C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Members.....Keep in Touch.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 02:04 PM
briankeery
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Mewn
In Coral Springs, 60-80 mph winds. I tried sleeping through it but my dog wont let me.
Power and internet is still on thanks to buried lines!
Screw my HOA, I parked my 40 foot RV right in front of my house with a full tank of diesel to block wind/debris from slamming my vehicles, plus I will use the generator if the power goes out.
Feeling sorry for the guys on the west coast cause it must be 2x worse.

Very sorry for the damage to your property Brian Keery, hope you are insured.

Be safe!
Thanks Brother,

yeah insurance company has already returned our calls - no worries. Thankfully our carrier is based here up north, so they're not going to be as busy as your companies will be. Air Canada was able to get a jet into the airport at Provo yesterday, less than 36 hours after they had started cleanup. They sent 95 electricians/linemen from our Provincial Utility Company, and the plane is scheduled to head back to Toronto this afternoon loaded with weary tourists. We'll probably head down in a couple of weeks once power is fully restored. No real rush for us, as our property maintenance guys have sent us a few shots to keep the wife's mind at ease. House is still standing and water tight.

Hope all the guys in Florida fare as well.

Last edited by briankeery; 09-11-2017 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Can't spell
Old 09-11-2017, 02:38 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I didn't see this thread. I've posted in two others in CFOT.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...necessary.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...uld-wi-22.html

In Orlando, I slept most of the night waking up only when it got too loud or the transformers blew and that kind of stuff. Some water was forced in under the front door and windows and some inside the garage wall. No damage to the house.

In Ocala, my neighbor sent pictures of trees down in my backyard. He says the house looks ok. We are under curfew until 6 so I haven't made it back up there yet to check. No power in Ocala, so going up means no shower.

I haven't seen any posts from Ron C! or RandolphB.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:14 PM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

No problems at our house in Tampa, just a lot of oak tree debris all over the yard. I boarded up the windows and put all of the patio furniture, gas grill, hose reels, etc., in the garage with the Corvette and our 2 other cars. Stayed up until 3am, we were lucky and never lost power.
The following users liked this post:
briankeery (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 04:54 PM
golfboy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

It was a wild ride here in Bradenton for awhile. My 78 Pace Car was snuggled in the garage with my wife's Jeep Renegade and all the patio furniture. We have hurricane panels on the windows and were glad we did when the eye of the storm moved past us just to the east during the night! Real lucky we just lost the glass globe on the rear porch light. Several neighbors lost trees in their yards and this morning I had a big clean up to do with all the tree limbs and leaves in the yard. I heard that this had been the largest hurricane to hit the Tampa Bay area since 1921. I hope I don't have to experience another like this for another 96 years. LOL.
briankeery (09-11-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 06:07 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,176 Likes on 2,737 Posts

It's good to hear more members replying, and their homes are O.K. considering what was forecasted.

(sigh of relief)

Old 09-11-2017, 07:21 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by doorgunner
It's good to hear more members replying, and their homes are O.K. considering what was forecasted.

(sigh of relief)

Last edited by AllC34Me; 09-11-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:25 PM
The Phantom
Drifting

Received 585 Likes on 385 Posts

Anyone here from the Bat?

Dave
Old 09-11-2017, 08:40 PM
marshal135
Safety Car

Received 797 Likes on 447 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I know where my second home is in St Pete we dodged a huge bullet.
Just a messy clean up.
Marshal
Old 09-12-2017, 12:46 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by The Phantom
Anyone here from the Bat?

Dave
I p.m.'d him this afternoon......but no reply......let's hope it's internet problems.
Old 09-12-2017, 01:18 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I p.m.'d him this afternoon......but no reply......let's hope it's internet problems.
There's a lot of power outages, probably why he's not here.

Mike
Old 09-12-2017, 04:02 AM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

I live on the west coast on the Cape Haze peninsula 1/2 mile from the Gulf. I rode out Charlie in my 1 month old house when it made its east turn almost over me.

I decided to stay for Irma. Good decision! Lost power for less than 12 hours (just like Charlie) and came through with no damage (even my pool cage screening stayed intact!). My guests from the East Coast (Pompano) just left and I can't believe how lucky we were!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:41 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
We're all good here ! Some cleanup to do but The Vettes and the Harley's are fine!
Ray
Old 09-12-2017, 10:44 AM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
good morning from Big Pine Key...

the next 36 hours will tell...

I had a spare boat anchor to tie to the vette...

gotta go my Bacon is ready...
This is the one we need to hear from. The Navy is sending an aircraft carrier to render humanitarian aid to the lower Keys. No traffic past MM 74. Conchs may be tough...but storm surge is tougher.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:45 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

We are here, a little beaten but kickin,
Power went out about 1am when the storm came through,
Despite what the radio said about eustis being hit at about 330am it came much eariler for us, about 200 i believe,
The large amounts of water came around the sides of the main chimney flashing into the attic and leaking in many places but large moving bins took care of that,
A southside window gave up the glass and i boarded it during the worse of the storm,
The full basement, about 6 feet deep only had about 5 gallons of water in one isolated spot, and we we have to figure out where it came from, weird,
In all that we got away so lucky im thankful and my heart and well wishes goes out to others especially ones who didn't fend as well as we did,

The aftermath has lots or braches and a few huge uprooted trees,
The power being off has sent some people into freak out mode, during the storm and right after tina was picturing roving gangs of mutants in some walking dead meets the purge type world. And had her weapon of choice at hand,
I was busy keeping an eye on the monster irma.

Since pretty much most of lake County is without power people are lined up at least a quarter mile at an open 7-11,

For me im good during the full fire chaos but after my nervious ptsd panic type issues hit like a bat to the head,

Phone service is weak and sketchy sites dont like to load and have to charge phone in car so likely wont be back on soon, text hit or miss 407 496 8334 with the humidity its like a sauna,

Word on power is it might be a day or two might be a week or two, so they dont know,
It all wraps up to i am super thankful for it not being any worse, again i wish everyone well,

Btw,
The 69 is fine, well, as good as before the storm
The following 2 users liked this post by The13Bats:
Metalhead140 (09-14-2017), SPCL FX (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

It's good to hear from the members who are finally able to reply.

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
good morning from Big Pine Key...

the next 36 hours will tell...

I had a spare boat anchor to tie to the vette...

gotta go my Bacon is ready...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^
Originally Posted by Faster Rat
This is the one we need to hear from. The Navy is sending an aircraft carrier to render humanitarian aid to the lower Keys. No traffic past MM 74. Conchs may be tough...but storm surge is tougher.
Say an extra prayer/have a good thought for 84rzv500r.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:56 PM
RJ1AZ
Drifting

Location: PHOENIX, AZ Yes, it's true. You are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist.
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Glad to see most got through with minor effects.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:13 PM
Reaper19
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I live just South East of Jacksonville, 1/4 mile from the beach. This was worse than Matthew last October up here, even though we were outside of the cone area. Longer sustained winds, tornadoes, highest storm surge on record in downtown Jax, river areas and many of the creeks overflowed. We did evacuate inland but it was just as bad as being at the beach. We had a few neighbors ride it out and they said it was pretty scary. We got home late last night, lucky we had power restored. We had issues during and after the storm with no power at our evacuation site, no internet on phones, but we did have a radio to listen to storm updates.

My Vette was tucked away in the garage on jack stands since I removed the front suspension two weeks ago getting everything cleaned up and ready for the new parts. No damage to Vette, but my everyday driver took a hit from an oak tree branch during the storm at our friends house and evacuation site. My wife and I spent the day today cleaning up the yard, looked like every leaf, twig and branch in the area blew into our yard.

Hope everyone is safe and we all came through it!

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Florida Members.....Keep in Touch.......

Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

I sort of felt like I was in Florida- as about every third car on the highway had a Florida tag here.

First tropical storm we've had in Atlanta- ever. We lost power for over thirty hours , thankfully just a few branches and ortunately no real flooding.

I was up almost all night as well- hearing the wind whip up and transformers blowing.

I really can feel for you guys- as what hit us was a lot weaker and the temperatures have been really mild.

I wish everyone well-

Richard
Old 09-13-2017, 01:02 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by Reaper19
I live just South East of Jacksonville, 1/4 mile from the beach. This was worse than Matthew last October ...
Randy
Sorry you went through that. We're in pretty close proximity and it was different here.

We're just a tad south of St Augustine east of I-95. We lost power for about 24 hours, and sustained no damage to speak of (a rose bush got uprooted but I can replant it). The canal in the rear of our house rose over the seawall, and a few feet away from the retaining wall. The street was covered with small branches but not so much.

Last year, we lost power for 2 1/2 days. We lost trees, bushes, and several sections of lanai screening. The canal rose over the seawall, but a lot closer to the retaining wall. The streets were completely covered with full trees, large and small branches, debris from houses, kangaroos- well, not kangaroos, but it was all sorts of worse last year.

In any event I am glad it's over.
Old 09-14-2017, 01:00 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

We bailed from the island to my moms house near the Villages, lost power for about a day, but no damage to her place or mine at the beach. Got back yesterday and was very happy to find the gate on my fence was the only casualty.

Last edited by jlpskydive; 09-14-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Metalhead140 (09-14-2017)

Quick Reply: Florida Members.....Keep in Touch.......