C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Florida Members.....Keep in Touch.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:18 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm glad to hear so many reporting it and not being any worse off than they are. Irma had the potential to be a really big problem for us.

We got power back about 9 pm Wednesday evening. It was so nice to get a shower in the morning before work. The generator was just too loud to fire up at 5:30 am to get water pressure. Considering as much damage to the power lines in this immediate area, I'm surprised we got it when we did.

Yard is clean except for the trees laying there. All the loose branches and leaves are on the curb. Tomorrow is going to be busy cutting and dragging branches to the front.

I have the one big tree down, one smaller tree down, one smaller one leaning a lot, and the double in front has a massive crack down the center where they split, so it will have to come out.

Lost all the food in the frig. Power was out too long and couldn't run it all day in the day (not home) and wouldn't run it all night (too noisy) so it had too much time off to stay frozen.

It's only food, Publix has more.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:57 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

On a side note... whose going to the car show in Cocoa tomorrow?? I will be there about 11 with my 78 SAE. It won't be hard to find as is a 78 SAE with a full red interior and not that common. Hope to see you there.
Old 09-16-2017, 07:20 PM
CFLVette
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Took my Vette to the monthly New Smyrna Beach Cars & Coffee. Great weather for the event and there were several C3s in attendance. Also got to meet forum member Roger (rvzio).

It's been a tough week for many here in Central Florida so it was a welcome relief to take a much-needed break to hang out with car peeps.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:00 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

Great cars make for great pics!

*****Has anyone heard from:
Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
good morning from Big Pine Key...
It has been days since he posted from his home*******

Last edited by doorgunner; 09-16-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:45 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

Whoa! Glad to be back! We never lost power, but TV, phone, & internet went down a week ago Sunday, and we just got it back on today! Still got a billion tons of leaves & brush to clean up, but no major damage!
The following users liked this post:
doorgunner (09-20-2017)
Old 09-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by oldgto
Whoa! Glad to be back! We never lost power, but TV, phone, & internet went down a week ago Sunday, and we just got it back on today! Still got a billion tons of leaves & brush to clean up, but no major damage!

I saw leaving Orlando on Monday evening that some areas got hit hard. We were lucky with no loss except momentary outages of power. Glady you have things back now.

Ocala was a different mess. I got ready to come home the other night on SE 8th St. and the road was still covered with down trees. Tonight it was open, and while power is restored, it is obviously temporary as many of the power lights droop to about 4 feet off the ground. They have barriers up to keep you away.

I've gotten most of my yard back now.

This veed tree in the center of the yard is cracked at the base right down the middle. I haven't decided to take it out or leave it. It is too short to fall and hit the street or the house, so I may leave it.

But any strong storm will surely knock it down.

Most told me that this tree didn't look that bad, so I parked the truck next to it while working and got some pictures so they could see the size.

The darn mosquitos tonight are outrageous. I've never seen so many, even at night along the swamps. I was swatting them on my arm and killing 5 or 6 at a time. They were so thick, it was like lovebugs.

And there was a breeze blowing, which should have kept them away.
doorgunner (09-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 01:13 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Great cars make for great pics!

*****Has anyone heard from:

It has been days since he posted from his home*******
DG
He hasn' t been on the CF since 9/9
Hope he and the car are OK
FR
doorgunner (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 04:23 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Looks like he posted on his build thread on 10/14/17.... just a few days ago?
doorgunner (10-20-2017)
Old 10-19-2017, 06:49 PM
scott2173
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default checking in

Well here in Cudjoe Key we just got steady internet and tv back.
Things still are a mess here and even worse in Big Pine Key a lot of carnage and complete homes gone.
I left before the storm and couldn't get back into the Keys until Sept. 21
I had to go to my mother in-laws funeral in New York before the storm hit .
I tried to get my car into one of the parking garages in Key West but the City and County closed them and put their vehicles in them.
So here we are Oct. 19 and I have a drown 71 Corvette the water line here from the storm surge was 5'3" so the top of my car was about 8" under water "salt water".
I cant rebuild her there's no way financially possible the wife's car was also drown and I had to purchase her a new car "Chevrolet of coarse".
Please don't ask me about insurance and yes that is my fault I get that believe me I get it there isn't any period the end.
So what do I do now any input would be great
I have totally washed the salt out and off of her but I'm just at a loss of what to do.
Do I sell her as she is or do o drop enough money in it to bring her back ?

I don't know
Old 10-19-2017, 07:20 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Looks like he posted on his build thread on 10/14/17.... just a few days ago?
Are you sure about that?
I was referring to 84rzv500r. Last activactivity 9/9.
He was on Big Pine Key....
Old 10-19-2017, 07:31 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
Are you sure about that?
I was referring to 84rzv500r. Last activactivity 9/9.
He was on Big Pine Key....
I mis-read you post.... I thought you were talking about Tony (doorgunner), but he`s in AL, not FL. I need to tone down my pain meds maybe...
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

I mis-read you post.... I thought you were talking about Tony (doorgunner), but he`s in AL, not FL. I need to tone down my pain meds maybe...
No problemo. I kinda thru ya under the bus...
Old 10-19-2017, 08:05 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by scott2173
Things still are a mess here and even worse in Big Pine Key a lot of carnage and complete homes gone.
I tried to get my car into one of the parking garages in Key West but the City and County closed them and put their vehicles in them.
So here we are Oct. 19 and I have a drown 71 Corvette the water line here from the storm surge was 5'3" so the top of my car was about 8" under water "salt water".
I cant rebuild her there's no way financially possible the wife's car was also drown and I had to purchase her a new car "Chevrolet of coarse".
Please don't ask me about insurance and yes that is my fault I get that believe me I get it there isn't any period the end.
I have totally washed the salt out and off of her but I'm just at a loss of what to do.

I don't know
Really sorry to hear this. I am pretty sure if it was mine I would do what I could to bring it back but cost is always a concern. I would think if you cannot bring it back then you could part it and recover as much as you can from the sales of the car parts. Once soaked in Salt I am not certain what can be reused, and what cannot. Hard parts like metal, glass, should be able to be reused.
I am sorry to hear about your car but glad you are okay.
Best regards,
David Howard
AllVettes4Me
Old 10-20-2017, 12:35 AM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,179 Likes on 2,739 Posts

I don't know
I would like to see you rebuild it, but I realize your family has taken enough hits from every side. Rebuild your family first. If you think there is a slim chance you will rebuild your car, I would remove the entire drive train as soon as possible/disassemble each component completely/wash each part and coat it with the appropriate oil or fluid to prevent rusting.

Hoping the best for you and your family
Old 10-20-2017, 07:15 AM
oldgto
Safety Car

Originally Posted by doorgunner
I would like to see you rebuild it, but I realize your family has taken enough hits from every side. Rebuild your family first. If you think there is a slim chance you will rebuild your car, I would remove the entire drive train as soon as possible/disassemble each component completely/wash each part and coat it with the appropriate oil or fluid to prevent rusting.

Hoping the best for you and your family
Old 10-22-2017, 01:56 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

I don't know
Man, that is really sad to hear. As to rebuilding, it depends on how rapid you want to go. Ten days in salt water isn't good, but is probably survivable. You have to flush everything out. And a lot is simply work, not money.

Gas tank. Now it probably lost all the gasoline but the fuel line may have stayed filled and keeping salt water away from the pump.

The engine is another issue. Since it had been running engine and had oil in it everywhere, it may clean up. Pull the plugs out and run water down the intake for awhile. Hand turn it over so that you get water running out of different cylinders until all are flushed. Drain the crankcase and flush it with water. You'll have to fill it and then flush out several times to get into all the crevices.

Use a mix of oil and gas down the intake and rotate the engine to lube the cylinders.

Carpet you might be able to flush. It will take a lot of water. Same with the seats. You'll have to soak the foam, then squeeze it like a sponge.

Things like the radio are probably shot. Gauges maybe.

Carb you might be able to save but you need to take it apart and dip it in carb cleaner soon. They sell gallon buckets of it in various places like AutoZone, O'Reilly's, and Advance Auto.

Don't forget the rear end and transmission. The vents will let salt water in, but they are covered in heavy oil, so draining, flushing with clean water, and then refilling probably will save you.

The frame is critical. You have to flush that over and over and over. Wait a day and flush some more. It helps to have one end up on ramps so water flows away from the center section.

I fully appreciate the no insurance. I had one in the shed with none, and was worried it would be a total loss. If that tree fell the other direction, it would have been gone. I really lucked out more than most realize.

It all seems bad now, but hang in there. And it may actually qualify under FEMA. I'm not sure how it works, but with no insurance on the car, unless you are some CFOT multi-millionaire, odds are you can get some help on it.

Quick Reply: Florida Members.....Keep in Touch.......