Project...rear end questions

Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Default Project...rear end questions

Hey Guys,

I am going to replace the leaf spring in my Corvette. As seen in this thread, they have separated.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ook-right.html

As also seen in that thread, other things need replaced...shocks, links, etc.

I wanted your opinions on what should be replaced "while I am in there and have things apart". Obviously this is subjective. However, with all the experience on the forum, I can't image that isn't some unspoken consensus that "if you need to replace part A, B should be replaced too. And C should be thoroughly inspected because if it ever goes bad, all this has to be taken out again."

Also, as I buy new parts, I want to paint them to prevent rusting in the future as I plan to keep this car a long time. What is the best paint for this (Rust inhibitor, krylon flat black, or etc.)? Or would it be better to buy a sand blaster and remove the rust on existing parts and paint without replacing?

If you guys know of kits, or packages of parts, please let me know. I did some searching and came away confused. I can get a replacement spring for 150ish but a kit is 1200 and it doesn't look to contain that much stuff. Another mystery, what is the advantage of composite over a replacement spring?

Thank you for your advice and tips.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Gold Dragon
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Hi Stingray,
Sounds like you are in the process of upgrading the back half of your suspension. Replacing components is usually tied to a budget somewhere. But what's your safety worth. If you are going to do it do it right. If the spring is gone , most likely all the bushings need to be replaced. Trailing arms are also important to inspect.
As far as chassis finish, the consensus seems to be GM chassis black. Satin finish. This would also work for the differential.

Ray
Old 09-08-2017, 02:55 PM
Antz81
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 77 Posts

Looking through your other thread I would replace the shocks, get the trailing arms rebuilt or replaced, swap the strut rods to adjustable rods. I would also check your brakes, it looks to me like brake fluid has been running down the back of your tire. While you are there I would remove the diff and check it does need any work, replace the bushings while its out.
I swapped to a composite Spring about a year ago, and won't go back to steel, the ride is a lot smoother. Most of the new parts will come painted, so no need to worry about what to paint them with.

While your doing all this at the back, the front may want some attention as well.
Looking at some of the rusted parts I hope you don't have any rust on the frame.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:36 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Antz81
Looking through your other thread I would replace the shocks, get the trailing arms rebuilt or replaced, swap the strut rods to adjustable rods. I would also check your brakes, it looks to me like brake fluid has been running down the back of your tire. While you are there I would remove the diff and check it does need any work, replace the bushings while its out.
I swapped to a composite Spring about a year ago, and won't go back to steel, the ride is a lot smoother. Most of the new parts will come painted, so no need to worry about what to paint them with.

While your doing all this at the back, the front may want some attention as well.
Looking at some of the rusted parts I hope you don't have any rust on the frame.
No worry about the brakes. I already took care of that mess. You were correct it was leaking. Actually on the way home from Carlisle last year I lost brakes. Not completely, but pushing the peddle to the floor barely engaged the brakes. I had to make sure to give everyone in front of me plenty of space and always make sure I was in the slow lane where I had ditch to go to just in case. Got home and realized all 4 calipers had broke and were leaking. Not sure how I didn't notice this as it had to be gradual. But new calipers, rotors, and pads all around.

Yes, the front needs some work too. One place at a time.

I am sure the frame has some rust in some places for 37 years old. But I have not 100% sure. Haven't really looked in a long time.

But the previous owner had some weird things so I will get to them eventually. Just want to keep the car running safe for now.
Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Originally Posted by Antz81

Why do I need adjustable rods? This is just a fun car, no need to adjust height. If that is what they are for.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:40 AM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ~Stingray
Why do I need adjustable rods? This is just a fun car, no need to adjust height. If that is what they are for.
The adjustable strut rods make life for your alignment guy much easier. The original struts are adjusted with an eccentric cam that is usually frozen solid. When I did them on my 69, the trailing arm bolts slid out with no hassle. I had to blast to get the strut rod bolts out. And went back with adjustable struts and painted all the threads with anti-seize.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Bigguyinmo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just went through the rear suspension on mine. I had a side yoke failure, it was ugly. I put in a new spring, rebuilt differential, rebuilt my trailing arms, and put in new strut rods. It drives like a new car now. Although the alignment mechanic messed up, drivers side he missed the bolt with the shims. It is going back in Tuesday. I have about $3500.00 in the whole thing.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:55 PM
81vettski
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good luck. I started the same modification and it ended with the whole rearend out, differential rebuilt with 354;1. And while i was at it replaced the body mounts. Then i had to raise the body again to replace the fuel lines. Granted, life got in the way and I am finally putting it back together, stay focused and be careful how far you go. it can become endless.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I am sure I can find things to repair. In the future, I want to do a frame off, but for now, I need to make the car safe and prevent future damage.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:58 AM
81vettski
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Agreed. First and foremost. Just referencing my own mistake. I took it apart, life got in the way, lost focus and haven't enjoyed the car for a looong time. Good news I'm putting it back together and look forward to each segment. Fuel tank is in and the rear differential and crossmember next. Enjoy it. Great satisfaction in repairing your ride.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:01 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

Bump, anyone else?
Old 09-18-2017, 08:16 AM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '17, '19

last bump.