Sponsored by:

Crashed my baby.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 09:54 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Crashed my baby.

Well, not the Vette but my truck probably means more to me because I've had it for so long, made it what it is and has never let me down. And you know what? It probably saved our buts last night!
We took my truck out for an early evening car show and on the way home a deer bolted out from a clump of trees on the side of the road. There was no room to evade and only enough time to hit the brakes but we hit the deer at speed. My wife and faithful dog were okay as was I. The deer...not so much.
The point of this is what would the outcome if we were in the Vette? Not good. I would venture to say that the deer would have entered the car through the windshield and THAT my friends is a very sobering thought!
I know that we were never meant to live our lives on "what if" but it does make me think of the safety our old cars afford us. The safety of my passengers is paramount and makes me question the purpose and importance of my cars.
Be safe out there folks.
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:07 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,153 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Sorry to hear about your classic truck......glad to hear everyone is O.K.....and your Vette also.

Old 09-14-2017, 10:16 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Sorry to hear about your classic truck......glad to hear everyone is O.K.....and your Vette also.

Thanks Doorgunner. Accidents happen and everybody is fine. Plastic and metal can be repaired or replaced. Loved ones can not.
The following users liked this post:
vespaholic (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 12:03 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Originally Posted by mkdesign
Thanks Doorgunner. Accidents happen and everybody is fine. Plastic and metal can be repaired or replaced. Loved ones can not.
Well said. Glad to hear everyone is OK. It could always be worse. I'm sure you'll get your pickup back to better than ever.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:06 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Bummer, I love that truck. Damage fortunately looks pretty superficial?

My wife and I had a pretty bad accident a couple of years ago while she was driving my MG Midget, so I know what you're saying. At the end of the day I think you need to weigh the likelihood of a dangerous accident against the enjoyment received from the vehicle. Something's going to kill us sooner or later, we're all going to die, and taking no risks at all leaves very little (nothing?) to enjoy in life. I'm still driving nothing but classic cars, but it is more prominent in my mind than it used to be. For me at least, the relatively small (statistically) risk is worth the tradeoff. But it's definitely worth keeping in mind...

We were lucky enough to come out of this with nothing worse than bruises.

Last edited by Metalhead140; 09-15-2017 at 04:08 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:50 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

What year is your dodge? I have a real nice '88
Old 09-15-2017, 06:15 AM
Torqued Off
Le Mans Master

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,399 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

MK

I think your point should be well taken. These cars we love are not safe compared to modern vehicles. Just like riding motorcycles is not safe even today. So you could sell it all and just drive modern vehicles. But for me, the truth of what you speak does not scare me away from driving the Vette, or riding the motorcycle,....yet. But, what it does say is try to be as safe as possible by NOT driving irresponsibly.

Postings have been made in the past on guys driving cars at high rates of speed, and talking about handling improvements that really only matter on the track. The typical male bravado / ego loves pushing that envelope, and I am guilty as well, but I have had some wake up calls in my life that I hope keep the balance when I go out on the road.

Threads like you started should be warning to those who drive irresponsibly of the real consequences of driving a C3 Corvette. In your case with the deer, there is little anyone can do to prevent that, so I am not suggesting you were irresponsible...its just bad luck. But add high rates of speed and race track maneuvering when driving on our streets, and that equals irresponsibility, like it or not. The consequences are ugly.

Last edited by Torqued Off; 09-15-2017 at 06:22 AM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,341 Likes on 1,093 Posts

OP, keep in mind, YOU didn't crash your truck, the &^%$#!!!&&% deer did! I know how it feels, as my wife and I had a deer crash into us, about 5 years ago......

However, glad that you're OK.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:03 AM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel ya! We hit a 5 point Buck early in the am coming home from Florida in the wife's 2011 CTS V Coupe! Thank God he didn't go through the windshield!! Went to a Caddy dealer , no lights came on the dash...we were 1300 miles from Dallas. Made the ride home safely. Sturdy new vehicle
Old 09-15-2017, 09:25 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I live in an area where the deer out populate the humans, and pretty much every day I see one or two, sometimes a herd. I have gotten to a point where I drive up the mountain 30 mph just in case one decides to jump out in front of me. Even then I did hit one a few years ago driving 30 mph. He got up and looked at me like I was at fault for being in his road......That was in my Escalade.

The vette has three inch duals with Pypes Violators,.....when I drive that, the deer never seem to be around much.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:52 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Glad to hear everyone was okay, but it sucks about your truck.

Some people call the area where I live the "Jersey Pines", others call it the "Jersey Deer Woods", because we have those da*n things everwhere here. Not a day goes by, that I don't see one or two dead on the side of the road. I've hit them twice, and my son and daughter have both hit them.

When I was in college in Delaware, a friend hit a large buck one night, with his "John Player" 75 Mercury Capri. The Capri was just low enough that the deer did just what you said could happen with a Corvette, it came over the hood and in through the windshield. The deer landed in his lap, and he was in the hospital for a week. Needless to say, it totaled the Capri.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:03 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Yikes, Metalhead! That is scary. Thank goodness the front and rear were the main impact areas on your car and not the doors. As for the truck...the damage was limited to the fender, grill, rad support, radiator, fan and a minor tweak in the hood. I am just upset that my original paint truck will lose some of its... you know... original paint. But hey, stuff happens and at the end of the day its relatively minor deal and nobody was hurt.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:17 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by The Punisher
What year is your dodge? I have a real nice '88
It's a '78 with a '72 grill which I prefer and sneaks me into pre '72 car shows as well. We will soon see if the adjuster sees any value in my truck or if I'll have a little fight on my hands. Most parts are available but it took me a year to track down that mint grill.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:43 AM
mkdesign
Instructor

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have been very fortunate in my life to avoid accidents (knock on wood!) especially given some of my antics and the speeds I have regularly traveled. I believe we all look back and shake our heads with some amount of amazement that we are still here to tell the stories.
Unfortunately, I have too many friends that will never have the opportunity to live on due to car accidents. During my years of working on the oilsands sites in Northern Alberta, I have seen more than my share of work acquaintances and friends die in wildlife and unfortunately, alcohol-related crashes.
Yeah I'll still enjoy driving my Vette but am reminded to be more aware of the hazards that exist. I will be watching more diligently for wildlife especially during the hours around dusk and dawn. I don't usually drive late at night so impaired drivers are mostly (hopefully) still off the roads.
What concerns me the most are the drivers that insist on texting while they are driving. That is a 24-hour epidemic and now rivals impaired driving as the main killer on our roads!
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 PM
Denpo
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 68 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Relevant.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:45 AM
SPCL FX
Burning Brakes

Received 214 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I have been very fortunate in my life to avoid accidents (knock on wood!) especially given some of my antics and the speeds I have regularly traveled. I believe we all look back and shake our heads with some amount of amazement that we are still here to tell the stories.
Unfortunately, I have too many friends that will never have the opportunity to live on due to car accidents. During my years of working on the oilsands sites in Northern Alberta, I have seen more than my share of work acquaintances and friends die in wildlife and unfortunately, alcohol-related crashes.
Yeah I'll still enjoy driving my Vette but am reminded to be more aware of the hazards that exist. I will be watching more diligently for wildlife especially during the hours around dusk and dawn. I don't usually drive late at night so impaired drivers are mostly (hopefully) still off the roads.
What concerns me the most are the drivers that insist on texting while they are driving. That is a 24-hour epidemic and now rivals impaired driving as the main killer on our roads!
Good to hear you are both ok ! Hate to see what happened to your truck though !

Hope you don't mind if I share a picture of a friend of mine's car ! It appears that you two have something in common!

Old 09-16-2017, 08:30 PM
homestead
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Oh that's sucks! I`ve seen your truck around and its very cool! I ride motorcycles and when the sun starts going down this time of year you have to be extra careful watching for wildlife. I`m sure you`ll get the truck back in shape and I`m glad everyone was ok!I`ll say hi next time at McCurdy corner!

Get notified of new replies

To Crashed my baby.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:56 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by homestead
Oh that's sucks! I`ve seen your truck around and its very cool! I ride motorcycles and when the sun starts going down this time of year you have to be extra careful watching for wildlife. I`m sure you`ll get the truck back in shape and I`m glad everyone was ok!I`ll say hi next time at McCurdy corner!
Thanks Homestead. I look forward to seeing you. And yeah the truck will be back. Just parts and work, though the parts are more difficult to find than a Chevy of the same era. Heck, it took me a year to find the mint grille as they are not reproduced. Unfortunately, it takes time away from tending to the items my Vette needs, which is...well...everything.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:04 PM
mkdesign
Instructor

Originally Posted by SPCL FX
Good to hear you are both ok ! Hate to see what happened to your truck though !

Hope you don't mind if I share a picture of a friend of mine's car ! It appears that you two have something in common!

Don't mind at all. One of my first cars was a 74 Charger, soon followed by a 74 Roadrunner/GTX (factory 440, sunroof car).
I would love another but can't afford that but I could afford my Vette roadster. Go figure.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:28 AM
The Punisher
Melting Slicks

Received 167 Likes on 141 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

It's a '78 with a '72 grill which I prefer and sneaks me into pre '72 car shows as well. We will soon see if the adjuster sees any value in my truck or if I'll have a little fight on my hands. Most parts are available but it took me a year to track down that mint grill.
LMC truck has a catalog of parts for the old dodge trucks.

Quick Reply: Crashed my baby.