Sponsored by:

Battery drain and side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Battery drain and side mirrors

So, battery died twice (Walmart Maxx). Just inside 3 year replacement warranty, but Walmart said they had to recharge it before they would replace it. Phoo!. So bought a new battery from Advance Auto, good deal, $180 battery for $100 out the door. Four days later, its dead also. Take to a top rated auto center and they run drain tests on it and determine have a somewhat significant drain but would need to do more to determine exactly where drain was coming from. Finally determined a "red wire on the fuse block that went up into the dash and went to both sides". Disconnected wire from fuse block and no drain. Could not determine at the time what the "red wire" was for so elected to just disconnect it. All well. Radio works, alarm works - both of which were suspect. On way home and wanted to adjust side mirrors and, guess what, neither worked. That is where the wires went to - the side mirrors. I can handle manually adjusting the side mirrors, but wonder what was causing the power draw by the mirror motors. If its an easy fix, will re-connect the power to the mirrors and apply the "fix". Otherwise, will just leave as manually adjusted.

Last edited by Wrecked82; 09-19-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 10:31 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,816 Likes on 1,605 Posts

there is no power at the motors unless you use the switch so that maybe a good place to start.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:28 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MelWff
there is no power at the motors unless you use the switch so that maybe a good place to start.
Thanks.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:58 PM
76bomb
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

This is exactly why Wal-Mart wanted to charge and test the battery first. If the battery was still good and only discharged by a drain why should they warranty that?

In our shop we have to get a failed print out code from the tester before submitting for warranty. Otherwise we eat the battery.

In any event it good to hear you found the source.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:31 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 76bomb
This is exactly why Wal-Mart wanted to charge and test the battery first. If the battery was still good and only discharged by a drain why should they warranty that?

In our shop we have to get a failed print out code from the tester before submitting for warranty. Otherwise we eat the battery.

In any event it good to hear you found the source.
I agree, now that I know it was not the battery. So, bought me a new battery I did not need. But, at least have a new warranty period with new battery.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:49 PM
Clams Canino
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry82
I agree, now that I know it was not the battery. So, bought me a new battery I did not need. But, at least have a new warranty period with new battery.
So now you own an extra battery? (I trust you didn't just leave Wal-Mart a "free battery".)
Don't take this wrong, but don't you own a car battery charger?
Not being snarky - just a serious question.
You'll find one of your mirror switches is bad. Likely the side you have to keep readjusting.
-W

Last edited by Clams Canino; 09-20-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:51 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Clams Canino
So now you own an extra battery? (I trust you didn't just leave Wal-Mart a "free battery".)
Don't take this wrong, but don't you own a car battery charger?
Not being snarky - just a serious question.
You'll find one of your mirror switches is bad. Likely the side you have to keep readjusting.
-W
Do have a battery charger. Used it. As long as I drove the car at least every other day, battery would charge off the alternator. Don't drive it for a few days and totally dead. This made me think battery was not good anymore. Just at the warranty replacement period so not being able to keep a charge let me conclude battery dead. Consistent with WalMart batteries over the years. Will go out right at end of warranty period. And, did not have time to leave it with them to recharge and test while I wander the aisles of the store. So, got new battery from another source - higher capacity, longer warranty, no core charge for taking the WalMart battery off my hands, discounted price. All told, a $100 decision, which I would make again.

Did not have to keep adjusting the mirrors. Only time I would need to adjust them is if I knocked one of them out of alignment when washing/drying the car. Adjustments happened maybe once every month or three. That is the strange thing as to why suddenly causing a battery drain. Did have to adjust the driver mirror about a week before problem occurred. Does one adjustment of a small amount result it this problem?

Your response isn't snarky. Sometimes descriptions of what is wrong are not complete enough.

Get notified of new replies

To Battery drain and side mirrors

Quick Reply: Battery drain and side mirrors