Sponsored by:

Rear hatch hinge replacement 1982CE

Old 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM
Drifter36
CF Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Rear hatch hinge replacement 1982CE

Hi
Well I just pulled the trigger on an 82CE. It has been sitting under a tarp in the back of a warehouse outside Philly for 20 years. Itís a project car for me and it needs a lot of tlc. Iíll need the help of this forum as I move forward.
But my first question is this. Does anyone know of anyone that still makes replacement hatch hinges for the poor quality GM hinges that came with the car? The problem is well documented and Iíve reached out to a couple of email addresses that I found on line. But no response so far.

My hatch hinges are stretched and need replacement.
Thanks
Hereís a picture of the car, still in the warehouse, as I was checking it out.
The following users liked this post:
ColdLogic (04-30-2019)
Old 10-05-2017, 01:51 PM
Go Vette Go
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Give a call to Tony's Corvettes in Gaithesburg, Md. A good friend had them replace the hinges on his 82.

http://www.tonyscorvetteshop.com/About/Standards.aspx

John
Drifter36 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 02:56 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Received 200 Likes on 156 Posts
Default Wrote it...use SEARCH! ITS YOUR FRIEND

Originally Posted by Drifter36 View Post
Hi
Well I just pulled the trigger on an 82CE. It has been sitting under a tarp in the back of a warehouse outside Philly for 20 years. Itís a project car for me and it needs a lot of tlc. Iíll need the help of this forum as I move forward.
But my first question is this. Does anyone know of anyone that still makes replacement hatch hinges for the poor quality GM hinges that came with the car? The problem is well documented and Iíve reached out to a couple of email addresses that I found on line. But no response so far.

Thanks
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594185301

UnckaHal
Nice car! Welcome to the CE brotherhood.
Drifter36 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Default inspiration!

inspiration Me Bucko! lol
Attached Images   
Drifter36 (10-05-2017)
Old 10-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Willcox Corvette
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,223 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Welcome to the forum... I have the ability to make the hinge in a Herco but I can't find my original hinge... I have one somewhere, but it's in the hiding in a bin somewhere.

Anyway, Richard Fortier (the old owner of Pargon) used to make a reproduction of the original style hinge that will pass judging and is stronger than the original GM style hinge. The only thing I have on him is an old email address [email protected] But... Richard advertises in the NCRS drive line every month and I'm sure he's on the NCRS forum. One quick post on there should generate you a direct phone number or a newer email address.

Willcox
Old 10-05-2017, 04:49 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Default Dear Wilcox

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette View Post
Welcome to the forum... I have the ability to make the hinge in a Herco but I can't find my original hinge... I have one somewhere, but it's in the hiding in a bin somewhere.

Anyway, Richard Fortier (the old owner of Pargon) used to make a reproduction of the original style hinge that will pass judging and is stronger than the original GM style hinge. The only thing I have on him is an old email address [email protected] But... Richard advertises in the NCRS drive line every month and I'm sure he's on the NCRS forum. One quick post on there should generate you a direct phone number or a newer email address.

Willcox
Dear Willcox (some of my favorite peeps!)
I am a mechanical design engineer/ solidworks expert.
If you find the hinge and you want me to 'upgrade it' (NCRS, sorry, you know why!) If you get me the hinge, I'll reverse engineer it and send you the solid model file, so you can convert to SurfCam or MasterCam.
Helps all CE customers. As you can see I re-engineered what was there and my hatch works like the door on the Millennium Falcon now....
My 'party trick' is showing up for a show...reaching over my shoulder and 'deploying' the hatch like the air-brake on a F-86 SabreJet....fun stuff!

Thanks for being Wilcox. I'm particularly grateful for all the diagrams you provide....you've all been a great help.

Unckahal
Old 10-05-2017, 05:08 PM
Drifter36
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Willcox Corvette View Post

Willcox
Thanks Wilcox
I really would like to restore the functionality of the hatch and Iím not interested in passing muster with NCRS. Iíll try to contact him and see what he is able to do for me and other CE owners. Have you made these in the past? It seems that there have been others that have made replacements in the past but Iíve had no luck finding them or a one else that still makes them. Iíll post back here if I find Richard.
BTW, thanks for your continuing support of this forum.
Bob
Old 10-05-2017, 05:19 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Drifter...(oversteer-er? lol)

I know you were just checking out the car...so I'll make a minor point here...Try NOT to jack up the car from just one point....puts too much stress on the body, which is bolted to a semi-flexible frame designed in 1960-61.

My preferred is Two jacks per side...two jacks per end..SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Good luck! Great car great fun...wait until you drive it...EVERYBODY make positive comments! It is the plastic fantastic!

Unka
Old 10-05-2017, 06:33 PM
Drifter36
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by L-46man View Post
Drifter...(oversteer-er? lol)

I know you were just checking out the car...so I'll make a minor point here...Try NOT to jack up the car from just one point....puts too much stress on the body, which is bolted to a semi-flexible frame designed in 1960-61.

My preferred is Two jacks per side...two jacks per end..SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Good luck! Great car great fun...wait until you drive it...EVERYBODY make positive comments! It is the plastic fantastic!

Unka
Thanks Unk
Good advice
Iím going to invest in another floor jack. Once I get it on jack stands, it will be there for a while. There are plenty of problems with this one. But I wanted a project car and I found one!
Bob
Old 10-19-2017, 02:47 PM
cruban
CF Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Wilcox
I really would like to restore the functionality of the hatch and Iím not interested in passing muster with NCRS. Iíll try to contact him and see what he is able to do for me and other CE owners. Have you made these in the past? It seems that there have been others that have made replacements in the past but Iíve had no luck finding them or a one else that still makes them. Iíll post back here if I find Richard.
BTW, thanks for your continuing support of this forum.
Bob
Bob, I'm in the same situation, looking for replacement hinges. If you find someone to make it please post back and I'll do the same...

Thanks
Old 10-19-2017, 03:25 PM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Gentlemen....step back to 5,000 feet here....you do NOT need to 'replace' your hinges, unless the casting itself is broken and or fractured....you can re-adjust them with my procedure.

One thing that made the hinges spread or creep is the constant pressure of the gas struts against the hinge. The other thing is the bushings wear out....you can get the bushings.
1. Re-adjust the hinges using what I wrote.
2. Adjust the keepers to the ideal position.
3. leave the hatch open as much as you can, to take the pressure off the hinges.
4. The Hinges probably have just about 'crept' as far as they're going to go.

Do not let the lack of parts avail, keep you from having a perfectly operating hatch.

My 'fix' is coming up on a year now....and the hatch works as well NOW, as five minutes after I fixed it.

Good luck CE bruthas.

UnkaHal
Old 04-30-2019, 03:58 AM
ColdLogic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Thanks
hey brother, how did your 82CE turnout? I just bought one my self and having leaks in the rear window, plus the WS is shot to hell. When I looked for info on any vids or info I found out about the hinges and the possibility of using shims to align it. Let me know how your job turned out and any tips I need to watch for.
Old 04-30-2019, 10:25 AM
Lakeside49
CF Senior Member

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

Obviously, nobody wants problems, especially those with freaky, leaky or squeaky consequences as this. But, I read & watch you guys share your solutions with some measured envy. Despite the inherent original GM hinge design-durability faults you guys are figuring it out and sharing your corrective options - each of them worthy. Just how cool is that to be able to open your bubble-back hatch?! Even if just knowing, that... you can. (and, without the expense & trade-offs of cobbling one together from a retro-fit kit). So, if you feel any sort of minor, annoying envy vibes... my bad.

Last edited by Lakeside49; 04-30-2019 at 10:39 AM.
Drifter36 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Drifter36
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by ColdLogic View Post
hey brother, how did your 82CE turnout? I just bought one my self and having leaks in the rear window, plus the WS is shot to hell. When I looked for info on any vids or info I found out about the hinges and the possibility of using shims to align it. Let me know how your job turned out and any tips I need to watch for.
Hi Jim
Iím past the two year mark on this rejuvenation. Itís not a restore but my goal is to get it mechanically reliable and looking/running decent. I have a laundry list of completed tasks that include a new interior, new front wheel bearings, new brakes, new A/C system, radiator, tires, power steering, weatherstripping, and did I mention, a new engine. The original high mileage rounded out a lobe on the cam and I lost a cylinder. So in went a rebuilt core. Next winter I tackle the control arms and trailing arms. But it keeps me busy in retirement and I love it. I guess thatís what itís all about.
How is yours coming along? Thereís a great group of CE owners and others here on the forum that will jump right in an give you help and info. By the way, the cross fire is running just fine. It took some time to get it that way. So Iím a believer. Keep us posted
Bob

Old 04-30-2019, 10:58 AM
L-46man
CF Senior Member

Nice car...great work with care! I have been enjoying mine for 5 years now....VERY glad I bought it.

I didn't feel the need to go the 'replacing the hinges' thing....bit of a myth that....you can adjust them, pretty much no matter how bad they SEEM to be. So I went that route and wrote a thread on how to do it.

Keep in touch.....there are a lot of LOUSY CE's out there...but fewer good ones. I'm figuring about 1500 left in 90% or better condition.

Keep up the good work!
Unkahal.
Drifter36 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 02:50 PM
lowe.7842may

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Thanks
There was a company that made a conversion kit for the '79 Corvette to be able to open the rear window. The companies name was "Car & Concepts Company". I just found this info in the May 2019 issue of "Vette" magazine on page 37. There is a picture of a 79 with the glass up. Also a picture of the 82 CE. It says there were 6,759 CE's made with the hatch back. That is a great feature but the sprung hinges you have are a bummer. I have a 78 Silver Ann. Ed. and would like that option. Hvae just started looking on line for Car & Concepts with no luck. Please let me know if you find them. [email protected] Thanks
Old 04-30-2019, 04:49 PM
lowe.7842may

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drifter36 -- There were 2 locations in PA and NJ that may be able to help you with the hinges. Quality Coach Div., Rec Ve, Inc, Rt 309, Montgomeryville, PA 18906 - 215-643-2211 and in NJ -- Auto T-Tops, Rt#73 & Morris Ave., Maple Shade, NJ, 08052 -- 609-663-6290. I got his info from someone on the Forum and it is old. These places were installers for "Cars & Concepts". They may have hinges they will sell. Good luck.
Drifter36 (05-01-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 06:08 AM
Drifter36
CF Senior Member

Ok so I had posted a link to a vendor that supplies new hatch hinges for 82CE. Don’t know why but I see that post is now gone. So here is the information again, without including reference to the corvette website that hosted it. This is useful info for CE owners so mods, please don’t delete it. I will send a pm to anyone that requests the info.

Custom Image Corvettes is happy to announce we now offer a solution to the Collectors Edition dreaded hatch hinges!!

There is only one guy that makes them but actually getting them is a privilege that few get. CIC now has the solution and you can get them anytime you want!!!

Forum Member only price $275 plus shipping.
To order email [email protected]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear hatch hinge replacement 1982CE

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: