Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1975 Door Lock / Open Mechanism.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 05:31 PM
tg11350
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1975 Door Lock / Open Mechanism.

I haven't tackled this yet: the drivers side door lock/open mechanism on my C3 took a crap. The door handle slides into glides and then is held in place by a screw. Anyway, the glides which are pot metal broke. I have a new mechanism that arrived and ready to install. Any advice, posts, videos on disassemble and reassemble this. I am especially interested in how to reinstall the handle. Looks to be tricky.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:20 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TG,
The mechanism needs to be 'held' in the 'open' position so the 'glides' are pointed somewhat toward the interior of the car rather than straight forward.
It's in this position that the handle can be slid on, and the screw tightened.

I use a small screwdriver to wedge the 'glide' in the open position and remove it while sliding the handle on to the slides.

As with many things it's easier after you've done it the first time.
Regards,
Alan

Last edited by Alan 71; 09-12-2017 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:38 PM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Watching this because I am about to tackle trying to adjust the mechanism on my 75 driver's door. The door can be opened by either the outside or inside door handles fine, but I cannot lock it...

vetfever
Old 09-12-2017, 07:40 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by VETFEVER
Watching this because I am about to tackle trying to adjust the mechanism on my 75 driver's door. The door can be opened by either the outside or inside door handles fine, but I cannot lock it...

vetfever
Same here on my 74.....watching....
Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 PM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

ttt
Old 10-10-2017, 01:39 PM
tg11350
Cruising

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 75 install door handle

Success. Here's what I did. I installed the mechanism and reinstalled the door card which includes screwing it back in place. I used a large screwdriver, one that would just fit into the glides and pulled it open. With the latch open now I wedged a small screwdriver at the rear of the latch, wedged between the door card and the mechanism. This was enough to hold the latch in the open position. I then slid the handle into the glides, working back and forth so it would seat. I reinstalled the opener screw and then pulled the small screwdriver out. Worked for me although you may have to invest in a large screwdriver.
The following users liked this post:
VETFEVER (07-28-2018)
Old 07-28-2018, 10:25 AM
VETFEVER
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 660 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by tg11350
Success. Here's what I did. I installed the mechanism and reinstalled the door card which includes screwing it back in place. I used a large screwdriver, one that would just fit into the glides and pulled it open. With the latch open now I wedged a small screwdriver at the rear of the latch, wedged between the door card and the mechanism. This was enough to hold the latch in the open position. I then slid the handle into the glides, working back and forth so it would seat. I reinstalled the opener screw and then pulled the small screwdriver out. Worked for me although you may have to invest in a large screwdriver.
Awesome - thanks for following thru with your solution.

Get notified of new replies

To 1975 Door Lock / Open Mechanism.

Quick Reply: 1975 Door Lock / Open Mechanism.