Sponsored by:

Another wiper problem.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 05:31 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Another wiper problem.

This is for my 72. I took the dash out to do a 4 speed conversion. Before I took the dash out the wipers worked. They had the wrong wiper motor in there so I changed the wiper motor for the correct one that has the red wire lead for the door switch. I also changed the override switch the connections on the one I had were falling out. The PO had the wires to the wiper switch connected to the switch with crimp connectors. I have the wiper door off, no vacuum hooked up and the motor isn't running.
Now I connected the dk blue, black with white stripe and lt blue to the switch. Thats left to right. The dk blue has power when the key is on and the lt blue also has power. The black/white has power when you move the switch over. I also have the dash piece the switch is mounted on grounded. If it isn't grounded the relay dosen't click when you move the switch. I added a new engine harness so the wiper motor wires are new. The wiper motor has power to the lt blue and yellow wires all the time. When I put my test light in the there to check the wires for power I get a click from the wiper motor.
I can't seem to get the wiper motor to work. I am also pushing the switch for the door on the firewall in. Also what does the solenoid by the tach do with out any vacuum to it.
The wipers should work as the only wires that got disconnected on the inside were the switch wires and when I replaced the harness. Whats supposed to be hot with the key on and whats not. Also what do I have to do to get the wipers to work with out the wiper door on.

I have done some searches and checked wilcox's articles. It just dosen't seem right that the wiper motor has power there all the time.

I just started to look at the wipers so I didn't really dig into it.

Last edited by 540 vette; 09-19-2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:46 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Big red wire to the motor (single connector) goes to the wiper door switch then to the override switch and from there to the wiper fuse. Hot with the key on. Motor is switched by the ground. Willcox has a good diagram on the tech page.
I have a long hood that eliminates the wiper door and switches there. Had a heck of a time figuring out what needed to be jumpered and what did not when I replaced the harnesses.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:56 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by TimAT
Big red wire to the motor (single connector) goes to the wiper door switch then to the override switch and from there to the wiper fuse. Hot with the key on. Motor is switched by the ground. Willcox has a good diagram on the tech page.
I have a long hood that eliminates the wiper door and switches there. Had a heck of a time figuring out what needed to be jumpered and what did not when I replaced the harnesses.

I have his diagram printed out.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:09 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi 540,
Is the switch wiring orientation looking from above or below the switch?
Regards,
Alan

Above:
Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi 540,
Is the switch wiring orientation looking from above or below the switch?
Regards,
Alan

Above:

Above. I have it like the picture. When I got the car it had the wrong wiper motor in it and a the PO had added a ground to it.

Last edited by 540 vette; 09-19-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 AM
540 vette
Race Director

I need to know what is hot with the key on, what gets hot when the switch is moved, how to bypass the door so I can get the wiper running.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:06 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

This should be the wiring diagram for your car:

First, the wiper switch is not passing power, it is passing ground. When the switch is off, the black/white wire should be grounded and the light blue should not be grounded. On low speed, both the black/white and the light blue wires should be grounded, and on high speed only the light blue wire is grounded. (The dark blue wire is grounded only for the washer pump)

One tip: run a separate ground wire to the back of the wiper switch. This missing ground (should be through the gauge console) is a common issue on our cars. Then, when you are moving between low/off you should hear the wiper relay click on and off.

On the wiper motor, the center wire (yellow) should have power with key on. The red power wire on the motor should have power all the time as long as
1. the wiper door is up (so the wiper door limit switch is closed) and
2. the dash override switch is closed.
This red wire is what you need to connect to 12V to bypass the wiper door.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by D_Williams
This should be the wiring diagram for your car:

First, the wiper switch is not passing power, it is passing ground. When the switch is off, the black/white wire should be grounded and the light blue should not be grounded. On low speed, both the black/white and the light blue wires should be grounded, and on high speed only the light blue wire is grounded. (The dark blue wire is grounded only for the washer pump)

One tip: run a separate ground wire to the back of the wiper switch. This missing ground (should be through the gauge console) is a common issue on our cars. Then, when you are moving between low/off you should hear the wiper relay click on and off.

On the wiper motor, the center wire (yellow) should have power with key on. The red power wire on the motor should have power all the time as long as
1. the wiper door is up (so the wiper door limit switch is closed) and
2. the dash override switch is closed.
This red wire is what you need to connect to 12V to bypass the wiper door.

This is perfect. I got up early and was out in the garage and got everything working.(I hope) Then I came in and saw your post. I went thru the Wilcox tapes(sounds like a spy movie)and figured out how everything works. Grounded the wiper switch and put a clamp on the switch for the door and everything worked.

I appreciate every ones help. Thanks guys.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:56 AM
D_Williams
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm glad you got it working again
Old 09-20-2017, 06:02 PM
0Willcox Corvette
Former Vendor

Received 1,813 Likes on 1,458 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by 540 vette
I went thru the Wilcox tapes(sounds like a spy movie)and figured out how everything works. I appreciate every ones help. Thanks guys.
Spy movie with a hick accent.. lol... Glad you got it fixed.

-Willcox

Get notified of new replies

To Another wiper problem.

Quick Reply: Another wiper problem.