Sponsored by:

Anyone not interested in selling? Ever

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 08:44 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

Well wishes go you to you guys with afflictions, health issues suck,
Hymen roth said he would give a million to **** and not have it hurt, not my issue but i understand.

The idea of giving someone a gift or receiving one is alien to me as in just hard for me to wrap around, and i admit i find for lack of proper term hypocrisy in some of it,

Sure ill give my 69 vette to some buddy because he has countless others and he wont ever even drive it and call that sentiment,
Eddie got it right, his brother dies of cancer leaves him his vette, eddie modded it, drives it like he stole it,

"Deserving" geez what does that mean and to who, And deserving is different to appreciative,

In my time on here i have given some things to guys, i could of flipped the item but i wanted the cat to have it and i have had that come back to me, i cant thank those guys enough for their generosity.
Did i deserve it? That is up to the giver to decide,

I see people get a freebie then bitch about it...really?

My wife gave mike a pos truck that as far as i know is still running great, he lied a blue streak and didnt come through, but he did "need" transportation he just didnt appreciate a kind guesture at all,

I was very disillusioned a few years ago,
I look into those reality shows that fix or finish your car for you,
I didnt feel i deserved it but wft i will look into it,

But do the guys who i think deserve it get it, hell no, guys who boast about their big shops and how they just finished some no expense sparred build get it,
Im not sour grapes, but i could find real guys who "deserved" it....

So if someone gives you an apple or a vette or anything else, at least be worthy of that gift.
The following users liked this post:
Palanon (10-21-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 08:52 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

"Everything is for sale for the right price."

True. Anyone out there want to give me a $100K for my '76? Problem is, unlikely to find a buyer for my RIGHT price, lol.

Last edited by resdoggie; 10-14-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

But do the guys who i think deserve it get it, hell no, guys who boast about their big shops and how they just finished some no expense sparred build get it,
know someone who had his car done one one of those shows.
Its connections and people that have $ helping those with $; The "hard luck stories" man they dont know what tough is.
(fwiw his car was ruined..took a yr for them to fix it)at the end of the day its what makes for good tv

Youre correct on most the "leaving it behind" stories the cars get abused or sold in a weekend and the money blown in a day. Dont think thats what the people leaving it behind were hoping for.

Lets hope Ratt gets a C3.

Last edited by cv67; 10-14-2017 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Jermo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems like every time I drive the 62 or 71, someone asks me if they are for sale. I've been looking for a small sticker I can place in the corner of the windshield saying "Not For Sale"
But I did find this

This should stop them in their tracks
Old 10-14-2017, 09:25 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Is that the price for the '62 or '71?
Old 10-14-2017, 09:49 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Lets hope Ratt gets a C3.
It is actually a C2 and worth millions. The owner grew his business out of his dad's Texaco station. He owns many cars and and works day and night fixing other people's cars. He is a very honest, kind and generous person who loves all cool old cars.
​​I certainly don' t need anybody to give me anything and would have no use for the car. It really can' t be driven on the street.
My point of the post is that money cannot buy every car, especially when the owner is motivated by love of the car and relationships with people..​​​​..rather than money.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:56 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jermo
Seems like every time I drive the 62 or 71, someone asks me if they are for sale. I've been looking for a small sticker I can place in the corner of the windshield saying "Not For Sale"
But I did find this

This should stop them in their tracks
Okay,
Now there goes my mind engaging again,

So i assume ( perhaps wrongly ) 99.9% of people who ask "is it for sale" are not in the market, not vette people and dont have the fundage and or desire to buy such car even at going rate prices or otherwise they would have one,

So 64 dollar question,
Why do so many people ask if its for sale?
Old 10-14-2017, 10:07 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Originally Posted by Faster Rat
It is actually a C2 and worth millions. The owner grew his business out of his dad's Texaco station. He owns many cars and and works day and night fixing other people's cars. He is a very honest, kind and generous person who loves all cool old cars.
​​I certainly don' t need anybody to give me anything and would have no use for the car. It really can' t be driven on the street.
My point of the post is that money cannot buy every car, especially when the owner is motivated by love of the car and relationships with people..​​​​..rather than money.
I know there are exceptions to every rule,

Im sure not taking this seriously, and hope no one takes me serious,

When i was spewing about getting offered tall dollars would 100% of people who say they would never sell hold strong, hell no, some would fold like a cheap suit at a Chinese laundry,

I get it, there is some coolness stigma about saying no amount of money can buy the car, and in a few cases like your buddy it very well may be true, but most i think, ( no offense ) are full of it...

In the case of your buddies car to me if its as you describe it deserves to go to a museum where it can be enjoyed by many.
Old 10-15-2017, 08:07 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Gordon and I talked about this more than once. We call it stupid money. If offered enough money, every car I own is for sale. But that is just me. David
Old 10-15-2017, 08:22 AM
Jermo
Racer

[QUOTE=The13Bats;1595766513]Okay,

So i assume ( perhaps wrongly ) 99.9% of people who ask "is it for sale" are not in the market, not vette people and dont have the fundage and or desire to buy such car even at going rate prices or otherwise they would have one,

So 64 dollar question,
Why do so many people ask if its for sale?[/QUOTE

Because You really don't see many C1,C2 & C3's on the streets or at local car shows now!
Old 10-15-2017, 08:29 AM
Jermo
Racer

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Is that the price for the '62 or '71?
Maybe the 71, The 62? I really don't think we would sell the car for that. It's been in the family sense 1969, my wife learned how to drive in it, took her drivers test in the vette, lots of memories that vette brings her that $$ cant replace.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:32 AM
ballen06
Pro

Received 168 Likes on 69 Posts

My 1969 Fathom Green L46 will never be sold by me.... maybe by my children after I am gone..

Bought it new in December of 1968.. sentimental.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:41 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
Okay,

So 64 dollar question,
Why do so many people ask if its for sale?
Easy answer - Because they like the car and want to dream for a few minutes. They engage you about the ownership experience at the only level they will ever be able to participate. Car show conversations are like that too.
Old 10-15-2017, 10:47 AM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Royal Canadian Navy

Originally Posted by ballen06
My 1969 Fathom Green L46 will never be sold by me.... maybe by my children after I am gone..

Bought it new in December of 1968.. sentimental.
Sentimental value. Hard to put a price on that.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:20 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi RMV,
I think the photo is early 1948.
I loved that little jeep.
Notice the 'kink' in the left side front bumper…. coming down our hill too fast….swerved into a maple tree!
Regards,
Alan
Different wheels, same outcome, and we not been right since......

As for my '72 it goes to my Son out in Ca. when I kick.....he can figger it out then.....plenty of documentation there to help....

As I read on in this thread, I drive it once a week maybe, and every time I do, at least one person/couple ask what YEAR it is, I just laugh and say it has vette parts from '65 through '94 on it, so pick a year.....when they double take on it, I laugh and say it was born in '72......but that there is NOTHING STOCK, wheels through roof, stem to stern....

Last edited by mrvette; 10-15-2017 at 11:28 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 AM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Been asked about the "is it for sale" thing.
Usually by someone who thinks cause you got some grey hair youll give it to them. What cracks me up is when they are done ooh ahhing all of a sudden eveyrthings wrong with it and out comes the insulting offer. Not low to see where youre at but half..or less.

On the 2 mil C2 agree with the museum, he obviously wants it cared for but man it would be a shame to never take it out on the road! If I had room Id gladly honor someone wishes but it would have to be driven occasionally its a sin to let any old vette sit forever. Mines covered in 2 yrs of dust, saw it last week thought how pathetic.

Love to see some pics of this gem

Last edited by cv67; 10-15-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:44 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

On the 2 mil C2 agree with the museum, he obviously wants it cared for but man it would be a shame to never take it out on the road! If I had room Id gladly honor someone wishes but it would have to be driven occasionally its a sin to let any old vette sit forever. Mines covered in 2 yrs of dust, saw it last week thought how pathetic.

Love to see some pics of this gem

The car gets driven. Since a 13 year restoration was completed in '92 it has been driven from Miami to Bloomington Gold (followed by a trailer with 55 gallon drums of 108 octane leaded race fuel) and drag raced at Moroso (11.26 @ 127) and taken to the local Corvette Club car shows annually. It was invited to Bloomington Gold this year and the top photo shows it being taken out for laps around the Indy Motor Speedway...with 4.11 gears. It was also invited to Carlisle this year.The bottom photo shows it behind my car at the local club show earlier this year. It is too valuable now to drive and risk being run into by some texter. It also overheats at stop lights and idles poorly. These cars were designed only for racing.and going very fast.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone not interested in selling? Ever

Old 10-15-2017, 12:53 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Whats it have under the hood, how is this worth 2 mil

Not sure about anyone else but shoot Id have a good cooling sytem on it good insurance and rack up the miles.
A rat can cause an electrical fire in a garage...see your point but looking back have missed out on so many yrs of driving -
no memories being made there!

Last edited by cv67; 10-15-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:24 PM
Faster Rat
Melting Slicks

Whats it have under the hood, how is this worth 2 mil
L88
Only 20 made in '67
Maybe 14 still exist
This one has drag racing history
Last one sold for 3.8 mil​​​​​​
Old 10-15-2017, 03:05 PM
cv67
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05

Can see his worry then cant come up with anything

Id be that idiot that carefully installed a DeWitts with dual spals not butcher anything and used it occasionally.

x2 on the museum sad thing is that would probably be its last day on the road

Has he considered selling it and leaving some $ to a few people that he cares about?

Last edited by cv67; 10-15-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone not interested in selling? Ever