BFG Radial T/A or Cooper Cobra G/T??? - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BFG Radial T/A or Cooper Cobra G/T???

Old 09-11-2017, 11:01 PM   #1
Duane4238
CF Senior Member

Default BFG Radial T/A or Cooper Cobra G/T???

So, if you had to choose one of the two, which would it be? And why? After reading a few tire threads, I've decided to replace my Radial T/A's. I don't put more than a couple hundred miles on my 72 every year, but the current tires I purchased in 1993. (and they still "LOOK" new) I also haven't been over 55 mph in quite a few years either, so that's why I've kept the current tires for so long. But, time for some new treads so give me your opinions. Thanks!
Duane
Duane4238 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #2
Wee
CF Senior Member

1993....!!!! and I thought my 2001 dated tires were old, like yours they looked to be in good shape until they weren't. I picked up a wobble when I slowed down....2 tires had broken inner belts, I was lucky to not have a blowout.

I bought a new set of BFG's 225 70/R15 from Jegs for $551.96 shipped no tax....and I get a $50 Visa card on top of that.....The $50 rebate deals ends tomorrow.

I just think nothing beats Rally's with BFG's as far as looks go....JMO

Brian
Wee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee For This Useful Post:
marshal135 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-11-2017, 11:56 PM   #3
clifish
CF Member

I just coded my grand am radial gt tires 163......since I have owned it since 1997 I am assuming 16th week of 1993 also, I doubt hey are from 1983 on an 1981 car....Still look like new....ok a couple waves in the side walls. Thinking cooper cobra

Last edited by clifish; 09-11-2017 at 11:57 PM.
clifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
turtlevette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

The Mickey Thompson's are cool too. When I see the coopers I think someone cheaped out. I cheaped out and put generic blackwalls on my trans am, and now I'm sorry.

It seems the white letters of any brand carries a significant premium.
turtlevette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:00 AM   #5
clifish
CF Member

The Mickey T is cool but expensive, From what I saw on DTD site the coopers had white lettering? do they not look real "meaty" in person?
Old 09-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
turtlevette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

I believe the cooper is just as good or better than the t/a. There's just something about the t/a that's classic.

Firestone has the indy 500 as another option.
turtlevette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:38 AM   #7
Bikespace
CF Senior Member

Short answer: BFG Radial T/As, 255/60-R15 (if they fit for you)

<TL: DR>
I'd heard that the Mickey Thompsons are just rebadged Coopers, made in the same factory. In theory, they should be the same price. In practice, they are more expensive, and you have to order them from someplace like Jegs.

Whatever.

My wife's '79 came with fairly new Coopers on aftermarket Enkei wheels (for sale soon!). They were okay, but she wanted the correct wheels. I found a set on Craigslist from a 1978 Vette and took them to the local Chevy dealership. They took off the old, but zero miles, 1999 BFG Radial T/As, and put new ones on. Not cheap, but I got a $100- discount for driving a Chevy, so I probably came out only a bit behind the Coopers.

My wife is very happy with the improvement to the car. The ride is noticeably better, and the appearance is FAR better.

So, now with three sets of RWL 255/60-R15 tires in the garage:

Goodyear Eagle ST II: Look the coolest, with fat, round sidewalls and bright white letters, but they are 15 years old (out of production for 10), so are just for rolling the (other) car around until I get it on the road.
Cooper Cobra Radial G/T: Meh. Look thin in appearance.
BFG Radial T/A: Perform better than the others. Look about right, not too fat. Still have the blue shmutz on them that BFG smears on the sidewalls (I've washed them twice, I'm hoping time and another wash will get it off). Classic styling.
</TL: DR>

Last edited by Bikespace; 09-12-2017 at 12:38 AM.
Bikespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:49 AM   #8
7T1vette
CF Senior Member

The "quality" of those two tires is about the same. In general, the BFG's are seen more frequently on C3's than the Coopers, but that is just a cultural thing.

I'd go with the BFG's.....unless I lived close to the area where Coopers are made!
7T1vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:19 AM   #9
Alex66
CF Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikespace View Post
Short answer: BFG Radial T/As, 255/60-R15 (if they fit for yo

Goodyear Eagle ST II: Look the coolest, with fat, round sidewalls and bright white letters, but they are 15 years old (out of production for 10)

</TL: DR>

The Goodyear Eagle ST II, would be my absolute favorite for a radial tire! Why are they not producing them anymore??? Classic Muscle Cars are high in demand for the last couple of years, and People are desperate for a good looking and good performing 15 Inch tire... So really BFG gets the majority of the cake since they are about all that is left on the top end. We all now that they are made by Michelin and that is a high end brand, as I would still prefer the Goodyears, they also look the most muscle to me with the fat round sidewalls. i love them. Please produce again, Goodyear!!!!!!

Last edited by Alex66; 09-12-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Alex66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:27 AM   #10
Alex66
CF Senior Member

Seriously, If car Forums as this one would all turn to Goodyear and as them to produce again, wouldnt they do it? Is the Profit not worth to them? I am really asking, i have no clue...
Alex66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
pigfarmer
CF Senior Member

Default Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane4238 View Post
So, if you had to choose one of the two, which would it be? And why? After reading a few tire threads, I've decided to replace my Radial T/A's. I don't put more than a couple hundred miles on my 72 every year, but the current tires I purchased in 1993. (and they still "LOOK" new) I also haven't been over 55 mph in quite a few years either, so that's why I've kept the current tires for so long. But, time for some new treads so give me your opinions. Thanks!
Duane
I recently bought the BFGs because that's what I've always had on my cars and I like the look. Problem is, that was 25+ years ago.

These perform nicely but - and this is really nit picky - I have noticed an odd tendency to slightly 'brown' the raised white letters. Doesn't seem to want to come off easily. All I ever used to clean them was soap and a small brush to clean them but not with this set.

I wonder if anyone has noticed that with the Coopers?

I'd feel comfortable with either BFGs or Cobras on my '69. Dramatic difference from the old hard nasty GT Qualifiers that were on there. Like a new pair of sneakers.
pigfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
FINWOLF
CF Senior Member

I run 265 50 15 and I could get the T/A, cooper or handkook I could not look at the word cobra on the side just me. T/A's were a lot of money so I went with the handkook and they are great.

FINWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM   #13
Street Rat
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I had the Cooper Cobras on my car when I purchased it. I liked the looks and handling but the date codes showed that they were old.

I decided to go with the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/T radial. I like them better than the Coopers. They seem to grip better around corners. I like the sidewall look better then the Cobras.

Either tire can be bought at Summit Racing. Mounted and balanced or loose tires are FREE shipping to your door.

Street Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:07 PM   #14
Greg
CF Senior Member

I agree with turtlevette, the Coopers just look like someone cheaped out. I can appreciate wanting to save a few bucks, but I wouldn't want to advertise it. Go with the BFG's.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:15 PM   #15
cuisinartvette
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '05

tha browning issue on letters and sidewalls has been an issue with the bfg for decades, dont like how quickly they dry rot. They look cool I guess

had both and will buy the cooper all day long

The section width on the coopers is a hair narrower which is good so you have choice on trying to stuff the next biggest size tire in whatever car

Tires are like muffers its a personal thing guess looks come first for most?
cuisinartvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #16
See Three
CF Senior Member

There is a whole thread on cleaning the white letters on BFGs and if you google it you will find the issue on multiple forums. The best way I have found is to use a Scotchbrite pad on a right angle die grinder with Spray 9 cleaner- keep it wet and use low rpm and light pressure.
See Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 10:54 PM   #17
76bomb
CF Member

I'm on a budget so I got the best I could afford.

I went with the Cooper Cobras. They look good drive and handle well and are priced right.

Sure I do feel I cheaped out. Yea if I was wealthy I would have gone with the BFG's

I paid $390 for the set cash and carry. But I do the tire purchasing for where I work. They cut me a great deal on the Coopers.
Here is a pic with Coopers on the front and BFG's on the back for comparison
Coopers on the front and BFG's on the back
76bomb is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 76bomb For This Useful Post:
vin67 (09-13-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 10:59 PM   #18
clifish
CF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76bomb View Post
I'm on a budget so I got the best I could afford.

I went with the Cooper Cobras. They look good drive and handle well and are priced right.

Sure I do feel I cheaped out. Yea if I was wealthy I would have gone with the BFG's

I paid $390 for the set cash and carry. But I do the tire purchasing for where I work. They cut me a great deal on the Coopers.
Here is a pic with Coopers on the front and BFG's on the back for comparison
Coopers on the front and BFG's on the back
I would love to a ground level side shot of both those tires? From this view they both look equal and good.
Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #19
76bomb
CF Member

Unfortunately that ship has sailed. Happily riding on 4 Cooper Cobra's these days.
76bomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 PM   #20
'75
CF Senior Member

I like the Coopers for a couple reasons, better traction and I don't feel like one of the herd. I would have chosen the Coopers even it the BFG were the same price, I like the look better.
'75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • BFG Radial T/A or Cooper Cobra G/T???
  •