Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 Totaled Today - will be looking for another

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:38 AM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

Hopefully you have collector insurance with an agreed upon value.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:17 PM
Jeffs 74
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dang! Sorry for your loss. How did the son take it?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:52 PM
scrappy76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by iwasmenowhesgone
Yeah, great, lets more of them in the country. Just another example.
How the f@ck did he have a license in the first place. Oh and what a piece of chit shop would hire him and let him drive any customers car. Sorry for your loss. I see you are in New Jersey, so now you do not have to name the shop. We have it narrowed down little bit.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 PM
shaun8484
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Sorry for the loss, but it looks like you are about to get a new one on their dime....
Old 08-19-2017, 10:29 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Nothing I can say... I'll limit it to incredible. I'd quote my FIL, but then I'd be persona no grata here.
Old 08-19-2017, 10:39 PM
Cooter Tech
Le Mans Master

Received 221 Likes on 154 Posts

Sad to see a car like that totaled. They going to make you whole for all the labor and expense you and your son have invested in the car? Pretty irresponsible shop owner to let an unlicensed illegal alien to drive a customers car. Has the illegal alien ran back to his homeland yet?
Old 08-20-2017, 12:46 AM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Well, I guess at least you get to go Corvette shopping. Will you be looking to get the same year/color combo, or something different?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:47 AM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Brutha.......

You gott'a take this thread up to off topic's ''politics religion, and controversy.
I'll slide ya a twenty...........
Fan's going to hit the sit on this.

Last edited by ramair_bryan; 08-20-2017 at 01:49 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:28 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

I dunno about laws in your state, but don't be surprised if the shop owner's ins. co. denies coverage, under some clause in his policy....

Old 08-20-2017, 09:25 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by JW3101
No, especially since the worker had no driver's license , was suspended and an illegal.
That is why you " NEVER " leave your Corvette at any repair shop where it is out of your site . It happened to me when I owned a low mileage C5 convertible and left it at a dealership overnight for warranty work . Someone took it home overnight in a rainstorm . The next morning when I went in to the garage at the dealership it was covered in mud and had 47 more miles on the odometer. The car was in for something that didn't even require driving it .
Old 08-20-2017, 10:35 AM
midigike
Drifting

Received 175 Likes on 141 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by bj1k
That is why you " NEVER " leave your Corvette at any repair shop where it is out of your site . It happened to me when I owned a low mileage C5 convertible and left it at a dealership overnight for warranty work . Someone took it home overnight in a rainstorm . The next morning when I went in to the garage at the dealership it was covered in mud and had 47 more miles on the odometer. The car was in for something that didn't even require driving it .
So sorry for the loss, that is absolutely horrible.

Driver never experienced all American torque like that before!

Sad but so true.
I had a no big deal '97 Chevy S10, but it was a big deal to me, 19, it was my first "new" truck. It was very nice, had a huge Rockford Fosgate stereo system. Waxed and straight as an arrow not a scratch or door ding on it.

Brought the truck in for service, on Tuesday and was there a couple days.
I get the call on Thursday truck is ready come get it anytime. Said I will be there later after 6 most likely working in the city - no problem
Go about 730 to go pick it up and they cannot find it, truck is MIA. They left me standing in the service area 25 mins. My blood boiling.
Manager comes back and says one of the service guys took it home! I was like WTF this is my personal car. Your too young for a loaner.
LSS... Came back the next day and it was keyed front to back passenger side- most likely by their service guy Eric. Then Eric had the ***** to say it came in like that- I lost my head- cold cocked the guy straight in the face across the counter, knocking him back he was in total shock. I grabbed my keys and left- everyone speechless, Eric in the process of getting a black eye, nothing ever came about it and I never lost my head like that again.

Lattoff Chevrolet- out of business

Last edited by midigike; 08-20-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-20-2017, 11:50 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Suffice to say, I left my '72 at Gordon Chebby down the street, Feb of last year, someone backed over my car nose with a jacked up pickup, in the bank parking lot, thankfully they did not just drive off, probably because of security cams.....

the stealership had the car for two weeks, and did basically nothing....

what little they did do was very poor work, and some stress cracks have shown up again in the last 1.5 years....but the paint overall is much better than the one I sprayed some years before that....

the guys there apparently go back some decades to a shop that is long since outta business due to crooked dealings, I happened to be instrumental in them going out of business...long story....

so the guys sabotaged the car in that two weeks they had it, but good...loosened the two front intake bolts on driver side #1 cyl, harder to see due to the injection setup.....poured liquid of some sort into the alternator, to burn up the rotor, essentially by attacking the formvar on the copper windings....and the worst of it is.....they pinned the brakes, causing them to fail on the front some months later.....what I mean is, two of them, one in the car presses in the brakes while second guy is feeling the piston/seal go forward, now to pull pin up to allow brakes to apply, upon slow release, hit the pin, pull pin up then down again to catch the back of the rubber seal, tell guy in car to release brake pedal, seal is torn enough to fail very rapidly after....took a few months, but I got the m/cyl apart after driving it on back brakes only...and found the defective seal, there is only ONE way that seal could fail in that way.....

nuff said.....

I did manage to get other much better body men to fix the car, and shoot an acceptable paint job, it's a 5-5 car 5 feet away at 5 mph, looks GREAT!!!

Old 08-20-2017, 07:01 PM
ramair_bryan
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Better......
Should take it over to off topic's ''Mafia hit man'' section.
They look like church boys next to you.........
Old 08-21-2017, 04:12 AM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Sorry to hear this. I know you and your son put a lot of work into this.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:29 AM
RMS73
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 217 Posts

Has the brake shop former employee been deported yet?
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Last year a friend of mine took his mountaineer to the brake shop and after installing the brakes, the owner took it out for a test drive, had a heat attack and died hitting a bunch of parked cars doing a total. His insurance paid for a replacement,.
Old 08-21-2017, 04:06 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

To OP....so sorry to hear about this. Especially after you had put work into it and were close.

To those jumping on the illegal alien bandwagon.....

Back in 1969 I was in charge of a gas station and was working under a car on a lift. The part time kid (white red blooded American) decided he was going to take the owner's personalized shop truck out to get lunch. Kid was only 15 but he knew where the keys hung up for the truck. On an overpass ramp he rolled it. Totaled it. Owner was off for the day.
Cops ticketed me for allowing a minor to operate a vehicle. Judge threw it out when kid testified that I did not allow him to take it. Owner was pissed for awhile but insurance fully replaced it.

Moral of the story....no one hurt, insurance paid, and STUPIDITY is not limited to illegal aliens.

Best wishes for OP to recover and get back on the road in a C3......

Maybe learn how to do your own brakes. I do everything I possibly can on all my cars just for this reason. My 67 Camaro (souped up) was in a body shop for 2 months in 1970. Came back with 500 extra miles on it and it was only in there for bodywork......
Also ALL of this was in NJ...............................

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Totaled Today - will be looking for another

Old 08-21-2017, 04:49 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
To those jumping on the illegal alien bandwagon.....
Moral of the story....no one hurt, insurance paid, and STUPIDITY is not limited to illegal aliens.
The "moral" of the story is that we all pay in these type of incidents in higher insurance rates. If the kid or his family in your story did not have to pay restitution we all lost, especially the kid. In this incident the kid should be deported, what part of illegal is not understood, and the shop owner should be fined for hiring the kid and should have to pay full restitution to the OP.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:29 PM
Richard Daugird
Melting Slicks

Received 717 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
I hate to hear it. Similar thing happened to the first Vette I ever bought.. a '93 40th Anni. Salesman joy riding
I still feel a bit guilty about this one. Was at a party many years ago. Need to take my car home and come back-car salesman buddy flips us the keys to a barley used mid 90s 'Vette like it was nothing. Didn't even belong to the lot, it was an individually owned consignment. I lived at the time in a rural area, late at night, no one around...We didn't ABUSE the car, but we sure had some fun...
Old 08-22-2017, 02:18 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Originally Posted by ntfday
The "moral" of the story is that we all pay in these type of incidents in higher insurance rates. If the kid or his family in your story did not have to pay restitution we all lost, especially the kid. In this incident the kid should be deported, what part of illegal is not understood, and the shop owner should be fined for hiring the kid and should have to pay full restitution to the OP.
Take it to PRC....they love your type over there.

Yours/my insurance goes up a whole dollar over the hundreds of thousands in the insurance pool and you want to deport the kid as your reaction.
Good thing the Native Americans did not have the same attitude with your ancestors...you would not be here.

Quick Reply: C3 Totaled Today - will be looking for another