C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 hood vs L88 hood, is there a difference?

Old 10-05-2017, 07:57 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
The Hood in the post I attached is from Corvette Central. I want to keep the stock lines but need just a little more room under it of air filter clearance. I talked to my paint and body guy who is a guru with fiberglass and he said he can raise the center of my hood so it will look completely stock, like yours, give me the clearance I need and then I can keep my stock hood, which he says is better than any aftermarket hood IHO.[/QUOTE]

Imho 99% of the time on c3s its better to add a scoop to a good fitting stock hoods, as hood fit c3 to c3 even stock hoods can be hit or miss....
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,114 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
The Hood in the post I attached is from Corvette Central. I want to keep the stock lines but need just a little more room under it of air filter clearance. I talked to my paint and body guy who is a guru with fiberglass and he said he can raise the center of my hood so it will look completely stock, like yours, give me the clearance I need and then I can keep my stock hood, which he says is better than any aftermarket hood IHO.
It's a mixed bag. With the aftermarket hood, you pretty much know what it's going to look like. With your fiberglass guru guy, unless he can show you an example of his work, it's kind of like getting a haircut from a new barber, you might not like what he did.

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Imho 99% of the time on c3s its better to add a scoop to a good fitting stock hoods, as hood fit c3 to c3 even stock hoods can be hit or miss....

This hood I liked but I have to admit there was a good month of work to get it to fit. Beyond just the attachments, the center was concave and I had to fill many times to get it nice and flat. And even worse it was a 1/4" too narrow which meant adding material along the long edge.

I almost went stinger with my stock hood. Getting rid of the WW wiper door pushed me to this hood. Oh and it is heavier with the added length.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:37 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 771 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by ignatz
It's a mixed bag. With the aftermarket hood, you pretty much know what it's going to look like. With your fiberglass guru guy, unless he can show you an example of his work, it's kind of like getting a haircut from a new barber, you might not like what he did.

This hood I liked but I have to admit there was a good month of work to get it to fit. Beyond just the attachments, the center was concave and I had to fill many times to get it nice and flat. And even worse it was a 1/4" too narrow which meant adding material along the long edge.

I almost went stinger with my stock hood. Getting rid of the WW wiper door pushed me to this hood. Oh and it is heavier with the added length.
A big hang up i have is i like the weird cantankerous wiper door, but the long hoods kind of flow and look better,
Ill cross that bridge when i get there i guess
Old 10-06-2017, 11:14 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,646 Likes on 2,913 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
A big hang up i have is i like the weird cantankerous wiper door, but the long hoods kind of flow and look better,
Ill cross that bridge when i get there i guess
That's one of the nice things on the 73, no wiper door and it has the long hood.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:30 PM
TCracingCA
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,002 Posts

$900 is actually nothing to get you the look you would like or are thinking about, along with your personal unique custom!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LT1 hood vs L88 hood, is there a difference?