Sponsored by:

Finish my corvette

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 AM
centralcalvette
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Finish my corvette

Like many of you, my Corvette sits on the back burner of my life. Yard work, honey do's, and everything else seems to come first. My Corvette is my dream and it's only twenty or thirty hours away from being road worthy. Recently I was reminded of several curvy, redwood lined roads where I'd just love to drive top down with my wife, no expectations except a good meal when we get to where ever we're going.

I've been talking to my co-worker Dean about my car and he asks about it regularly as we're both car guys. Today he told me about his neighbor and I thought I should share this with you. A few years ago Dean got a new neighbor, never really saw him much as he worked a lot in the medical profession. He recently retired and built a shop on his property so he could finish his "Stingray". Dean sees the neighbor wife walk the dog regularly, but he never sees his Stingray owner neighbor. Recently Dean found out that the neighbor passed away. The Corvette was still not done. Dean never saw it once. The neighbor never got to finish it or drive it.

I'm making a new commitment to finish my Corvette. I've been telling myself I need to, and there's no time to waste. I'm only 52, but like I told my son, you've got to live with one foot on the dock, and one foot on the boat. Live for today, but dream and save like you'll live forever.

Even if you only spend an hour a week, make some progress. You don't want to leave your loved ones with an unfinished project, you want to leave them with memories of how you took your son or daughter on a cruise by the lake to get some ice cream, how you loaned them the car for prom etc. Spend some time with the ones you love, and finish that car so you can all make memories, because someday that's all we'll have.

Mods, more or repost this however you wish...
The following 4 users liked this post by centralcalvette:
doorgunner (09-20-2017), Randy_in_MD (09-20-2017), See 3 (09-26-2017), xpoc454 (09-20-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 AM
bwbrown
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default finish the vette

Originally Posted by centralcalvette
Like many of you, my Corvette sits on the back burner of my life. Yard work, honey do's, and everything else seems to come first. My Corvette is my dream and it's only twenty or thirty hours away from being road worthy. Recently I was reminded of several curvy, redwood lined roads where I'd just love to drive top down with my wife, no expectations except a good meal when we get to where ever we're going.

I've been talking to my co-worker Dean about my car and he asks about it regularly as we're both car guys. Today he told me about his neighbor and I thought I should share this with you. A few years ago Dean got a new neighbor, never really saw him much as he worked a lot in the medical profession. He recently retired and built a shop on his property so he could finish his "Stingray". Dean sees the neighbor wife walk the dog regularly, but he never sees his Stingray owner neighbor. Recently Dean found out that the neighbor passed away. The Corvette was still not done. Dean never saw it once. The neighbor never got to finish it or drive it.

I'm making a new commitment to finish my Corvette. I've been telling myself I need to, and there's no time to waste. I'm only 52, but like I told my son, you've got to live with one foot on the dock, and one foot on the boat. Live for today, but dream and save like you'll live forever.

Even if you only spend an hour a week, make some progress. You don't want to leave your loved ones with an unfinished project, you want to leave them with memories of how you took your son or daughter on a cruise by the lake to get some ice cream, how you loaned them the car for prom etc. Spend some time with the ones you love, and finish that car so you can all make memories, because someday that's all we'll have.

Mods, more or repost this however you wish...
I agree.
Today I had the privilege of visiting with a fellow, and buying many "new in the box" parts for my '75 coupe.
He's selling the parts off, the previous owner was working on his car and passed before he finished it.
As a 65yr old cancer survivor, I'm hoping to not follow in those footsteps.
Wishing you the best!
Bob;
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

CenCal, i feel the same way as you. While my Vette is "done" (tho the last time I drove it the brakes were feeling mushy so never done) I have a project in the works for too many years. I found that if I get out there and work for a couple of hours a few nights a week progress is made. It comes down to if I watch TV for a couple hours or I work on the car what will I get more out of? Can you drive it not done and still work on it? Sometimes if you get something back for your work it makes it easier to move forward.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:32 AM
Randy_in_MD
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

This is such an interesting topic. When I stop to think about all the people who never bought, drove, restored etc. their dream car ( or took the time to indulge whatever their passion was) it makes me even more dedicated to enjoy life as much (within reason) as possible. Tomorrow is not promised to anyone. Good luck on finishing your project.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:28 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Thanks for a good post.

Thanks for a good post.

I just bought a 68 L79 project from a guy that got it from a guy that passed before finishing it. Come to think of it, I also have a 72 LT-1 project from a family that the guy died before completing it. Pretty common situation.

Few thoughts for me that I try to keep in my mind:

1. Guy told me at work, that anybody can start a project but it takes a hell of a person to finish one.
2. Lots of unfinished projects out there, I have "2" that I am working on myself as of now.
3. You take a bath on money, if you or someone else has to sell your "unfinished" project; "unfinished".
4. I did make time to eat today and play on the internet (right now, ha!), so we decide how to spend our time for a good portion of the day.
5. These projects also take money, but if you spend a little steady and do a lot of the labor yourself (Thank goodness for this forum and the people that will gladly help you as to how) over time you can make visible progress and get to the goal line.
6. Completed projects provide unmeasured satisfaction and pride. Go to Corvette shows and talk to people that did the project themselves. I admire these people that do these 100% restorations. And I am thinking you have to take the view that "working" on your project is just as much fun as "completing and driving" your project. Sounds strange, but when I complete one project, I have to go find another project, LOL's!
Old 09-20-2017, 05:19 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

My thing is this. I continue to work even though I am at an age where many of my friends are retired. I do this because I wish to enhance my retirement by making the most of the earning power that I possess at this time in my career. By making this decision, I allow myself some privilege. For example, I do not do mundane chores at home that waste my time. I hire someone to take care of my yard. His hourly cost is less than what I am earning by continuing to work. I also get routine handyman stuff at home done by a professional handyman. I hire a competent person to do some tasks on my Corvette project. Most of this stuff I will do when I retire, but while I am working, I do not feel guilty about hiring someone else. It is in fact a tradeoff, but I will finish my car if my time on earth does not expire in the next 2 years. I will be able to enjoy my car when I retire.

It is a different way of looking at things, but I am OK with it.

Get notified of new replies

To Finish my corvette

Quick Reply: Finish my corvette