Sponsored by:

Got screwed by my painter.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 01:28 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Got screwed by my painter.

My painter "friend" who has had my Vette for 3 years called me and said he cannot do my car and wants me to get it out of his shop.

He bonded my bumpers to the car and glassed them in and did some finish work to the top of the front one. He also started sanding a little here and there on the body.

It was him that talked me into doing the whole car. I was just going to paint a new front bumper and install it. He said he was going to give me a really good deal. Now I have a car much farther from done than I started with and no one to finish it. I payed him $1500 in advance on top of it. I watched him do most of the work he did. He is fast at what he does, when he works, so he only has a few hours into the car.

Last winter he moved the car to a non-heated shed and a lot of my brand new parts underneath the car are rusted and mice got in my interior, made nests, and chewed up the storage right and center compartments. The car smells like mice **** terrible. He also had my new already painted pace car fairing laying on the floor getting kick around and scratched up.

What is it with painters???

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 09-01-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 01:38 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

[QUOTE=v2racing;

What is it with painters???

[/QUOTE]

lacquer thinner...
Old 09-01-2017, 01:41 PM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

holy crap i would be pissed
Old 09-01-2017, 01:44 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvetracr
lacquer thinner...
I think so. He doesn't wear a mask when he's sanding and grinding or when he is painting.

Mike
Old 09-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Scrrem
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He doesn't sound like much of an friend to me...Wow! I was pissed when my paint guy said 3 months for my C4 and took 6 months. It sounds like your guy got started and the job was more work than he thought it would be. That really sucks man.

Last edited by Scrrem; 09-01-2017 at 02:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BV85 (09-02-2017)
Old 09-01-2017, 02:15 PM
68/BB
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I've seen a couple of these "Friends are gonna do the work" deals go sideways. That's why I avoid them. As far as the issue with painters in general...when I worked on HUD homes back in the early 70's you always knew when the painters had been on the job. As soon as you walked in the yard you could see gin bottles strewn every where. Something about painters and alcohol, gin in particular. The painter is to the car hobby as the drummer is to a rock band, i.e. absolutely essential to the mission but the least reliable, accountable, predictable of the whole group.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Painting a vette is extremely expensive and time consuming.Seems like most people understand this. Some try to cut corners where they can and save money. Do your due diligence and find a reputable shop with good references. They are out there. Your painter friend doesn't sound like a friend at all. Sorry about your car dude, that's not right.

Ray
Old 09-01-2017, 03:16 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

He wasn't a close friend, but he's no friend now. He worked in a Corvette only shop for years before starting his own place. He new what he was in for. Didn't start on it until this summer.

Mike
Old 09-01-2017, 03:28 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Sorry to hear it, i really am. Hits home hard,

I have had one so called tech damage my car and then lost a 30 year friend who did more damage after the tech,

both wanted to blame me with obscure reasoning like even though they had had my car months and months longer than promised how dare i demand my car back now and not give them time to finish it, when they feel like getting around to it,

Nice huh? And theres more,

And it didnt end there ,

I am jaded and synical and will not make any lame excuses for these types who have zero honor and their word is worthless, i do learn lessons,

They dont g.a.f that their word means nothing they just move on to the next mark, its how that type lives,

Being i have nervious ptsd panic type health issues of course it took a toll on me,

In my case i felt so f'ing stupid that i allowed a lot of it to happen,
i allowed these cats to drag it out,

I wished for the best, i hoped the tide would turn but it drowned me, feed up i only demanded my damaged car back ,
No legal actions, you cant get blood from a rock,

i was thankful i have my car back and i try to forget it and move on, you can see how that isnt working well for me

I know there cats dont loose a wink of sleep from how they do others,

Welcome karma.

Last edited by The13Bats; 09-01-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:34 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Sorry to hear it, i really am. Hits home hard,

I have had one so called tech damage my car and then lost a 30 year friend who did more damage after the tech,

both wanted to blame me with obscure reasoning like even though they had had my car months and months longer than promised how dare i demand my car back now and not give them time to finish it, when they feel like getting around to it,

Nice huh? And theres more,

And it didnt end there ,

I am jaded and synical and will not make any lame excuses for these types who have zero honor and their word is worthless, i do learn lessons,

They dont g.a.f that their word means nothing they just move on to the next mark, its how that type lives,

Being i have nervious ptsd panic type health issues of course it took a toll on me,

In my case i felt so f'ing stupid that i allowed a lot of it to happen,
i allowed these cats to drag it out,

I wished for the best, i hoped the tide would turn but it drowned me, feed up i only demanded my damaged car back ,
No legal actions, you cant get blood from a rock,

i was thankful i have my car back and i try to forget it and move on, you can see how that isnt working well for me

I know there cats dont loose a wink of sleep from how they do others,

Welcome karma.
I was thinking of you Bats when I posted this. I remember your story.

This guy promised it would be done last summer then changed it to I promise I will get it done right away next spring. He has been promising it will be done this week every week since May.

Mike
Old 09-01-2017, 03:39 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

go pick it up and strip all the parts you can,pressure wash everything and start painting anything that needs paint,then start putting it back together

painters suck
Old 09-01-2017, 04:00 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

dmaxx3500;1595486502]go pick it up and strip all the parts you can,pressure wash everything and start painting anything that needs paint,then start putting it back together

painters suck[/QUOTE]
Say's the guy who can't paint.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:04 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by v2racing
I was thinking of you Bats when I posted this. I remember your story.

This guy promised it would be done last summer then changed it to I promise I will get it done right away next spring. He has been promising it will be done this week every week since May.

Mike
Damnnit man,
Your buddy sounds a lot like fiberglass mike the ex buddy who did the bulk of my damage,

This must be how these types operate,
They both would milk it day to day week to week,

I can and am an annoying sob when a person is hosing me,
I recall the day i point blank said you basically have no idea when you will touch my car again and lets be more honest you dont give a shi..when you will and have little extentions to,

He agreed in his normal cocky full of himself full of bs way. But when i replied i am Coming to get my car wasnt a curve ball he desired and the ranting from him started.

The tech was the same didnt know when he would touch it again, and wouldn't let me get it or even see it, as he had other projects blocking my car in, that took threats of legal actions to just get my car released, i was even stupid enough to make the finale payment on a damaged unfinished car....

So curious, did you do like me and just take it how they delt it, cut the losses or did you let your ex friend know how you feel?
Old 09-01-2017, 04:34 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Damnnit man,
Your buddy sounds a lot like fiberglass mike the ex buddy who did the bulk of my damage,

This must be how these types operate,
They both would milk it day to day week to week,

I can and am an annoying sob when a person is hosing me,
I recall the day i point blank said you basically have no idea when you will touch my car again and lets be more honest you dont give a shi..when you will and have little extentions to,

He agreed in his normal cocky full of himself full of bs way. But when i replied i am Coming to get my car wasnt a curve ball he desired and the ranting from him started.

The tech was the same didnt know when he would touch it again, and wouldn't let me get it or even see it, as he had other projects blocking my car in, that took threats of legal actions to just get my car released, i was even stupid enough to make the finale payment on a damaged unfinished car....

So curious, did you do like me and just take it how they delt it, cut the losses or did you let your ex friend know how you feel?
I didn't resort to yelling or grabbing him by the throat, although I felt like it. He absolutely knows how I feel though. Didn't stop him from continuing with excuses though.

Mike
Old 09-01-2017, 04:42 PM
SwampeastMike
Melting Slicks

Received 427 Likes on 377 Posts

In my experience painters, exterminators and İstanbul taxi drivers all tend be be quite squirrely after a decade or two on the job.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by v2racing
I didn't resort to yelling or grabbing him by the throat, although I felt like it. He absolutely knows how I feel though. Didn't stop him from continuing with excuses though.

Mike
Yep, cut from same cloth,

When i went to get my car tina called off the class she teaches and went with me,
She knew im more grounded with her,
I asked her after we got home did you fear i would do something stupid,
She said no, i was worried fmike would say something stupid to you....

Its been closer to two years since fmike did this, he told a mutual friend a few months back he needed to do right by me, hah i will hold my breath...

So what is your plan, im trying to get motivated off your motivation...
Old 09-01-2017, 05:27 PM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 793 Likes on 542 Posts

There is a stereo shop near me, and they have a big sign out front that says " WE FIX FRIEND"S INSTALLS". I guess it is a common issue with FRIENDS.

Get notified of new replies

To Got screwed by my painter.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:52 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Usually, when someone gets work done by a "friend", it's because they are charging much less. But, that old adage is still true:

You get what you pay for ---

Sadly, in your case, you didn't even get that.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:14 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

Its the chemicals in the paint .same crap that's in drugs.every painter I have met has gone crazy or died early.But some can do amazing work.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Dirty Dalton
Drifting

Received 776 Likes on 479 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Been there, done that, although, thankfully, it didn't end up doing a tune on the car. My wallet, yes. My patience, yes. Not a friend, but came well recommended. Things are different, thankfully, at The Beauty Parlor.

Some things can never be fixed, and aren't worthy of being fixed, and 'friendships' like that are a prime example.

Quick Reply: Got screwed by my painter.