Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got screwed by my painter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 09:45 PM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I prefer to keep it all business. I made a similar mistake hiring a "friend" who is a general contractor. As far as my Vette goes, it's only been to my upholsterer, no one else touches it.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:26 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Sorry to hear this.

My souped up 67 Camaro went in for insurance repair (right rear quarter panel and passenger door).....1971
They had it for 5 wks.
Got it back with ok work.
Had 600 extra miles on it.
And charged more than the insurance check. Would not let me kave it until I made up the difference.
There are good people and there are crooks out there in all businesses.

It is why I do all my own work unless I know someone who comes highly recommended.

Good luck with the new project

Dennis (Bman)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lobzila
Well, if its any consolation, my buddy painter took forever to finish my car. But my house was being remodeled at the time and I had nowhere to park my car at the time. He lost his job and took the car home and finished it. Seems I got lucky on my paint job. Sorry this happened to you.
I was remodeling my garage at the time I decided to get mine painted, and did the same. Found a local kid working out of a pole building behind his house that was trying to start a paint shop business. He took forever it seemed, but did a decent job. On the other hand he did not do everything he promised, but for the price I paid him, I got a great deal.

When I get to a place where I can afford a better paint job, I'll put it in a shop with a reputation for doing vettes.

In your case though,...there is no excuse for not taking care of the car while in his possession. He should be held responsible for damages.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:18 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

I have an update to share on my painter fiasco.

What happened to me and my car was just eating on me inside, so I decided to sit down and write a letter to the painter. It ended up being a 3 1/2 page letter. I wrote it like a deposition detailing everything from the first time the painter saw my car at my home until I got it back from him.Every conversation, all the broken promises and the damage to my car were all in there. I also stated I had photo evidence of what the car was like inside, outside and underneath before and after he got the car.

I stated I was considering legal action against him and I would share my story with everyone I know.

He called me the morning he received the letter apologizing and telling me how bad he felt. I told him I am going to do the bodywork myself now. He said he would give me any materials I needed and would block the car out and spray it for me when I was done.

I would never trust him with the whole job again, but blocking out and spraying is something he could do in a couple days.

It doesn't fix the damage to the car or the 3 years I lost while he had it, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Mike
Old 10-03-2017, 03:27 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing

What happened to me and my car was just eating on me inside, so I decided to sit down and write a letter to the painter. It ended up being a 3 1/2 page letter. I wrote it like a deposition detailing everything from the first time the painter saw my car at my home until I got it back from him.Every conversation, all the broken promises and the damage to my car were all in there. I also stated I had photo evidence of what the car was like inside, outside and underneath before and after he got the car.

I stated I was considering legal action against him and I would share my story with everyone I know.

He called me the morning he received the letter apologizing and telling me how bad he felt. I told him I am going to do the bodywork myself now. He said he would give me any materials I needed and would block the car out and spray it for me when I was done.

I would never trust him with the whole job again, but blocking out and spraying is something he could do in a couple days.

It doesn't fix the damage to the car or the 3 years I lost while he had it, but it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Mike
I am happy you got some closure on it,

We are human sometime we dwell and i have myself considered writting fmike but i know it would be more of the same,

A few months ago he told a mutual friend he was trying to sell parts to he missed my friendship and was gonna make it right,

Of course he didnt even try....bser to the end.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:05 PM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Mike
Good luck Mike......
Old 10-03-2017, 05:46 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Originally Posted by bmans vette
Good luck Mike......
with this also. Hope all goes well if you do what you plan on doing....seeing how it seems like your mind is made up....and anyones opinion on this is a mute point.

DUB
Old 10-03-2017, 07:54 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

When all is said and done the only opinion that matters pertaining to how you handle and deal with this is yours,

Some on here will only support you if you follow their opinion to the letter,

Im not that way,
I support what ever you do in this situation....

Last edited by The13Bats; 10-03-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:35 PM
radiotexas
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

A "friend" took 18 months to paint my car. He did a beautiful job, suffered a guilt attack and charged me only for material. And yes, I know how lucky I am.
And about the drummer remark. I'm a drummer since Jr. Hi band. I play 1967 White Marine Pearl Slingerlands, and pre '64 Zildjians. I did years in another occupation and considered it part time until I got another gig. And I did, playing in a cover band for 50's thru early 70's Rock and Roll. Sounds like the drummer critic was more than likely a groady roadie who saw his girlfriend hook up with the drummer, happens all the time. Remember, they can't move those feet if it ain't got that beat.

Last edited by radiotexas; 10-03-2017 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:07 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Mike
Mike , I think this is awesome ! I'm happy to see that instead of letting it eat at you , you responded by turning it around and letting him know how you felt and he could possibly face the consequences for his actions ! While for some people I realize that even that is not enough to get someone to do the right thing I'm glad that it did work out in your favor !
If you'll allow me to voice one more opinion even though I don't know what you plan is when it comes time for him to the work for you I would hope that you would take that couple of days off and not let your car out of sight or give up control over your car at any time to him !
Wishing you all the best and can't wait to see it back in beautiful again!
P. S.the grills look great on mine !

Ray
Old 10-04-2017, 01:47 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Thanks guys!

My car will not be left alone with the painter again. I will be with it when it comes time, which will probably be spring, as I need to get my car together as much as possible before it turns winter here and get it out of my buddies shop.

The painter can do nice work. He can do show quality work. His problem is decades of inhaling paint fumes has made him a little sketchy, well a lot sketchy. He has never used a mask while sanding, grinding or painting, and for some reason is proud of that.

I've talked to friends of mine that have known him for decades and they all say he's not jerk or a-whole, he's just become more flaky over time.

Holding a grudge and staying angry is not healthy, it eats you up inside. He knows how I feel now and agrees he screwed up. I feel better after talking with him and it's not eating at my soul anymore.

Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 04:27 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Thanks guys!

My car will not be left alone with the painter again. I will be with it when it comes time, which will probably be spring, as I need to get my car together as much as possible before it turns winter here and get it out of my buddies shop.

The painter can do nice work. He can do show quality work. His problem is decades of inhaling paint fumes has made him a little sketchy, well a lot sketchy. He has never used a mask while sanding, grinding or painting, and for some reason is proud of that.

I've talked to friends of mine that have known him for decades and they all say he's not jerk or a-whole, he's just become more flaky over time.

Holding a grudge and staying angry is not healthy, it eats you up inside. He knows how I feel now and agrees he screwed up. I feel better after talking with him and it's not eating at my soul anymore.

Mike
I have been too the funerals of two painters .both who did great work .both a little lax on the paint mask ,plus smoked and drank more than they should have.they liked to shoot at night when there was no one there to bother them.drink until 9 pm then shoot. see how it looks in the morning.
Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by terry82
I have been too the funerals of two painters .both who did great work .both a little lax on the paint mask ,plus smoked and drank more than they should have.they liked to shoot at night when there was no one there to bother them.drink until 9 pm then shoot. see how it looks in the morning.
I've known a few painters that drank more than their fair share, but this guy hasn't drank in 15 years. He does smoke though. The combination of all the dust from paint, body filler, fiberglass and metal, plus the chemical fumes from all the different paints from back to when he shot lacquer, the old enamels, urethanes, epoxies, and now the modern paints, along with his smoking, it has to take it's toll.

Most of the thinners are neurotoxins, so that explains why painters get flaky.

Mike
Old 10-04-2017, 06:26 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Mike,

You wrote:

I am glad to read that you are moving past this and not dwelling on it like so many people seem to do these days when things go wrong. I have a feeling that 'things' will work out for you. Especially that he has acknowledged the error in his ways. I would hate to go to this thread and see what you have done and only to read that you constantly bringing up what happened over and over again.

Yeah..I know some painters who do not protect themselves at all and feel that it is a 'badge of honor'....and seem to be proud of it also. Totally ridiculous. I sometimes get laughed at by some of the painters I know when they see me suit up prior to painting a car. I just roll my eyes and tell them that I HAVE to. I tell them that darn near everything in the auto body industry regarding products and chemicals can kill you if you abuse it. Maybe not at that moment in time when it is used...but in time.... it will catch up with you....because they must have obviously forgotten that

Heck, I know I am weird (amongst other things)...and it is not due to excessive chemical exposure. It has to do with all of the trials and tribulations I have experienced working on Corvettes for a long, long time.

DUB
Old 10-04-2017, 07:39 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

I've known a few painters that drank more than their fair share, but this guy hasn't drank in 15 years. He does smoke though. The combination of all the dust from paint, body filler, fiberglass and metal, plus the chemical fumes from all the different paints from back to when he shot lacquer, the old enamels, urethanes, epoxies, and now the modern paints, along with his smoking, it has to take it's toll.

Most of the thinners are neurotoxins, so that explains why painters get flaky.

Mike
I think it effect them greatly some just dont know it, or deny it
I do hope that you get something from him, i know it would help me in my case,

Thats something cool about the forum,
We can post what we want to like this thread and if someone doesnt like it they dont have to haunt it,

Please do post updates,

Quick Reply: Got screwed by my painter.