Sponsored by:

Advance timing or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Dusty Roads
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advance timing or not?

I have a 77, all original corvette which I love, but always feel like I have to put my foot into it whenever taking off. Would setting the timing up two degrees help this at all? I hear pro's and con's, just wondering.

Thanks, Dusty Roads
Old 07-26-2017, 09:00 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Here is all the info you need for timing. It's a long read, but when you are done you will be able to understand the benefits, especially a stock engine. There is more to timing than just setting it with a timing light to a factory spec. A timing "makover" will make it seem like a completely different car.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...long-post.html
Old 07-26-2017, 09:12 PM
Dusty Roads
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. It is a good read and very helpful.
Old 07-27-2017, 07:48 AM
Jonz79
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

DR,
I have a 79, L-48. Got the car with only 9,540 original miles on it, so it was 100% all original. Still had the factory engine inspection tag on the distributor.
I read Lars's tuning article, and looked at other posts regarding timing/advance. I proceeded to remove all of the smog-related parts off the Vette. (no air pump on mine) I purchased the Moroso kit, went with the lightest springs, and also purchased the vacuum can Lars recommends.
These mods, along with opening up the exhaust (new) made the car feel like a different car. It pulls and pulls now, all the way through the rpm band, and is a rocket off the line. No pinging, even on hot days. (I run Shell 93) The car runs so good now it's just silly, even being an L-48. It is nothing to be embarrassed about....and I have owned some very fast cars. These engines are very dialed-back from the factory. Once you get them breathing, and timed, they run great.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:21 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

My '76 L-82 factory timing recommended 12* initial advance on ported vacuum. My modified 355 now likes 22* initial advance on manifold vacuum source. I won't go back to the factory recommendation.

Get notified of new replies

To Advance timing or not?

Quick Reply: Advance timing or not?