Replacing Front Nose Badge on '80 L48

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 10:55 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Replacing Front Nose Badge on '80 L48

I've not started a thread in a VERY long time. Since Dec '15, I've been wrenching on a 1969 MCI MC7 bus (8V71 Detroit Diesel, 4-speed Spicer-manual, 40' long BUS).

1-2 years ago, the nose emblem came off of my C3. I found it had been applied with a HEAVY dose of thick adhesive.

What can I use to remove this adhesive without removing my paint? I don't want to pry it off as it will likely take the paint off. I have a new badge and the appropriate screws to fasten it using the existing mounting holes.

Can I (should I) use the same spray-on adhesive remover that can be used to remove the glue from stickers applied to a car's exterior?
Old 10-12-2017, 12:19 PM
~Stingray
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17, '19

I believe I have heard people say goo gone will work. Just make sure to clean it up after use. But even if you don't, it won't eat through you paint. At least, none that I have heard about.

You could stop by any work shop and just ask.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,148 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Is there any structure left to the adhesive, or just goo?

Look for videos on debadging, and try a combination of heat and fishing line to get the big chunks off.

I'd probably try Goof Off to chase the last of the residue, but be careful. Perhaps protect the paint with wax first? I wont' even speculate...
Old 10-12-2017, 06:42 PM
jlpskydive
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

If it's still attached to the car get some 550 cord and take some of the strands out of it and cut the adhesive with it. Dental floss is not strong enough. After that, cutting it with the string at all angles, take a plastic non mar tool (used for car stereo installs) and gently pry it off. Took me about 20 min to get the wrong one off the front of my 78. Then hit the area with goo gone and prep it with alcohol to adhere the new one. YMMV.

Last edited by jlpskydive; 10-12-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Front Nose Badge on '80 L48

Quick Reply: Replacing Front Nose Badge on '80 L48