Sponsored by:

block decked/#'s matching gone/remorse

Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 AM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default block decked/#'s matching gone/remorse

1969 convertible, 427/390 hp, 4 speed. The 69 is nothing very special but one of the reasons it was purchased was it had a numbers matching 427. Project creep resulting in pulling the motor and sending it to the machine shop for nearly everything. I knew the oil pressure was marginal. Shop calls and says it is virgin but needs to be decked or they will not guarantee their work. I stewed on it and asked if the numbers could be saved. No., but have taken pictures, paper rubbing, and movie of the procedure. I am sick but this car will be driven lots, and could not see broken down thousands of miles away with wife not happy. Have I blown this all out of reason in my mind? Your opinions are requested. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images  
Old 07-22-2017, 10:24 AM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They sell stamping kits. Looks like it needs 2 different fonts and sizes. Have a pro do it. A very good craftsman can re-stamp this.
Considering so many people do this to counterfeit blocks, it's actually refreshing to see someone use the tools for legit reasons.
-W
PS: I hope to Cod you told them NOT to re-stamp it with some "internal" number for their own tracking records!
PPS: You've been a member here long enough that you should have thought to ask here first before pulling triggers.

Last edited by Clams Canino; 07-24-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,398 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You know its matching numbers, whether its on the pad or not, so that's all that matters. Bragging about it to others, or showing off your numbers like some badge of honor may be fun, but in reality you know what you have and that is what counts. Its one of those things that I am glad I am not concerned about. My car has a ZZ4 modified 350 that kicks butt, and that matching numbers motor sits in my basement.....and I doubt I ever touch it. Its just a boat anchor now. What really makes a difference to me is what happens when I push on the gas pedal when I want to go fast.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 07-22-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Maybe call another shop?

Maybe call another shop? I thought you could machine around the pad, likely just more time and trouble and so cost?
Old 07-22-2017, 11:59 AM
JohnnyQuik
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
You know its matching numbers, whether its on the pad or not, so that's all that matters. Bragging about it to others, or showing off your numbers like some badge of honor may be fun, but in reality you know what you have and that is what counts. Its one of those things that I am glad I am not concerned about. My car has a ZZ4 modified 350 that kicks butt, and that matching numbers motor sits in my basement.....and I doubt I ever touch it. Its just a boat anchor now. What really makes a difference to me is what happens when I push on the gas pedal when I want to go fast.
It makes a significant difference in terms of the car's value, especially on a desirable car like a '69 BB. Has it already been done now? If so there's no point in worrying about it. I have no issues at all with restamping blocks that are actually original to the car, assuming it can be done well enough it doesn't look like a fake.

Last edited by JohnnyQuik; 07-22-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

If you already had it decked, its done. Nothing you can do about it now, but anyone looking for a born with engine that has no stories will not give you top dollar when you go to sell it.

If you go and attempt to restamp it, that will just make matters worse. Nobody seems to ever get the stamping right. At least, not good enough to fool anyone who knows what they are looking at. And of course then you have to replicate the broach marks. I don't think it would help. It might raise even more questions.

The more professional engine builders I speak to say that there are very few reasons why its necessary to have to deck the engine block.

There is no question that wiping out the engine pad is not going to help the value of your car when it comes time to sell it.

For now, just enjoy it for what it is.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:18 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Since you have a picture. I would contact restoration shops for a reference to a machine shop who knows what they are doing. Myself I'm not a fan of the matching numbers thing, but I understand it. I'm planning a engine change, with the original one sitting on a pallet. Mostly because too many negative comments about selling modded cars. If I sell, I can put the stock one back in it. Then put my hot rod engine in something else.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:35 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 258 Likes on 206 Posts

you paid a matching number price for the car when you bought it.

you can take all the pictures and rubbings of the numbers you want. if that block does not have the factory broach marks, the correct patina, the fonts and the spacing and placements and proper strikes of the character stamping from the factory, then I as a buyer, will not pay you a numbers matching premium for your car when it comes time to sell. no matter what evidence you show me.

you need to find a different machinist shop. simple as that. with a shop making statements like that.. go somewhere else. the owner is just trying to make a boat payment.
most restampers are bad restampers. they might fool the rookie, but not someone looking at paying a numbers matching premium for a 69 big block.
and the ones that do it well and fool most of the people most of the time will require your block shipped to them both there and back adding a 1000$ shipping cost to their 4 figure fee. plus there is no way to replicate the patina that their broaching procedure will wipe out.

if they already have decked your block, then at least still you have a date correct engine minus a stamp.. which is not as bad as a wrong date engine with no stamp.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:47 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 271 Likes on 207 Posts

Is it a done deal? If not, seriously, find another shop. No doubt in my mind that it can be decked and the numbers can be saved. I would also get a 2nd opinion to determine if it needs to be decked at all.

Your car is special BTW.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:56 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 402 Likes on 325 Posts

Have I blown this all out of reason in my mind?

Yes. Don't beat yourself up over it.

What's done is done.

You now have a rebuilt motor with good oil pressure and a guarantee.

You have pics, a rubbing, a movie, and a motor with all the correct part numbers and build dates. That's a lot better than nothing.

I wouldn't re-stamp it. What if the results are bad? I think a lousy looking re-stamp would be worse than a blank pad. Come sale day just tell the truth of what happened.

Enjoy the car with your wife and don't worry about it.
Old 07-22-2017, 02:05 PM
USAFVeteran
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I had my 1971 LS-5 454 at the machine shop a while back, and I instructed them not to take the numbers off the block, they were very important to me. Thank goodness the top of the block was within specs and they didn't have to deck it. But had they done it, he said they could and would go around it.

Now, that motor lives again, in my 69 t-top with about 550hp. I'm a happy little camper.......
Old 07-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi ss,
I'm sorry this happened to you.
When I posted my first reply I was thinking that the block hadn't been decked yet…. so I deleted it.
I think decking the block and removing the original pad's surface and stamps has SERIOUS ramifications.
The sad part is that the pads surface and stamps could have been saved by the machine shop.
Is this something you need go into a 'funk' about ?…. no.
Make no mistake though, it has affected your car's value and how your car will be perceived.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 07-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:01 PM
Tiger Joe
Drifting

Received 517 Likes on 343 Posts

The numbers could have been saved. Just would have required the shop to stop the machine before it hit the numbers. Unfortunate.

Last edited by Tiger Joe; 07-22-2017 at 06:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:31 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Have I blown this all out of reason in my mind?
Yes

You have a pic, its documented;people will look for anything they can find to offer you less. I mean thats somes main concern so problem solved

Better to rebuild it right anyway, your car isnt worth a penny less (id pay more for a proper rebuild than a halfassed one)

Topic is so overblown it isnt even funny.

Last edited by cv67; 07-22-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 04:12 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,216 Likes on 1,729 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette

Topic is so overblown it isnt even funny.

I had my autographed Joe Montana Football....Accidentally my cleaning lady cleaned it with I don't know what- now the autograph is gone!!!

I just got a sharpie and now you can't even tell...
Old 07-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,657 Likes on 1,398 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

It becomes more clear to me as I continue reading postings in this forum that there are at least two worlds of Corvette owners.

One world is those who fret and worry about originality, their "investment" in numbers matching car, they place restrictions on everything they could do or not do on the car because it might not be original any more and some judge somewhere will frown upon them in disgust. The extreme end of this world is that the car never is taken out of the garage except on a trailer,....and certainly is not driven. Their interest is in preservation, historical accuracy, and how much money the car is worth if sold. Has almost nothing to do with the enjoyment of driving the car. It still is an interesting hobby and I do respect that for what it is.

The other world are those that love Corvettes just as much as the first, but actually want to enjoy operating them, driving them, and have no qualms straying from originality in order to make the whole experience better. They are not saddled with restrictions, nor do they car about anybody judging them for what they have done with their car. They are Corvette fans as much as anyone, and get the added bonus of using the car for what it was made for....driving.

Its hard to live in both worlds, so I think you need to pick one. Being stuck between them has to be very frustrating. I am very happy to be in the second described world. And even if I wanted to be part of the other group, I own a 77, which the first group typically has no interest in, claims they are of no value anyway, and frowns on anything without chrome bumpers. And I really don't care what the car can be sold for, cause I have no intention of selling it. I built it for me, to drive.

I realize your car may not sell for the amount it could with a bunch of numbers stamped on an engine pad, but things like that are one reason I don't want to be part of that crowd. It seems very sad when you think about it. Its all about money, and not about the car and what it should bring to the owner in satisfaction. Is the car really less satisfying to you as the owner of a 69 427 4-speed Corvette? Think about it. I would be out enjoying that sweet machine on the highway, and not worrying about stamped numbers on an engine pad.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 07-22-2017 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-22-2017, 08:13 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

I personally would have it restamped. It's called restoration when you make it look like it did from the factory, right?

That being said, I know of a lot of cars, including a 63 coupe, that have non original restamped engines so restamping an original wouldn't bother me if it looked right and I believed your evidence.

The 63? The owner knows I know and I'm not telling, but if I could afford the car and he put it up for sale I would say look, I know what horsepower this should be, so that's where I'm at on price.

But that's not the story with your car.

Last edited by BarryB72; 07-22-2017 at 08:28 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To block decked/#'s matching gone/remorse

Old 07-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BarryB72
I personally would have it restamped. It's called restoration when you make it look like it did from the factory, right?

That being said, I know of a lot of cars, including a 63 coupe, that have non original restamped engines so restamping an original wouldn't bother me if it looked right and I believed your evidence.

The 63? The owner knows I know and I'm not telling, but if I could afford the car and he put it up for sale I would say look, I know what horsepower this should be, so that's where I'm at on price.

But that's not the story with your car.
I agree, but you'd need to study pics and get great references for the restamper. There's no 2nd chance at that job. It's pass or fail.
And yes - this is only about the car's perceived value. Fun factor and reliability have been improved.
-W
Old 07-22-2017, 08:41 PM
sshort67
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks to all who have replied. All of your thoughts are much appreciated. This is one heck of a group. Thanks Steve Short
Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 PM
bkvette3
Safety Car

Received 93 Likes on 82 Posts

Block decked - numbers gone - I would be choked. . Numbers could have been saved.

Moving forward - whats' done is done. Enjoy the car.

Regards, BK3

Last edited by bkvette3; 07-23-2017 at 06:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: block decked/#'s matching gone/remorse