Sponsored by:

78 Brake lines... What am I doing wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:14 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default 78 Brake lines... What am I doing wrong

OK so if you haven't seen my other posts, I have 78 SAE with 5,600 original miles and is in pretty pristine condition, except for the brakes. I was able to knock out the back in about 30 minutes. Replacing the calipers, soft and hard lines as they come in the replacement kits. The fronts on the other hand are a NIGHTMARE.... I have stripped both hardline nuts and bought the replacement lines to go back to the block. Now, tonight I put a wrench on the line for the driver side (the easy one) and it feels like it's going to strip also. (WHAT THE H E L L) So at this point I'm looking at replacing the whole system.... How can the front be so messed up?? There's no rust really, other than what you would find in a car that was stored in a climate controlled garage for the last 40 years. What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to just splice the hard lines close to the calipers and just get it back no the road until I'm ready to replace the whole system? This can't be this hard, the rear was a snap and I suppose that I'm paying for it now on the front. PLEASE HELP!!! I was able to pull the exhaust with nothing more than hand tools and a rubber mallet. That's how good the bottom side is.

Last edited by jlpskydive; 07-19-2017 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 07:40 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Are you using tools like these flare nut spanners ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KC-Tools-...YAAOSwq19XB1SY

you can get a better quality local for sure , these are in case you didn't know of them that's all.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:05 PM
JayRay
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Same thing happened to me, Rears were easy but the fronts started to strip. I used a small pipe wrench and was able to turn them with out stripping them further than what my open end wrenches already did. I have never had any luck with those, 3/8" I believe, hard line fittings.

Last edited by JayRay; 07-19-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:49 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've learned over the years that most flare nut wrenches are pretty soft. I have an assortment of MAC and Snap-on that seem to be fairly decent. I've had some Craftsman's that got tossed in the trash too. Also take a look at the flare nut crowfoot style. I've really had better luck with them than anything else.
Soak the line where it goes thru the nut- that's where they rust and seize.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Originally Posted by bazza77
Are you using tools like these flare nut spanners ?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/KC-Tools-...YAAOSwq19XB1SY

you can get a better quality local for sure , these are in case you didn't know of them that's all.
Yep, still not working.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:05 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Originally Posted by TimAT
I've learned over the years that most flare nut wrenches are pretty soft. I have an assortment of MAC and Snap-on that seem to be fairly decent. I've had some Craftsman's that got tossed in the trash too. Also take a look at the flare nut crowfoot style. I've really had better luck with them than anything else.
Soak the line where it goes thru the nut- that's where they rust and seize.
Thanks, I have some crows, but none that are flare. I have hit them with seafoam penetrator for a few days and still kicking my butt.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:06 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Originally Posted by JayRay
Same thing happened to me, Rears were easy but the fronts started to strip. I used a small pipe wrench and was able to turn them with out stripping them further than what my open end wrenches already did. I have never had any luck with those, 3/8" I believe, hard line fittings.
A pipe wrench sounds like a grand idea, can you send me a link to something similar that you used. The only one i have seen locally are HUGE. Even the small ones. I really think the might be the answer.
Old 07-20-2017, 12:29 AM
jlpskydive
Instructor

These are so locked in that I got a wrench on the lower soft lines and it twisted the hard lines. I was able to get the exhaust off in an hour, and the plugs out in 30 min. I just don't understand how these front lines are this locked on.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:40 AM
gungatim
Burning Brakes

Received 89 Likes on 84 Posts

honestly when I work on something that old I use the acetylene torch with a small welding tip. wet rag on the caliper or anywhere I want to stay cool and gently heat around the bleeder or line fitting (not the fitting itself) prior to trying to loosen it.

also going both directions with moderate force helps rock it loose.

you do have to be careful with the torch but a small tip gives you pretty good localized heat and control.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Heat is the answer,like gungatim said even if you have a propane torch just warm up the fitting and use a good flare wrench and try turning it both ways just a little,if it doesn't move add more heat.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Originally Posted by sparky77
Heat is the answer,like gungatim said even if you have a propane torch just warm up the fitting and use a good flare wrench and try turning it both ways just a little,if it doesn't move add more heat.
Do you think a heat gun would provide enough heat? I'm a little hesitant to put a flame to it with all the crap that I have sprayed all over the underside to loosen things up
Old 07-20-2017, 09:29 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

If you are just removing the old lines, cut them and use a 6 point socket on the nut. Or use a big vice grip.

For a penetrating oil, I like Deep Creep. Soak them for several days in a row prior to wrenching on them.

Last edited by SteveG75; 07-20-2017 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:04 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If GM had hardened the hex fittings on those lines, we wouldn't have all this trouble with removing brake lines. But, they saved .053 cents [estimated ] per fitting by not having them hardened.

The only tool I've found to be successful at removing those fittings is a 7/16" Snap-On crow-foot flare tool. It is fully hardened and you can add extensions to get at the fitting however it is positioned. Buy it on the internet and get it in a few days. Well worth it, if you are doing brakes.

The following users liked this post:
jlpskydive (07-20-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,653 Likes on 2,915 Posts

As stated above, heat is the key and I've used heat guns in the past. If a flex nut wrench won't work or crows foot, I would simply cut the tubing with a cutting tool and use a six point deep socket to break the nuts loose. Re-flare the tubing and splice in a replacement until you redo the system.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:30 PM
sparky77
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't think a heat gun would heat up the fitting good enough, I always use a propane torch with the smallest tip on it.I have never had one that I had to cut with a little patience . Heat the fitting try back and forth with the flare wrench and than repeat ,it will come loose.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:10 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

I just use a straight jaw visegrips to break it loose.
After it's loose, flare wrench to remove and tighten back up.
May leave some "lines" on the nut but doesn't chew it up like an ill fitting flare wrench.
Old 07-21-2017, 04:53 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If GM had hardened the hex fittings on those lines, we wouldn't have all this trouble with removing brake lines. But, they saved .053 cents [estimated ] per fitting by not having them hardened.

The only tool I've found to be successful at removing those fittings is a 7/16" Snap-On crow-foot flare tool. It is fully hardened and you can add extensions to get at the fitting however it is positioned. Buy it on the internet and get it in a few days. Well worth it, if you are doing brakes.

[=http://s574.photobucket.com/user/7T1vette/media/FRHM10%20Snap-On%20crowfoot%20line%20wrench_zpscfkupk8 1.jpg.html][L]
Photobucket would not give up the target of your hyperlink...the SnapOn crowfoot wrench...look at all the nonsense in that hyperlink. Photobucket gives the viewer everything but the target image...Mikey's drink, ads to Garden City and who knows what else.

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Brake lines... What am I doing wrong

Old 07-21-2017, 04:55 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette

[=http://s574.photobucket.com/user/7T1vette/media/FRHM10%20Snap-On%20crowfoot%20line%20wrench_zpscfkupk8 1.jpg.html][L]
Photobucket would not give up the target of your hyperlink...the SnapOn crowfoot wrench. Photobucket gives the viewer everything but the target image...Mikey's drink, ads to Garden City and who knows what else.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:50 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,479 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA
I just use a straight jaw visegrips to break it loose.
After it's loose, flare wrench to remove and tighten back up.
May leave some "lines" on the nut but doesn't chew it up like an ill fitting flare wrench.
Just did this on my 71 and had no problems replacing the rubber lines.
Old 07-21-2017, 12:57 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Not all line wrenches are the same, my Craftsman set has never failed me. With a quality wrench held squarely on the fitting with one hand, hit the end with a hammer to shock it loose. Be sure to wedge a wrench on the hose to keep it from moving as you strike the line wrench and negating your effort. Heat with a torch might help before you start. If you don't have an oxy-acetylene set, not needed for this job, keep a map gas torch handy (yellow cylinder), it has many uses beside freeing stubborn nuts & bolts. Vise Grips work, but will bugger up your line fitting and doesn't look professional and poor workmanship IMO. Sorry to hear the car is fighting you, but just an initiation to the world of C-3 restoration. Hang in there, it all works out in the end!

Quick Reply: 78 Brake lines... What am I doing wrong