This 69 - buy or leave it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 09:09 AM
knuckleherby
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default This 69 - buy or leave it?

Hello again,

since a long time i´m looking for a 69 and now i have found this vette, which could be the right one.

http://www.diversionmotors.com/1411_69_Vette.html

well, i´m too far away to check the car personally, maybe somebody knows more about this 69 and can tell me - buy or leave it

the last option would be is to order a vehicle appriser

Thanks in advance

Herby
Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by knuckleherby
Hello again,

since a long time i´m looking for a 69 and now i have found this vette, which could be the right one.

http://www.diversionmotors.com/1411_69_Vette.html

well, i´m too far away to check the car personally, maybe somebody knows more about this 69 and can tell me - buy or leave it

the last option would be is to order a vehicle appriser

Thanks in advance

Herby
Looks like a nice car. I think I saw it on Ebay recently. Maybe I missed it but did they post the VIN? Just wondering if it an original side exhaust car. In my opinion, that would add some decent value (if you like SE). If the car was built prior to Dec 68 (I think) the SE is not original.

Any documentation?

I think the price is not crazy, but you can likely whittle it down a bit.
The following users liked this post:
knuckleherby (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 10:21 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

looks really nice from here , BUT you still need to get someone you trust or unbiased to check it out in person . Good set of pics but they don't show the birdcage trouble areas. Underneath has been cleaned up (and painted ) a black to make it look nice , from what I can see it doesn't look like they have covered any rust pitting . they have painted everything black which can be to cover bad areas, a viewing in person would see through any attempted deception almost straight away. some new parts on it , new brake line on the rear left caliper , new wheel weights =new tyres maybe ? some paint over the trim plate ,looks like some careless masking . the area just above that trim plate that looks "crusty " is kind of normal to a factory made c3

What can happen is they say its so many miles done but the first owner could have driven it in snow and had the rot set in , even if it spend the last 45 years in a dry climate the rot is still in it . They say it has a rust free frame but they don't mention its an ORIGINAL rust free frame . No close up pics of the inside of the doors as well , they usually show rust(just the outside skin is glass .)

I'm just picking it to death ,it just pays to assume the worst and look for it (rust) , when you don't find it then that's a big hurdle over and its down to handling and mechanical issues ,or lack of . it looks a lovely car and certainly sounds nice.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:24 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Looks like a nice, complete, no BS car for the money. The ad is well written, the dealer uses the term original motor (instead of matching numbers) and there are plenty of underbody pictures. You just need to look for rust in the A pillars and in the body mount areas behind the kick panels and in front of the rear wheels. I would prefer the car was not rattle-canned black underneath...but that can be remedied should you ever decide to restore it.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:29 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Just checked the VIN on the Ebay listing. Car was built in Feb 69 so the side exhaust may be original.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:31 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
...Just wondering if it an original side exhaust car...
I lean toward No since the listing would almost certainly mention the pipes if they were original.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:34 AM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Received 657 Likes on 468 Posts

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
Looks like a nice car. I think I saw it on Ebay recently. Maybe I missed it but did they post the VIN? Just wondering if it an original side exhaust car. In my opinion, that would add some decent value (if you like SE). If the car was built prior to Dec 68 (I think) the SE is not original.

Any documentation?

I think the price is not crazy, but you can likely whittle it down a bit.
The last six of the vin are 717542 so it could be a real deal sidepipe car.

I have to be honest, I like this one. It checks some good boxes for me. Fair asking price for side exhaust car.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:37 AM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Either that or they do not have the documentation (tank sticker). Still has a lot of other options like tilt/tele, rear defrost, speed warning, PS. That smog isn't cheap either, especially if the pulley is original.

I am partial to original SE cars. I was lucky enough that my very partial tank sticker verified it was an original SE unit.

Last edited by avalonjohn; 08-02-2017 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Appears to be a very clean car and nothing in the pictures or ad make my hair standup.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:07 AM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 444 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I like it!
If looking I would consider it a top choice for a very nice driver car.
I don't know if 32k is right for these today or not?
Marshal
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi H,
This looks like a nice car.
I'm wondering if the price is too low for what the car appears to be in the photos considering it's at a car dealer.
Since it seems this car will be going to Europe I think it would be wise to pay someone who is both knowledgable and responsible to look at the car for you and give you their thoughts. You really don't want an 'appraiser' you want someone to look at the car in detail for you.
You want someone with specific 68-69 experience, not just 'collector car' or 'Corvette' experience.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-02-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:19 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

My 69 was a NOV 68 build and came with factory sidepipes. (Long since gone)
Old 08-02-2017, 06:19 PM
knuckleherby
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks to all your comments!

That help me a lot,
the last owner was a full-time mechanic and did all his own work.
now i got more pics

behind the kick panel, all i can see looks good, but i asked for pics with removed loudspeakers ... coming soon, and if the A pillar looks well - going forward to the next step

the price is going down near 30k, i think he wants a fast deal - should worry me?

Herby
Old 08-02-2017, 06:40 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,480 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Here's my .02 of advice if I was you;

If this was me seriously looking for a 69 Vette (really like that color) this car would make my short list at the very least and most likely be at the top. At this point for me all I have to go on is 30 plus years owning C2/C3 Vettes, an internet Ad and some pictures.

I would call the seller tonight and set up an appointment for tomorrow or Friday to inspect the car. I would than get online tonight and book a R/T airline ticket. But I'm funny like that when I get laser focused on a car I want.

I flew from FL to OK (pre internet days) to look at a 66 BB only to look at the seller and say really dude. What a POS that car was for the asking price but I had to look.

Honestly not sure how long this car has been on the market but if this car is what it appears to be based on the Ad, pictures and talking to the seller I bet it will be gone by Saturday.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by knuckleherby
Thanks to all your comments!

That help me a lot,
the last owner was a full-time mechanic and did all his own work.
now i got more pics

behind the kick panel, all i can see looks good, but i asked for pics with removed loudspeakers ... coming soon, and if the A pillar looks well - going forward to the next step

the price is going down near 30k, i think he wants a fast deal - should worry me?

Herby
is that green paint? what is the factory color?
Old 08-02-2017, 09:20 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terry82
is that green paint? what is the factory color?
The green paint is the color of the primer or some form of rust inhibitor paint they used on all the cars in those areas of the birdcage.

The factory color looks like Cortez silver assuming it matches the trim tag.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:24 PM
ed427vette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mr D.
Here's my .02 of advice if I was you;

If this was me seriously looking for a 69 Vette (really like that color) this car would make my short list at the very least and most likely be at the top. At this point for me all I have to go on is 30 plus years owning C2/C3 Vettes, an internet Ad and some pictures.

I would call the seller tonight and set up an appointment for tomorrow or Friday to inspect the car. I would than get online tonight and book a R/T airline ticket. But I'm funny like that when I get laser focused on a car I want.

I flew from FL to OK (pre internet days) to look at a 66 BB only to look at the seller and say really dude. What a POS that car was for the asking price but I had to look.

Honestly not sure how long this car has been on the market but if this car is what it appears to be based on the Ad, pictures and talking to the seller I bet it will be gone by Saturday.
I saw the car awhile ago then it dissappeared. Then the car sold on eBay last week but the buyer backed out. The seller mentions it in his current eBay ad.

If its a real side pipe car its a nice deal especially by a dealer. He must have gotten it pretty cheap.

Get notified of new replies

To This 69 - buy or leave it?

Old 08-02-2017, 10:16 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I like it (a lot). May need to drive up to Manitowoc with some cash and see what happens... just kidding My wife would kill me, though I'd love this car.

Car will not sit for long probably but at the same time if you look at the video, the trees don't have leaves yet and the angle of the sun. So we're looking late April/early May at the latest when the video was taken. So it's been 3 months since the video was taken, hence why the guy wants a deal now. Plus it's probably next to impossible to sell nice old cars up there 2 months from now. Manitowoc is out there, an hour and a half from Milwaukee, 45 min from Green Bay or 2.5 hrs from O'hare. That may play into your favor in terms of traffic seeing this car.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:50 PM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

With all that fresh flat black paint or gooey spray on undercoating, I'm getting a bad vibe. I'm pretty sure I'm seeing substantial pitting in the rear kickup areas.

This is a dealer, they now how to detail to make stuff look a lot better than it is with photos, which photos do already.

It looks like a nice car in driver condition, #3 or #3 minus. If I bought it, I would probably redo everything. Nothing to lose sleep over for that price in my opinion, especially for a coupe.
Old 08-03-2017, 07:56 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi,

"the last option would be is to order a vehicle appriser"

The FIRST thing to do is to PAY a responsible, knowledgeable, person to carefully and thoroughly inspect and drive the car so they can advise you or discourage you from spending the $30,000, plus the many thousand of dollars and euros it will cost you to get the car to you.

There is NO good reason to rush into buying a car you don't know when you're many thousands of miles and an ocean away from it.

Regards,
Alan

Quick Reply: This 69 - buy or leave it?