C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What reactions do you get from driving your Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 01:10 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

??never look around to see if anyones looking at it; well maybe when I was 18.

Little feedback I did get wasnt good guess thes have douchey repuations out here. Dont think anyone really pays attention in general.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I am also a Jeep Wrangler owner,.....and almost always, I get the same "Vette wave".......as I do the Jeep wave from other Vette guys, even people driving 2017's. That is very nice.

As to most others.....sorry to say, not much. In fact, on the local busy roads, I get more a-holes trying to race, pass, pull in front of me than anything else. The usual offenders: BMW's, Pick-Up trucks, Lexus sedans,....lol.

I did get my most enthusiastic thumbs up the other day from an elderly gentleman, in a nice SUV, he had the biggest smile on his face, and was waiving his thumb all around, made me smile too.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:54 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by Makonut
70 laguna grey base coup. I always get a thumbs up. But it is strange how c5 and up guys give it a quick look and stair straight ahead.
Not that strange. New 'Vettes rarely get a second glance from me.

I often get asked if it's a Stingray. I tell them, yes, from '68-'69(debateable) thru '76 they all were, I just removed the emblems. Of course, they all had an uncle or neighbor that "specially ordered" a Stingray of any given year...

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 07-17-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Kevin BC
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Com'on, go easy on us accountants. Eh!
The following users liked this post:
resdoggie (07-17-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:33 PM
See Three
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Black 71 - from the passenger seat my son has a better idea of what's going on and he says that a lot of people smile, some look once and then look again, and a few point or wave. I usually get a waive from other Vettes regardless of year, and for some reason Harleys wave occasionally.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM
paul_nz
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

72 C3 Ontario Orange, thumbs up, and "cool car" mentioned, awesome feeling that the car is considered cool
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I enjoy people enjoying my 65 but I really hate people who hover next to me when I'm driving down the road.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 PM
pep49
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by rmgny44
A fair amount of stares and thumbs up! A lot of "what year is it" and "awesome car" when stopped at a light or a gas station.
Totally ignored by TACOs in C7s!
Not "everyone" in a C7 is clueless about how "awesome" C3s are!
The following 4 users liked this post by pep49:
crawfish333 (07-18-2017), JaxC7 (07-21-2017), oyealiz (07-19-2017), rmgny44 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:52 PM
tomvr
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

Reactions are great. Little kids think it's a spaceship or something that should go under water! 15 to about 35...no interest...35 and up like it and the older they get the more they love it.

I don't get many "what year is it". I'm surprised how many people remember the s/a paint anniversary car. Every now and then some will say "Silver Anniv...right??"

Lots thumbs up, biker waves, admirers at gas stations, etc.

The best compliment I have ever received was from a woman in her mid 70's. I pulled into Chick Filet found an appropriate parking spot out of door ding territory and within view of the dining room, parked and went inside.

The lady was standing just inside the door. When I entered she said "that is the most beautiful car I've ever seen"! She went on to say she had owned a white 70 model she bought new "back in the day". She loved and missed her Corvette. She said 78 Anniversary car right?? I was impressed she knew her C3's. She left before me and walked around my car for a good 10 minutes with a huge smile on her face. You could almost see her reminiscing about hers "back in the day". She got in a brand new Lexus and drove away. I was glad my car could bring a smile to her face and brighten her day.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:40 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

The young kids across the street were yelling- "Hey nice car...Hey nice car...Hey nice Ferrari!!!

It IS red...

The noisy neighbor lady (drives a Corolla)across the street-when she first saw my red 73- "Oh is that your mid life crisis???"

She's the same one that asked me how much I was selling my 65 C2 for...I told her 49- she responded "Oh that's not bad- $4900"- then I said no-49 thousand. She looked at me like a was from outer space!!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard454:
jr73 (07-21-2017), Vettedreamer74 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 07:18 AM
Oldriceguy
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Similar story

Originally Posted by tomvr
Reactions are great. Little kids think it's a spaceship or something that should go under water! 15 to about 35...no interest...35 and up like it and the older they get the more they love it.

I don't get many "what year is it". I'm surprised how many people remember the s/a paint anniversary car. Every now and then some will say "Silver Anniv...right??"

Lots thumbs up, biker waves, admirers at gas stations, etc.

The best compliment I have ever received was from a woman in her mid 70's. I pulled into Chick Filet found an appropriate parking spot out of door ding territory and within view of the dining room, parked and went inside.
The lady was standing just inside the door. When I entered she said "that is the most beautiful car I've ever seen"! She went on to say she had owned a white 70 model she bought new "back in the day". She loved and missed her Corvette. She said 78 Anniversary car right?? I was impressed she knew her C3's. She left before me and walked around my car for a good 10 minutes with a huge smile on her face. You could almost see her reminiscing about hers "back in the day". She got in a brand new Lexus and drove away. I was glad my car could bring a smile to her face and brighten her day.

Similar story. A lady in my Sunday school class whose in her mid 60's was sent off to college in a new 77 like mine only hers was silver. Since then she's lived a conservative domestic life. Anytime my 77 is brought up or I drive it to church and she sees it, there is an unmistakable smile of reminisance of younger days on her face. Nice to know just the sight of my C3 can do that.

Last edited by Oldriceguy; 07-18-2017 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM
rmgny44
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by pep49
Not "everyone" in a C7 is clueless about how "awesome" C3s are!
My faith in C7 owners has been restored!
Gotta be a tough choice when you leave the house in the morning!
Old 07-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by tomvr
Nice ride! Unless this is an old picture you may want to check the manufacturing dates on your tires.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM
redbarchetta74
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I get a lot of younger kids in the area that ask what type of car it is. They really like the look but have no clue - they'll pull up next to me and ask me what it is. Also get a lot of thumbs-up from local guys driving classics on Saturday am coffee runs. Older vette drivers are pretty gracious with acknowledging a fellow vette, but I've been passed by more than a few C7's that seem oblivious to the lineage:

Old 07-18-2017, 10:13 AM
Dream Theater Fan
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 31 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C3 of the Year Winner

I had a car next to me at a light who kept attempting to rev their engine. I looked over and a middle aged couple asked if I wanted to race. They had a huge smile on their face, gave me the thumbs up and laughed. It was a Prius. I still laugh about it.

e
The following 2 users liked this post by Dream Theater Fan:
oyealiz (07-19-2017), Vettedreamer74 (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 05:30 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

I always get positive comments about my 72. There is a good classic car community around here and they appreciate old cars. .

It is funny though when I drive my C7 I get unsolicited comments like: "well if I had a Corvette, it would have to be one of the old ones"

Usually I respond to that by saying "well I also have a 72 which I love, but it is not a practical car to drive cross country." (I mainly use my C7 for road trips.)

So basically, regardless of the comments about either of my Vettes, I try to respond in a kind and considerate manner, unless the ***-clown is just dissing my cars, then I just ignore the moron and walk away.

The good thing about owning a Corvette (or some might consider it a bad thing) is that it is the all-American Sports car and everyone seems to take ownership (speaking figuratively.) That means that everyone THINKS they are an expert on Corvettes because Uncle Henry or Cousin Burt had one at one time. For the most part I enjoy these conversations, especially the ones with people who actually did own a Corvette in the past.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:05 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,693 Likes on 2,936 Posts

This was the best and the first time this has happened to me. My wife and I dropped our Acura off at the dealership for it's first service yesterday. She drove directly over to service and I parked in front of the showroom in our white, 73, Coupe. Not even one salesman came outside to help me, not one opened the front door, and not one accosted me coming out of nowhere like they normally do. I got out of the car walked past the glass windows and noticed them just looking at the Corvette. Nice

Get notified of new replies

To What reactions do you get from driving your Corvette.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 PM
CVO2FIXUP
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

A kid told me he "played" my car the other day??? After thinking about it, he meant video games. So, who needs to own one eh?
Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm currently fixing up my '74 and I drop my wife off at school (teacher) and have to drive past the high school and elementary school on the way to work and home. Can't tell you how crazy excited the middle school kids get when I'm driving past. You can tell they've never seen a car with great style before. In fact, I've seen several kids with mouths just left open while I drive past. All the teachers love the car, and I get comments galore every time I'm driving it, and it's a 15-20 footer. Like said above, everyone likes talking to me at stoplights. But then again, Wisconsin people are really nice!!
Old 07-18-2017, 07:06 PM
Vettedreamer74
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Another quick thing. Talked with different guys when I was in Ireland in June, and they were just fascinated with Corvettes. Couldn't help but think how much attention C3's or just Corvettes in general would get over there!

Quick Reply: What reactions do you get from driving your Corvette.