Sponsored by:

My 79 Hotrod Project Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 01:25 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by mobird
Awesome! It's a good feeling to actually own a dream car right?
Sure does!
Old 11-17-2017, 11:21 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks to forum member "Bikespace"! He hit me up for a trade: His black aftermarket steering wheel (What I was planning to buy), rubber center console, and sun visors for my Oyster wheel and visors. Win win for us as it would have cost both of us quite a bit more money than the shipping costs to either buy or dye our interior pieces.

Here's the wheel:

And here it is in the car (need to paint the column and button, and it's about time I start dyeing the dash):

Old 11-19-2017, 06:39 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Cool! Your priorities are similar to mine, Mine has just been painted but only because it needed some panel repair. Lightening the front and rear is high on my list! Damn these cars are fun with a few modifications...
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,146 Likes on 2,335 Posts

Looks good! I'm glad the wheel worked out for you! The white dash looks pretty cool with the white dials on the gauges and the black wheel, just sayin'.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metalhead140
Cool! Your priorities are similar to mine, Mine has just been painted but only because it needed some panel repair. Lightening the front and rear is high on my list! Damn these cars are fun with a few modifications...
Absolutely! The biggest killers of fun in these things is the weight (and the stock power). Both are easily remedied! A head and cam swap can get you some pretty decent power, and a weekend of time can get you a few hundred pounds out of your car!

All told it is fairly simple to get these down to 3,200-3,300 pounds (modern sports car weight, lighter than the modern mustangs/Camaros, etc...) and 300 whp. After that, the expense goes up a bit.

This project has changed final goals a few times as my own taste for it has developed. Slowly I'm realizing that my favorites things are the way this car looks and feels (long and low), and I want more modern performance. Most of the suspension has been upgraded (will finish the front this winter), modern wheels and tires, lighter weight with the weight loss mods, so I think the plan may be LS motor and fuel injection to kinda complete the "modern" old school muscle car.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:24 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bikespace
Looks good! I'm glad the wheel worked out for you! The white dash looks pretty cool with the white dials on the gauges and the black wheel, just sayin'.
I'm loving the wheel! Thanks a bunch!

Haven't driven with it yet (have my lights all ripped out at the moment, doing some re-wiring and LED conversion), but it feels great so far!
Old 11-20-2017, 07:12 PM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Absolutely! The biggest killers of fun in these things is the weight (and the stock power). Both are easily remedied! A head and cam swap can get you some pretty decent power, and a weekend of time can get you a few hundred pounds out of your car!

All told it is fairly simple to get these down to 3,200-3,300 pounds (modern sports car weight, lighter than the modern mustangs/Camaros, etc...) and 300 whp. After that, the expense goes up a bit.

This project has changed final goals a few times as my own taste for it has developed. Slowly I'm realizing that my favorites things are the way this car looks and feels (long and low), and I want more modern performance. Most of the suspension has been upgraded (will finish the front this winter), modern wheels and tires, lighter weight with the weight loss mods, so I think the plan may be LS motor and fuel injection to kinda complete the "modern" old school muscle car.
Agreed. I've got the power (and fuel injection), suspension, wheels and tyres, and the car drives very well. Taking some more weight out (I have lost a bunch with alloy engine parts/rad, borgeson steering, exhaust, removed spare etc already) is my next priority. LS is a step too far for me personally (main issue for me is actually the appearance underhood), but I understand the appeal, and would really like an alloy block sbc or bbc myself.
The following users liked this post:
mobird (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:29 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Agreed. I've got the power (and fuel injection), suspension, wheels and tyres, and the car drives very well. Taking some more weight out (I have lost a bunch with alloy engine parts/rad, borgeson steering, exhaust, removed spare etc already) is my next priority. LS is a step too far for me personally (main issue for me is actually the appearance underhood), but I understand the appeal, and would really like an alloy block sbc or bbc myself.

Totally agree, the old school small block looks better than the LS under the hood. I'm gonna try to run my wiring really cleanly to help, but in the end coil on plug just looks a lot worse haha.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:50 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

So my taillights have always been pretty dim, and at dusk I feel like my car is invisibile with the grey color and dim lights. I was planning to just replace the bulbs with LED bulbs to put out more light, but my tail light covers have some cracks and scrapes on them anyway, so I thought "what the heck" and bought some LED trailer lights. Had to do some creative thinking to mount them up, but I've got them in nice and solid now and all wired up.

Let me know what you think. I'm still a little 50/50 on them. The light output is great. And although my car is sort of a retro-modern look (C5 seats, modern 18" wheels, lowered, side pipes) they might look a little TOO modern. I"ll try them out for a while at least!

Before:

After:

Old 11-27-2017, 12:58 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

For me I greatly prefer the original tail lights.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:17 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I like them , I have the same type on mine !
Old 11-28-2017, 09:48 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Priya
For me I greatly prefer the original tail lights.

On their own, I totally agree, the original tail lights are more interesting to look at.

On my car which has quite a few modern touches, the LED modern light look kinda fits. I think... the jury is still out haha
Old 11-28-2017, 09:49 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bazza77
I like them , I have the same type on mine !

Nice! How long have you had yours on?
Old 11-29-2017, 03:30 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

They look alright! Personally I prefer the standard lights, but they're not bad, similar to the bubble taillights.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:35 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Nice! How long have you had yours on?
I had them in my shed for about 5 years , but have now had them on the road for about 2 years now , no problems .

BUT two of mine are yellow !

Last edited by bazza77; 11-29-2017 at 04:36 AM.
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bazza77
I had them in my shed for about 5 years , but have now had them on the road for about 2 years now , no problems .

BUT two of mine are yellow !

Cool! I was wondering about the longevity.

Got any pictures? I'd be interested to see how it looks with two yellow lights!
Old 11-29-2017, 08:54 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

They look alright! Personally I prefer the standard lights, but they're not bad, similar to the bubble taillights.
Thanks for the input!

Get notified of new replies

To My 79 Hotrod Project Build Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 09:33 AM
JasonAndrew
Safety Car

Received 270 Likes on 169 Posts

Pretty cool! This is like an episode of wheeler dealers, without the bad accents!

Car in the junkyard picture? 4 door 78-81 malibu with slots?

Ever try a Holley carb? I think you can unlock some extra power with one.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 AM
mobird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JasonAndrew
Pretty cool! This is like an episode of wheeler dealers, without the bad accents!

Car in the junkyard picture? 4 door 78-81 malibu with slots?

Ever try a Holley carb? I think you can unlock some extra power with one.
Hey, whose to say I don't have a bad accent??

Not sure what that car was! There was some pretty cool vintage iron buried in there though. I should have taken more pictures.

The plan is actually to go EFI. Actually the plan is to go fuel injected LS. So I don't want to invest any more into the carb. However as far as carb function goes, I'd rather run a quadrajet than a Holley. The quad can make just as good power as the Holley, but will tend to get a bit better mileage and have a more "tunable" A/F under the curve. However it takes a little more tinkering to get it perfect.

That said, I REALLY want to get on the fuel injected train.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:04 AM
Bigeddie
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

hey do you have more pictures of the bumper removals? phitibucket ruined threads

Quick Reply: My 79 Hotrod Project Build Thread