C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Collector rough idle when placed into gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 02:41 PM
Mako CR
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Collector rough idle when placed into gear.

I am in the process of restoring my 82 collector. Itbin has 32,000 mi but has been sitting for 15 year. Mice had their way with the interior. I have replace the interior now trying to get it on the road.

After a general tune up it ran well with a high idle. I have changed the following parts.

-Fuel pump/sending unit swapped pump with an 85
- MAP sensor
- both IAC
- O2 sensor
- fuel filter
- multiple vacuum lines

idles well when I first start it then when I place it into gear it starts to stumble check engine light comes on then it will die if I don't get into the throttle. The check engine light shows a code for the MAP.

I thought it may may be a vac line to the Fran's but I can't seem to find one. If anyone has ideas pleas help. I am out of ideas and don't want to just start throwing more parts at it.

I would appreciate any wosdom that that anyone may have on this.

Thanks!!!
Old 09-17-2017, 12:04 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I would start with fresh gas.then put some miles on it .after you change iacs they need some miles to reset.then check for vac leak on intake .disconnect all the vac lines .to do your test .your head lights could be the biggest vac leak.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:20 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The voltage value for your MAP will tell you if you have a vacuum leak. A scanner can provide this.

You need to drive the car about a mile above 35 MPH to set the value for the IAC's.

FRESH fuel is a must.

If you disconnect the battery for any reason the ECM will need to 're-learn' again which means it needs to be driven again. That is why GM has a constant current going to your ECM to maintain and hold what it has 'learned'. Just to let you know....in case oyu did not.

Whatever you do...do not mess around with any of the idle screws for adjusting your throttle bodies....unless you have the correct tools and the manual to do so. This is a very specif procedure to make sure you maintain a correct idle and how the engine runs.

At 32K miles ...I doubt the throttle bodies need to be serviced...but I am feeling that it is possible that the gaskets under them and/or the top plate of your intake is needing to be replaced to stop a vacuum leak (if you determine there is one).

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Collector rough idle when placed into gear.

Quick Reply: 1982 Collector rough idle when placed into gear.