Sponsored by:

looking for some basic info

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 04:43 PM
talon4669
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for some basic info

I am new to the C3 forum, I used to have a C5 sold it, I am now looking at a C3 76, l82 t tops, silver and red paint, I don't know the mileage yet. what is the difference between an l82 and an l48 motor. I assume its horse power and displacement. I read the read before you buy thread. right now the guys has dropped his price from 14k to 10k OBO. Thanks

James
Old 09-07-2017, 04:49 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Horse power and appearance , cubic inches is the same
Old 09-07-2017, 04:56 PM
ntfday
Pro

Received 178 Likes on 123 Posts

This is the best I could come up with

General Information
Maintenance
Radiators
Care
Finance
Transmission
DMV
Electrical
Engines
Accessories/Keys

Difference Between L48 & L82 Corvette Engines
by Rob Wagner
Third-generation Corvettes were powered by the L48 or L82 V-8.

The L48 350-cubic-inch V-8 engine was a base power plant produced from 1967 to 1980. The L82 350 was a performance version of the base 350 and manufactured between 1973 and 1980. Both engines powered the Chevrolet Corvette and Camaro. The L48 was standard equipment on the Corvette from 1975 to 1980. The L82 was an option on the Corvette until 1980. Output varied as federal emissions controls became stricter in the mid and late 1970s.

Origins

The Chevrolet small-block 350 V-8 can trace its origins to the first small block V-8 that displaced 265 cubic inches and debuted in 1955. Chevrolet introduced the 350 in 1967 and it quickly became one of the most popular V-8s ever produced due to its compact size, wide-ranging output capabilities and durability. In 2011, the 350 remained a highly sought replacement engine for restorations and use in performance cars primarily because its 4-inch bore and 3.48-inch stroke is the most common engine size. The L48 was the first version of the base 350 V-8. It shares many of the same characteristics as the L30 327 V-8 with the major difference that the L48 had a longer stroke. The L48 and L30 share the same heads, block, intake and exhaust manifolds, carburetor and camshaft. The L48 and L82 share the same block and head casting numbers.
L48

The L48 350 originally powered the Camaro with Chevy installing the engine in the Nova one year later. Most Chevys beginning in 1969 received the L48 as standard equipment or an option depending on the vehicle. It generated about 20 extra horsepower than the 327, but featured a relatively mild cam. The L48 featured either a two- or four-barrel Quadra-Jet Rochester carburetor. It had an 8.2-to-1 compression ratio in 1975 to help deliver 165 horsepower. A year later output increased to 180. In 1979, the Corvette received a new dual snorkel air cleaner to help further boost horsepower to 195. In 1980, Chevy introduced a new version of the L48, the L81, which was identical to the L48, but featured spark advance, vacuum advance and computer control.
L82

Chevy boosted the compression ratio, used a four-barrel Rochester carb and dual-plane aluminum intake manifold to develop the performance L82 in 1975. It featured a 9-to-1 compression ratio to generate 205 horsepower. Output increased to 210 horsepower and 255 foot-pounds of torque in 1976. Two years later the L82 saw its output increase again to 220 horsepower. In 1979, Chevy gave the L82 larger valves, a 10.2-to-1 compression ratio and new cam to push horsepower to 225, and then 230 horsepower in 1980.
Differing Characteristics

The L82 featured many different components than the L48. The L82 had larger heads and valves, four-bolt mains, forged steel crank, different pistons and aluminum intake. Although the cam is stronger in the L82, it’s physically identical to the L48. The L82 had 2.02-inch valves and the L48 measures 1.94 inches. The L48 possessed a cast crank, two-bolt mains and a cast-iron intake manifold. The L48 received an aluminum intake in 1980.

Is the car a 4 speed or auto? Be advised that the 76 is a one year only steering wheel, the Vega wheel. The kits to change it over to an aftermarket or stock wheel is around $200.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:05 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

FWIW: after owning and driving a C5, the C3 will be a wake up call for you. Entirely two different animals.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

It all depends on what you want to do with it I suppose.

I have an L48, wish I had an L82 in my 78 I guess we all wish for more. I am also thinking about an LS5 or 70-71 LT1 in the future depending on funds.

Keys especially when you said you saw the 10 things post which is important.

Rust... frame and birdcage which I'm guessing you have seen posts about. Can make a nice car a parts car or in need of a new frame and/or birdcage (Think 10k plus in repairs based on what guys here have stated in the past unless you have access to a shop and are very mechanically inclined).

Overall condition, paint (very costly if it needs new paint), interior, how much looks messed with under the hood (i.e. did Bubba go on a chopping spree), etc.. Look around for prior damage from accidents. Tires - how old are they? Tread life might be great looking, but if they are old (6 yrs+) then factor in cost for new tires.

10k isn't bad honestly for a car in decent condition. Just depends on what the true condition is when you start peeling away at it. One thing I've found in having mine the past 12 years or so now is that I wish I would have dropped the extra few thousand bucks and got one that was in better condition and saved several thousand bucks or spent the extra 4-5k and got a chrome bumper car at the time that the values have gone up on.

Another thing to think of around "what you want to do with it" is whether you are restricted by smog requirements. With that L82, you could change out exhaust, etc.. and wake it up a little bit. If you are restricted by smog requirements, then go with a car that is exempt. I think some say go pre-1975 for folks in CA? I'm in IL and my car is exempt based on age, so when I get to exhaust will likely go true dual myself.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:03 PM
talon4669
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for all the info

Since ghe last post i test drove the car today. The body and paint seem in good condition. The xurrent owner says he had the suspension redone, new brakes, new aftermarket ac that works, new radiatoe. Tires look new. They have plenty of tread. I am waiting on word from my bank on a loan for it. Before i vuy it. I will run the vin number. It does not appear to have been wrecked. I drove it. At 70 mph just above 3000 rpm on the tact. Fuel tank gage and clock does not work. How expenaive it it to replace the sending unit. I have pictures but if i remember right its painful to post them up. All the lites work, tuen aignals. Head lamps are in the up losition. Owne says he thinks hes the3rd owner. Wind ahielf wipers work. Car does not run hot only got too 200 degrees on a 90 plus day with the ac on. My concern right now is he did say the windshielf area was not good. Fromthe previous posts. Apparenrly a new cage is 10k. Thats painful. I will put it up on a lift before i buy it if i get the loan. Any thing else blairingly important ti look at??
Old 09-15-2017, 06:54 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

It was all sounding good until you said about the windscreen , If the owner says the windshield area is not good , it probably means it leaks like a sieve when it gets wet so its rusted out or maybe just a badly sealed glass which can lead to rust problems anyway.

Did you take the kick panels out and have a look at the body mount area behind ? If you asked and he wouldn't let you do it ?

Last edited by bazza77; 09-15-2017 at 06:57 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To looking for some basic info

Quick Reply: looking for some basic info