Seriously considering buying this 1979 L82

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 03:57 AM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Location: Gilbert, Arizona Currently Own: 1998 Coupe YouTube: My Corvette Life
Received 494 Likes on 208 Posts

Default Seriously considering buying this 1979 L82

Need some opinions. This car is for sale for $5,000.
1979 Corvette L82, 4 speed manual.
If it’s half as good as the pictures look, I think it’s a good deal. Any thoughts? What are some things I should look out for? I’m just looking for a good driver to play around with. Nothing crazy. This will be my first Corvette.

Here is the sales description:
“This car runs great. No smoke and not a single drop of any fluid. This could be a daily driver for someone as it sits. The interior could use some freshening up as you can see by the driver seat but it is all complete. Power windows work but power locks do not. This car has factory a/c, power steering, power brakes, power locks, and a perfect shifting 4 speed H pattern transmission with a solid clutch. There are some details that need to be fixed such as passenger door doesn't open from the outside(linkage must be off), and the upholstery of course, but it is a solid running car especially for a 1979. It has a new battery and all fluids have just been gone through. This is the L82 version of a 79 which is the 4 bolt main with 220hp. The motor is all original and it does pass emissions here in Arizona so no worries there. Clean and clear AZ title.”

Last edited by Chris Draper; 09-26-2017 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

I would suggest buying the very best Corvette that you can afford. A lot of times a $5k Corvette turns into a $20k Corvette that ends up being worth $10k.

You can't tell much from three photos, but what I see is a thrashed interior which makes me think the rest of the car was cared for the exact same way.

Last edited by Revi; 09-26-2017 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:46 AM
raydog9379
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I have one of those that I'm in probably an additional 12-14k 12 years later. I paid 7,750 for it back in 2005... If I spent 12k-15k at the time I prob. could have had a decent driver chrome bumper car. Live and learn clearly. I have a car I spent nearly 20k on now and it's not worth 20k.

Mine wasn't in as bad condition wise inside than this one. Mine actually was fairly decent, but figured I repainted it and have gorgeous paint but avg interior. So I redid it all.

Fortunately as a result of this forum, I know what to look for in the next one down the road.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:12 AM
TexasTechDad
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good Advice/ Buy the best you can afford! Forget about daily driver if you want to make it to work on time! I love my 77 but it was built 41 years ago this month. Stuff just happens, module in distributor just stops working, window wont roll up etc... at best its a weekend toy like a boat or jet ski. You can get a really nice mid 70's driver under 10k, take your time and don't settle. My wife bought my 77 as a birthday gift 8 yrs ago. I had a list of what I wanted 1977, white/red rally wheels in the best condition I could get. Looked , waited and bingo a dealer friend got exactly the car I wanted. Good Luck!
Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Looks like a hammered sunbaked C3 with fresh paint to flip
On appearance, a 4 spd theres the allure but look past the paint what do you have? A serious money pit vette stuff is not cheap.
If it were me borrow another 5k and get one thats been gone through.
Or look into a C4 for 5-6k you can get a nice one with working ac..those cars are dirt cheap right now, many have less than 100k on em in that price range. friend just picked up a very pristine 94 with 52k on it for 6k.

Last edited by cv67; 09-26-2017 at 10:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:58 AM
Tooonz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I will just add this, when we bought our car, the seller said one of the things it needed was a new arm rest. So the reason it needed a new armrest was because they took the door apart, lost parts and made a complete mes of the linkage. if you have never worked inside a C3 door, I can now confidently say I could remove a kidney from a baby squirrel. So hope it's an easy fix, who am I kidding, linkage in these doors is a bitch.

Good luck, I say what can you really buy for 5K that is as much fun as a C3? And honestly it look like good paint, so that is a huge plus in my book. If you bought a 5K car that needed a paint job you can add another 8-10K onto that and easily be in over your head. If it's a true Arizona car chances are you have no rust also.
Old 09-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm new here so take my opinion with a big bag of salt. I also got my '74 for free so my view on pricing is skewed a bit as well. Of COURSE you'll need to inspect that car inside and out and make your decision based on the real rather than the imagined, with your head, not your heart. It does look good in the photos as far as the body and new coat of Armor-All on the tires goes, the interior is obviously trashed. Rather than looking at it as Corvette, just keep seeing it in terms of a used car, a driver for now. Mechanics check out? Body decent under the paint? Exhaust in good shape? Chassis solid? Mechanics as purported to be? Good so far. Do you require a stock (restored) interior or can you work with something a little bit modified? Seats are easy, carpet is nothing at all. Consoles can be repaired or removed entirely. Door panels can be had used or repaired and partially recovered with some random black vinyl and plastic pieces from another car. Does originality matter to you on this one or are you just REALLY hoping to find a Vette cheap enough to drive and enjoy? Leaking seals can be replaced with universal lengths from anywhere. Electrics can be "jumped" and substitute switched utilized instead. Shorted wires can and ought to be found and sorted out. All of these apply to any used car, of course. If you like what you see and can work around the need for originality and can get the car for $3,500/$4,000. I would say to go for it. Even as a basic used car, it's not a $5,000 ride. Here in the North East, it's a $2,500/$3,000 car mostly because it would have a rotted chassis under the shiny paint. In a desert state, it's probably a $4,000 car because of the lack of rust and the assurances that it's mechanically sound. Just my completely unfounded "new guy" opinion for now.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:22 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...Seriously considering buying this 1979 L82...
Make an appointment with the seller and look the car over.
Old 09-26-2017, 01:25 PM
Bloodzone
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 77 Posts

I would pass on that car.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 PM
C3 4ME
Le Mans Master

Received 429 Likes on 307 Posts

As a 79 L-82 4 speed owner, I'd definitely go check it out. IF it's a lifelong Arizona car, hopefully there's no rust. If it runs and drives well and has no rust, I'd say it's probably worth it.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

Thank you all for the comments. I'm going to go check out the car after work today.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:32 PM
brick1234
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

if the paint is nice its a good deal as long as no rust, one thing you will notice is people talk down on other cars that people list here for advice. in reality it all comes down to what you want and how much cash you have. if you want a crusier and a descent looking car cant go wrong but if you want restored orginal yeah its cheaper to find something done then do it yourself at your expensive. remember this though cash talks so essentialy you can get it cheaper, but also think is there something i really want that i will regret later by getting this instead. ive seen cars alot worse asking for more but just sit for sale biggest plus this has going is l82, 4 speed and if the paint is as good as pictures.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:18 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Yep, every time a cat posts a cheap c3 he dreams of buying the negitive replies flood in, and whats hard is to separate the facts of buying a c3 from the people who just want to spew opinions whats right only for them,

C3s do not make good dds,
Nope, it the car is worn out, poorly maintained, and in need of repairs it wont, no make model will,

If the c3 is in restored or well mantained condition, and you are good dding a sports car they work great for that, over 30 years of c3s all dds,
Dont blame the car for owners neglect,

Buy the most you can afford, nice advice, perhaps 5k is a cats budget, he wants a 5k car knowing it wont be perfect but he can tinker on it, make it nice,

Perhaps the cat doesnt want to borrow money, i own my home, cars and all my junk, do you?

Perhaps a cat wants a 5k car now and doesnt want to save a few more years to get a 10 15 20k car down the road,

A heck of a lot of members here if not all have more invested than their c3 is worth, there are far better investments in the world than c3s.

A 5k c3 will likely need stuff, rust is the killer, there is a members chrome bumper car on here, stunning looking car, full of rust, very sad, cut the cars value to way less than half,

If rust isnt an issue thats a cool car for 5k or the less than that the seller might take cash on the spot.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:49 PM
maj75
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 90 Posts

If a "cat's" budget is $5000 he shouldn't be buying a $5000 Vette with issues...

No pictures of engine, interior is shot, weatherstrips shot, T-tops have something weird going on, delamination?

How many threads start with a cheap corvette and years later it still isn't sorted out?
Old 09-26-2017, 11:20 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by maj75
If a "cat's" budget is $5000 he shouldn't be buying a $5000 Vette with issues...

No pictures of engine, interior is shot, weatherstrips shot, T-tops have something weird going on, delamination?

How many threads start with a cheap corvette and years later it still isn't sorted out?
The cat is going to check it out in person, might be junk might be okay,

Why shouldn't he buy a 5k vette if thats his budget then as money comes in he budgets some into the build,
Perhaps we all cant go buy 20 plus k turn keys or even want them,

Should all 5k vettes be dumped in a landfill, if no, then what should happen to them?

How many threads started with a wrecked, burned up or rusted out vette
That the peanut gallery said run and now they are stunning cars? ( right oldgto Doorgunner, etc)

My 69 is geez, about 6 years into project, yeah, 6500 69 bb convertible,

But my issues are heath limitations not drive or funds,

I like having my 69 better than not having it, i divide funds between life, fixing out b and b home and cars,
whats wrong with that?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:12 AM
Revi
Drifting

Received 148 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Draper
Need some opinions. This car is for sale for $5,000.
1979 Corvette L82, 4 speed manual.
If it’s half as good as the pictures look, I think it’s a good deal. Any thoughts? What are some things I should look out for? I’m just looking for a good driver to play around with. Nothing crazy. This will be my first Corvette.
Originally Posted by The13Bats
Should all 5k vettes be dumped in a landfill, if no, then what should happen to them?
No they all shouldn't go to the landfill, but more often than not a $5k Corvette is more like a lump of coal than a diamond. As the OP has never had a Corvette before, looking at this one with Rose Colored Glasses can cost him a lot of money and heart ache. He asked for "opinions" and he got them, both good and bad. If his budget is $5k, things are only going to get more expensive. Perhaps he's been made more aware of that now?

To each their own, but who wants their first Corvette to be a big piece of crap?

Based on the interior pictures alone, I would guess that every suspension component (rubber bushing, wheel bearing, u-joints, etc.) are all 38 years old and most likely in need of replacement.

Last edited by Revi; 09-27-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:33 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Bats, I agree fully with both of your posts
The following users liked this post:
The13Bats (09-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Seriously considering buying this 1979 L82

Old 09-27-2017, 01:12 PM
Chris Draper
Drifting

When to see the car yesterday, It was a lot worse in person. More like a $3,000 car. It ran, but that is about it. None of the gauges worked. electric windows and locks didn't work. Windshield wipers didnt work. Passenger door doesn't open from the outside. Paint looks good from 20' away but the clear-coat is pealing everywhere. Headlights kind of work but there isn't quite enough vacuum pressure. E-brake wouldn't hold. Interior would need a complete gut and replace. Glass t-tops were broken.

It would be a good project car if the guy would take $3000 but we already got an offer for $3,750 and turned it down.

Last edited by Chris Draper; 09-27-2017 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Adding a pics
Old 09-27-2017, 04:27 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chris Draper
When to see the car yesterday, It was a lot worse in person. More like a $3,000 car. It ran, but that is about it. None of the gauges worked. electric windows and locks didn't work. Windshield wipers didnt work. Passenger door doesn't open from the outside. Paint looks good from 20' away but the clear-coat is pealing everywhere. Headlights kind of work but there isn't quite enough vacuum pressure. E-brake wouldn't hold. Interior would need a complete gut and replace. Glass t-tops were broken.

It would be a good project car if the guy would take $3000 but we already got an offer for $3,750 and turned it down.

Sorry to hear that but in your hunt for the right car at the right price for you will look at a lot of turds,

Took me over a year to find my 69 and at the price i paid it wasnt perfect, some would call it crap, but i love my 69,

Now ill let the guys tell you they told you so...
Old 09-27-2017, 07:06 PM
revitup
Burning Brakes

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts

I love the speakers in the doors. Is that 70's or what.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering buying this 1979 L82