'69 modded vert body on top of C6 Z06 platform - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

Go Back  CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 General
Reload this Page >

'69 modded vert body on top of C6 Z06 platform

Notices
C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'69 modded vert body on top of C6 Z06 platform

Old 07-30-2017, 11:35 AM
3JsVette
CF Senior Member

Great project! Extensive project too. The proportions look amazing good which is no small task.
Please keep the pictures coming.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:06 PM
Richard Daugird
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by aussieross01 View Post
We needed to buy a minimum of 10, so amortized over 5 cars wasn't a horrid situation, we'd each have a spare screen, and they would cost about $600Aus each.
Hope these pics help explain
That's $478 American, not bad for a custom windsheild. A windsheild for my '65 Riviera is $350.

Last edited by Richard Daugird; 07-31-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2017, 02:35 PM
60 SHARK
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 3JsVette View Post
Great project! Extensive project too. The proportions look amazing good which is no small task.
Please keep the pictures coming.
I'm enjoying this post, a nice brake from the cookie cutter builds, we'll done, awesome planning!!! Nice updates
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richard Daugird View Post
That's $478 American, not bad for a custom windsheild. A windsheild for my '65 Riviera is $350.
Yes, but ours is made in China, and I'm guessing yours is made in the good 'ole US of A.
When I was in the States last year we visited Foose's workshop in LA. We spoke to the guy running the tour about our dilemma with these windshields, and he sent us around the corner to this guy making windshields. Lovely guy, fabulous place, we had a great experience, but was talking around $10k US to make a pattern:- ouch!!!

We would have much rather use American screens, but this was not to be.
I'm not thrilled to be using Chinese screens, but it is what it is.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:35 PM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by 60 SHARK View Post
I'm enjoying this post, a nice brake from the cookie cutter builds, we'll done, awesome planning!!! Nice updates
Thanks for that. Please if you want to know anything, let me know. I'm happy if you guys want to keep this post alive. I'm stoked if it inspires and helps someone else realise their dreams.
Sure most want to see the project finished, but there's quite a way to go, and that's a while off. In the meantime there's a bunch going on, and a lot of it is mundane stuff, that will make most people's eyes glaze over!!!
Old 07-31-2017, 09:39 PM
RJ1AZ
CF Senior Member

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.

Thanks for that. Please if you want to know anything, let me know. I'm happy if you guys want to keep this post alive. I'm stoked if it inspires and helps someone else realise their dreams.
Sure most want to see the project finished, but there's quite a way to go, and that's a while off. In the meantime there's a bunch going on, and a lot of it is mundane stuff, that will make most people's eyes glaze over!!!
You might be surprised. I'd venture that most forum members don't have anywhere near the facilities/tools it looks like you have at your disposal....nor the inclination to tackle a project of this scope and size!
But, we can vicariously enjoy the process. I know I do.

I'd love to see some more in-depth explanation of your process for figuring what and where to cut, and how to get it all properly glassed back together.

I'm curious about the front end. Looks like the angle of the bumper is going to need to be adjusted to account for the changes to the nose. Are you going to do something custom, or just cut the bumper, re-weld at the correct angle and re-chrome?

Rick
Old 07-31-2017, 10:48 PM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RJ1AZ View Post
You might be surprised. I'd venture that most forum members don't have anywhere near the facilities/tools it looks like you have at your disposal....nor the inclination to tackle a project of this scope and size!
But, we can vicariously enjoy the process. I know I do.

I'd love to see some more in-depth explanation of your process for figuring what and where to cut, and how to get it all properly glassed back together.

I'm curious about the front end. Looks like the angle of the bumper is going to need to be adjusted to account for the changes to the nose. Are you going to do something custom, or just cut the bumper, re-weld at the correct angle and re-chrome?

Rick
Well Rick, we don't have as many facilities as you may think. Sure not as flash or as comprehensive as seen on some of these car building shows on the telly.
It's just a 40 year old tin shed on a ruiral property that seen some action over the years.
Boys have trouble getting motivated this morning, and huddled around the old slow combustion heater I put in a couple of years ago.

In terms of knowing where to cut and modify, we are largely confined to modifying to suit the C6 donor car, and tweak it here and there to make it look right. Some things we can change, others we can"t.
It amazed me we needed to move the front wheel arch back as far as we did:- certainly didn't have to do to this extent when we built Prodigy, and that was a C5 Z05 with a C2 body.

At the end of the day we took about 2.5" from side to side just in front of the windscreen, and the area in front of the wheel arch we added 2".
Then we decided to add 1" to the height ( refer pic ), just because it looked better.
All this because we needed to move the wheel arch back 4.5":- that was not negotiable, but how we achieve that was, to a point.
Essentially we cut and pieced together what we had to do ( as demonstrated in the pics ), and then just played around until we got what we thought was right.
I mean, if you look at what we did, it reads awful:- widen the rear of the front clip 7.5", down to only 2" widening at the very front, move the wheelarch back 4.5":- never dreamed we'd have to do that, but it works!!!. Honestly, we just fly by the seat of our pants, have fun, and make it look like a tough C3. Ohh! did I mention it's nearly 3" shorter than an original C3 front.
Not meaning to sound casual, because a lot of thought went into this build, it's just not how we imagined it to proceed.

Yes, we've cut up the front bumper to suit the mods. I'm personally not chroming my bumpers, but the cars must have bumpers. Not sure what my friends are doing yet, but I'm sure a couple of them want to chrome theirs.
Still refining the front clip before I flop a mold of it, so front bumper has a way to go yet.
Enough for this post.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2017, 12:20 PM
Richard Daugird
CF Senior Member

Boys have trouble getting motivated this morning, and huddled around the old slow combustion heater I put in a couple of years ago.
A heater in August?!?!? That's crazy! It's hotter than Hell here!
Old 08-02-2017, 12:59 PM
jlpskydive
CF Senior Member

Winter down there, they say the same about us in December.... Well not me I live in Florida and have turned the heat on twice in the last three years.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:37 PM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Yep, our winter starts 1st of June till end of August. Gets down to around 5 degrees C., heater real nice at the moment.
We are looking forward to 1st of September when spring kicks in.
In the meantime, need to keep the project progress ticking along
Old 08-03-2017, 10:42 PM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Pic 1

Shows attachment of widened and modified C3 windshield frame onto the aluminium "A" pillars of the C6 Z06.
You'll note we used the top section of the C3 "A" pillar. This was done as reference point for mounting the original C3 door hinges and doors. Worked a treat. Also, as we are using C3 door glass, we need to make sure we have good sealing between glass and the C3 windscreen rake.

Pic 2

Down here in Australia, every critical aspect of the build needs to be signed off by a certified engineer. If you don't do this, you have zero change of ever getting the car registered for road use here. here, one of our team members, Roger, is explaining the construction and attachment method of the windscreen frame to our 2 engineers. Good result here, they were more than happy. Another challenge ticked off.
Attached Images   
Old 08-03-2017, 10:59 PM
car junkie
CF Senior Member

There are many here that would love to have government "engineers" sticking their noses in our garages as well. Thank God we are not quite there yet.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:03 PM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by car junkie View Post
There are many here that would love to have government "engineers" sticking their noses in our garages as well. Thank God we are not quite there yet.
Mate, they are not 'government' engineers. They are just certified engineers, whose credentials are accredited here. We choose who we use. It's not as sinister as you might think, and I personally do not have a problem with it.
We think we do things pretty well, but it's comforting to have critical elements checked and signed off on.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

Nice work!!!

I have seen several of the resto-mods AKA replicars where they just swap the body panels and leave the windshield- really doesn't look right.

Haven't seen any C3s- but a lot of C2s.

Glad to see you are dong it "right."

Food for thought on the wiper arms and the much wider window.

Since most cars use the tandem system- look at the Buick Rendezvous- as they are the only modern car that uses the opposed system like the Vettes. Their windshield is wide as well and might be the easy button to handle the wiper arm mod.

Buick mid 2000's wiper system-

Richard
Old 08-04-2017, 12:09 AM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Richard454 View Post
Nice work!!!

I have seen several of the resto-mods AKA replicars where they just swap the body panels and leave the windshield- really doesn't look right.

Haven't seen any C3s- but a lot of C2s.

Glad to see you are dong it "right."

Food for thought on the wiper arms and the much wider window.

Since most cars use the tandem system- look at the Buick Rendezvous- as they are the only modern car that uses the opposed system like the Vettes. Their windshield is wide as well and might be the easy button to handle the wiper arm mod.

Buick mid 2000's wiper system-

Richard
Hey Richard, thanks for that. Good advice. Of course, us being down here we are not exposed to much of the stuff you guys have, and we mostly make do with what we have down here.

With the wipers, just checkout the pic. What we've done, is once the width of our screen was determined, we used a fibreglass mockup ( haven't got our screens yet ), and played with the original C3 wiper assembly to get it to work with the extra width. We needed to play with the pivot points somewhat, and of course lengthen the arms, but after a bit of experimenting, we got the extra travel we needed. We also are using the C6 wiper motor, as it will talk to the factory BCM, which we plan on using.

Yes, like you, I'm not a fan of these modern windscreen rakes on these 'replicas', but I'm reckoning you need to get used to it. I don't believe it would be commercially viable to do what we do, but I totally agree with your sentiments:- hence, what we do
Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 AM
car junkie
CF Senior Member

Mate, they are not 'government' engineers. They are just certified engineers, whose credentials are accredited here. We choose who we use. It's not as sinister as you might think, and I personally do not have a problem with it.
We think we do things pretty well, but it's comforting to have critical elements checked and signed off on.

If there is a law that forces you to have government certified engineers come into your shop and sign off on your modifications. I don't know what else you could call them if they are there to ensure that you are in compliance with government safety mandates. It's obviously not voluntary and they represent the governments interests in the name of public safety. Glad you're OK with it but it is what it is.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:37 AM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by car junkie View Post
If there is a law that forces you to have government certified engineers come into your shop and sign off on your modifications. I don't know what else you could call them if they are there to ensure that you are in compliance with government safety mandates. It's obviously not voluntary and they represent the governments interests in the name of public safety. Glad you're OK with it but it is what it is.
Sure saves the cowboys of this world putting unsafe cars on the road.. I think in years gone past we've all seen vehicles on the road that are patently unsafe, and in my view they have no right to be exposing other road users driving around in potential death traps.
Hell, I sound like my old man.
"Government interests", sounds like a conspiracy!!!. Yes, I could be cynical and agree with you, and yes again the regulations sometimes frustrate me enormously. Regulations are often poorly devised and executed, but as you said:- it is what it is.
This is where we live, and these are the rules we live by.
As retired folk building cars as part of our bucket lists, we always strive to do the best we can, and we think we maintain pretty high standards. The engineers we use, are yet to pull us up on anything, and that's how we like to keep it.

As I stated previously, I have zero issue with this.
Appreciate your point of view thou.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:35 AM
aussieross01
CF Senior Member

Default Project update

Hi Guys,

Been slow going here, but have finally completed mockup of complete front, molds made, and the following pics show the first copies from the molds.

Pic1 Shows a top shot of the front, and mods listed to achieve our objective. The yellow tape shows the widening process. 25mm added right down the centre and the remainder was achieved by widening through the valley of the body down each side. 175mm widened total at base of windscreen, and only 50mm at the very front. We think it looks great, but reads all wrong, and nothing like we originally planned.

Pic 2 Everything virtually handmade. You'll notice the C6 front marker lamps. We are using early chrome bumper C3 grille surrounds and bumperettes. We plan on extending these to suit new grille opening with an original modified front bumper. Grille will look like standard, but of course be deeper.
Front chin spoilers made to keep air from getting under the C6 undercarriage, plus it looks way cool. It will look like a C3 chrome bumper on steroids coming towards you.

Pic 3 Profile shot shows huge changes over standard. Needed to cut
60mm from side to side just forward of base of windshield, and then move the wheel arches back a further 50mm, which of course then lengthened the nosecone by 50mm. Then had to juggle the 4 side gills in a shortened 110mm panel, but we are real happy with result. It was always a matter of balance, and what looked right. We had no control over moving the wheelarch back 110mm, but we could choose how we did it in order for the design to work. Like all design cues we use, we fly by the seat of our pants:- if we love the result, we run with it. If we have to 'justify' any course of action, then it's wrong, start again, try something else
Attached Images    
Old 02-21-2018, 02:41 AM
NAVY08
CF Senior Member

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Incredible! Looking forward to seeing how you tackle the grill and chrome work surrounding.

You certainly picked the best year C3 to work with... but then again, I might be biased
Old 02-21-2018, 11:04 PM
Richard454
CF Senior Member

WOW- that is really turned out fantastic!!!

The other day I saw a salvage titled wrecked C6 and a 72 body on Craigslist... and was thinking...but I've got too much going on now.

What are you guys planning to do with the interior?

This is not a Vette - but an interesting remake of a Jag XKE- using a newer XKR V8 underneath. These are selling for about $200K USD!!!

Made by Beechham Motors in NZ.

I saw one at a local Car show a few months ago- really well done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: '69 modded vert body on top of C6 Z06 platform

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: