Sponsored by:

1/2 car paint job

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:35 PM
upnorth
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 1/2 car paint job

Two years ago i hit a deer . Ended up with the car fixed from the front of the doors forward that part looks like new . What do you think it should cost to get the rest done , mid grade job ?
Old 08-15-2017, 12:39 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

If you are satisfied with the new paint, contact the folks who did it for an estimate.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM
upnorth
Racer

He did the front half under insurance , the repairs and paint were under 2500 . He wants $6000 to do the back problem is he takes for ever and i don't want to put that much more in the car .
Old 08-15-2017, 01:23 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by upnorth
He did the front half under insurance , the repairs and paint were under 2500 . He wants $6000 to do the back problem is he takes for ever and i don't want to put that much more in the car .

My first 77 (had it back in the early 80's), I had the same thing happen. Hit a deer while driving 55mph down a country road. Took out the front left head light ripping it and the brackets through the front fiberglass and into the hood. Dear rolled all the way across the car over the top and off the back. Insurance company wasn't willing to pay for an entire paint job, but because they knew matching paint would be next to impossible, they worked with me and it only cost me $300 out of my pocket and they picked up the rest. Insurance companies today are not so generous. If the guy did the repairs and paint for $2500 on the front, sounds like he's trying to screw you with the $6,000 price to do the back half of the car. I'm guessing that you are running into the same issue I did years ago in that it's hard to find a body shop that is willing to work on fiberglass. I could only find one in my area that would even consider it back then. Turns out he did one heck of a job on the car but he wasn't cheap. Just off the cuff, I'd say you should be able to find someone that would be willing to do the back half around the $3,000 mark if they don't have to do allot of body work. You might also consider doing the prep work yourself so that all they have to do is the paint job. That should lower your cost considerably. Sorry to hear about the misfortune of hitting the deer. I feel your pain. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:33 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm with a previous poster in that many places don't want to deal w/ fiberglass and bonding strips, etc.. I ran into that problem back in 2005 when I had mine repainted. Went to several body shops before one old school guy said he didn't want to deal with it, but his nephew would at his body shop a few miles away. Walked into the other body shop and there was a split window and a few other Vettes there in progress along with an Aston, a Viper, etc. It turned out gorgeous, but took forever. It's the nature of the beast.

In terms of cost, I can't see why they'd think they could get away with 6k more for half of the car. I'd imagine the front half was harder, but I'm no body/paint person. Dude probably just doesn't want to deal with fiberglass or has way too much business right now. I'd imagine you could get the rest done to match for around $3k.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:47 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Maybe if the back half got scratched some how in a parking lot or something the insurance would pick up the paint job.

But that wouldn't be right.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:50 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Maybe if the back half got scratched some how in a parking lot or something the insurance would pick up the paint job.

But that wouldn't be right.
LOL............backed into another deer ???? Probably would be a hard sell.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:03 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I'm in a similar situation also. Sounds like the painter bid very high $$$$ because he really doesn't want to work on the car/wants to make up for the work he did on the front clip/wants some extra vacation cash/etc.

But, body work isn't much fun or we'd all be doing it instead of the body shop doing the tedious skilled work.

Basically you can figure $20 a sq. ft. for body work and paint/parts are extra for a daily-driver paint job.....double that price for a quality paint job.....(don't even think about MAACO or similar shops when it comes to Corvettes)

I agree.......$3,000 to match/repaint the rear half of a daily driver/weekend driver down South is good....other areas of the nation may be higher/much higher.

My rookie opinion

Last edited by doorgunner; 08-15-2017 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:21 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

A Corvette shop in Lafayette Louisiana and a local shop here is Fort Worth gave me a rough estimate of $15K to paint my car, and it needs no body work.

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I'm in a similar situation also. Sounds like the painter bid very high $$$$ because he really doesn't want to work on the car/wants to make up for the work he did on the front clip/wants some extra vacation cash/etc.

But, body work isn't much fun or we'd all be doing it instead of the body shop doing the tedious skilled work.

Basically you can figure $20 a sq. ft. for body work and paint/parts are extra for a daily-driver paint job.....double that price for a quality paint job.....(don't even think about MAACO or similar shops when it comes to Corvettes)

I agree.......$3,000 to match/repaint the rear half of a daily driver/weekend driver down South is good....other areas of the nation may be higher/much higher.

My rookie opinion
Old 08-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Two years ago i hit a deer . Ended up with the car fixed from the front of the doors forward that part looks like new . What do you think it should cost to get the rest done , mid grade job ?
Not very much, go ask MACO they specialize in mid grade paint jobs. You might be surprised how inexpensive it is.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...He wants $6000 to do the back problem is he takes for ever and i don't want to put that much more in the car...
Consider getting a second or third estimate. No disrespect, Upnorth, but prices could vary across the country. Your best bet would be estimates in your local area.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:02 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

6k is an " I really dont want to unless you pay me a ton" price, seems most bodyshops want ins work

15k is crazy for basic body/prep and paint, are they taking the whole thing apart and putting it back together?
Old 08-15-2017, 03:36 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,173 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Originally Posted by crawfish333
A Corvette shop in Lafayette Louisiana and a local shop here is Fort Worth gave me a rough estimate of $15K to paint my car, and it needs no body work.
YIKES......must be a car show quality paint job! Here is a $9,000 job....

Old 08-15-2017, 03:57 PM
joewill
Safety Car

Received 261 Likes on 209 Posts

sell your car and buy one just like it already painted.. you will save a lot of money that way
Old 08-15-2017, 09:22 PM
croaker
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

15k better be perfect and then some

Get notified of new replies

To 1/2 car paint job

Quick Reply: 1/2 car paint job