C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car inspector before purchasing a car 700 miles away.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 05:35 PM
Hig116
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Car inspector before purchasing a car 700 miles away.

Hello,

This is my first post and will hopefully be followed by many more once I find that C3 of my dreams.

On that note, I think I found one 700 miles away and am considering hiring a company to inspect it. I've never done this before and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with one of these companies and if anyone had one they would recommend?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 08-18-2017, 05:47 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I think its important to say where it is that you want a inspector to check out a car .may cost more or less depending on location .You also may find some one here who good look at it for you .
Old 08-18-2017, 05:54 PM
Hig116
Racer

Default Good point

sorry about that, as it is important to know where I'm looking. The location is Oklahoma city area. Thank you
Old 08-18-2017, 07:37 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Hig116
sorry about that, as it is important to know where I'm looking. The location is Oklahoma city area. Thank you

If you can you put a link up to the sellers advert ,then we can have a look as well , we might find stuff that would save you the expense of hiring someone for an up close inspection
Old 08-18-2017, 08:58 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by bazza77
If you can you put a link up to the sellers advert ,then we can have a look as well , we might find stuff that would save you the expense of hiring someone for an up close inspection
This...we'll all jump in and try to help via pictures, and read the sticky thread on things to know before buying your first C3.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:25 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Keith,
I think it's important that the person who looks at the car for you understands what YOU are looking for in a Corvette and what's important to YOU.
Are you concerned with appearance, performance, originality, history, price?

Also, there are vast differences between the cars that make up the 68-82 years. The person doing the inspection should be very familiar with the year car you're asking him to look at. You don't want just a 'collector car' inspector nor do you want just a 'Corvette Person'.

Since you haven't given any information about the car you're considering it's a bit difficult to offer any blanket advice…. but…. I certainly wouldn't buy a 68-82 Corvette that I had seen in person and driven.
If you're unable to travel that far then I think you need to find a car closer to you so you can see it yourself. Cars ALWAYS look better in photos than they do first hand.
Good Luck!
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 08-19-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 07:38 AM
metal tech
Racer

Another option is to ask if anyone in the city of the cars location can go take a look and maybe be able to give you the info you need w/o hiring someone. With todays smart phone cameras you can get some crisp pics just like being there. I did this on my 81 I recently bought, the guy took better pics than the owner and gave me the info I needed to make a purchase. Just a thought.
Old 08-19-2017, 05:11 PM
ronarndt
Drifting

Received 252 Likes on 193 Posts

Hello,

This is my first post and will hopefully be followed by many more once I find that C3 of my dreams.

On that note, I think I found one 700 miles away and am considering hiring a company to inspect it. I've never done this before and wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with one of these companies and if anyone had one they would recommend?

Thanks,
Keith

Keith- you have already received a lot of good suggestions from forum members. I live in northern VA and three years ago found online a 68 BB convert that looked good at a wholesale "collector car" dealer in Texas. There were lots of photos in their ad and a detailed description of features and specs. I paid one or those inspection services to go look at the car to make sure 1) that there was an actual car for sale and 2) to look for glaring problems. They sent a "car collector" to do the inspection and I received a written report and more photos. Cost was about $250. I bought the car and have had fun and many interesting times with it. However- here's what the inspector missed or did not report:
1) no turn signals or parking lights on front of car, 2) windshield wipers/washers did not work, 3) shift linkage was incorrectly installed so normal shift pattern gave 1-2-4-3 gear selection, 4) No reverse lights on back (were removed and fiberglassed over), 5) no working horn, 6) no working parking brake (all internal parts were removed), 7) numerous electric problems with dash gauges and switches, 8) heater motor and controls did not work, 9) starter switch replaced with cheap switch from a lawn mower, 10) numerous body trim pieces missing or installed with wood screws.

So.....if you are going to use an inspector, have someone familiar with the particular year car compile a list of things you want the inspector to check. People on this forum can tell you the common things to look for each model year, engine type, body style etc.

Good luck with your car hunt. Hope you find a good one. RA

One thing I almost forgot. Check the car title and make sure everything matches the actual car. The Texas car dealer got several cars at once from another dealer and the title that came with the 1968 Corvette was from a 1968 Camaro. It took some last minute scrambling to get that worked out, since the previous owner was out of the country on vacation.

Last edited by ronarndt; 08-19-2017 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added addl info
Old 08-20-2017, 05:13 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Keith, I would be suspicious of a company...they may simply assign someone who as Alan and Arndt state, the individual should be familiar with the model year sufficiently to confirm serial numbers, date codes and paperwork. In addition to the detail, Alan lists, an operations check should be conducted as well. Corvette clubs with knowledgeable enthusiasts may be a better source and the forum here has been a good source to connect with those resources. The number Arndt states is the usual going fee for inspection, photos and written report.

But your inspector should ask what the plans are for this particular Corvette...driver, collector or restoration. Each will frame the inspector's look at the Corvette knowing your intent for the car.

Take some time and search on the forum here, others similar questions about inspection and see what their experiences were.

Get notified of new replies

To Car inspector before purchasing a car 700 miles away.

Quick Reply: Car inspector before purchasing a car 700 miles away.