, prying it forward and glassing it in, the obvious turn signal switch bump and wiring change also.....I also heated/bent the gas pedal to put it about 3" closer to firewall at the pedal....same as brake pedal....it used to be a stickshift car but now an auto, so kept the small brake pedal for more foot room, I also dropped the seat rear about 2" or so....I"m 6'5" and arthritic as hell, but the car is very comfy, knees off wheel, good lever position, I have a console arm rest pad, so drive with right arm on shifter, leaning on console, left hand at 11-12 on the wheel.....the James Dean Slouch position....
Old 07-19-2017, 10:09 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Default New Steering Wheel Review

I just received my new steering wheel from Mid America today. I first want to say that I am very much a purest when it comes to part replacement. I felt this particular wheel most closely resembles the look of the original stock wheel.

I have to say that for the price 99.99 + shipping it is very well made. I give the leather quality a B+ and the brushed aluminum finish is right on. It has nice finger grips and only a slightly smaller dish than the stock wheel. I give the stitching a B+.
Attached Images      
Old 07-20-2017, 06:31 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 609 Likes on 404 Posts

Looks good! Post pics after installation!
Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Default Project Update

Just before the Steering Wheel swap my horn stopped working, It never really work well in the first place. I took this opportunity to replace all the horn contact components. Before I started I diagnosed that it was not a horn contact issue, but I went ahead and rebuilt\restored every component from the lock plate up. The horn relay does engage when I hit the button on the steering wheel, but no 12V at the horn. That will be the second part of this project. Here is a few pics.
Attached Images      

Get notified of new replies

To I just can’t get used to the Steering Wheel

Old 08-13-2017, 06:15 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Yankeededandy
Hope it's ok to not like it without getting personal? That really thick wheel looks totally out of place in my old eyes. The highly polished dark wood doesn't go well with the other brownish colors of the interior. But as I said, it's a matter of taste and I might be the only one who doesn't like it. I'll be quiet now.

Martin
Fortunately I don't have to please you. You ever hear of Ricky Nelson? Go to you tube and search for and play a tune called "Garden Party" and you'll know where I'm coming from.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:07 PM
Bergerboy
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 132 Posts

Anyone see any issue with these replacement wheels not having the bottom spoke fit into the hub notch? Not sure if there's a valid concern with the 6 screws taking all the torque load on the wheel - especially with a manual steering car, going through parking maneuvers.
I'm debating myself, and the wheel I like most so far, has a thicker padded rim, but the dish/spokes are all from one stamping, so there is not engagement in the notch in the hub, as there is in the stock wheel, which has the lower spoke doubled-up on the back of the center plate.
Just still not sure if that notch is intended to take the torque load when the lower spoke is nested into it.

Last edited by Bergerboy; 09-26-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:15 PM
mjmike
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bergerboy
Anyone see any issue with these replacement wheels not having the bottom spoke fit into the hub notch? Not sure if there's a valid concern with the 6 screws taking all the torque load on the wheel - especially with a manual steering car, going through parking maneuvers.
I'm debating myself, and the wheel I like most so far, has a thicker padded rim, but the dish/spokes are all from one stamping, so there is not engagement in the notch in the hub, as there is in the stock wheel, which has the lower spoke doubled-up on the back of the center plate.
Just still not sure if that notch is intended to take the torque load when the lower spoke is nested into it.

It’s my conclusion after evaluating the steering wheel system is that the manufacturing process did not allow the spoke to be cut from one piece, so that’s why you have the notch. I do not think it is intendent in any way tohold torque load.

What wheel are you looking at getting?

Quick Reply: I just can’t get used to the Steering Wheel