C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing the gauge section of the dash.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:15 PM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Removing the gauge section of the dash.

Could anyone tell me just what's involved in removing the gauge section/driver's side of the dash in a '74? It looks like the steering column wound need to be dropped, just wondering how hard this is to do and what else needs to be done to pull that section. Would the gauges be attached to it/come out with it? Anything else? Really not sure, all of this is new to me.

Thank you—
Old 10-13-2017, 06:54 AM
danh77
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Remove the column, not hard to do, and you won't break the panel.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Cool bean
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

There's a number of threads detailing this procedure; they helped me do mine on my 74 as well. The things I "learned" the hard way are:

remove the tach and speedo cable before pulling gauge cluster too hard.
DEFINATELY drop the steering column.
if you have time, do the center console while you're at it.
the light switch is cheap, replace it.
be sure to check the gasket that prevents the speedo and tach lense from rattling.

theres more, but you'll find it all if the other threads.

good luck! Cleaning up dash and gauges is a very gratifying project.
Old 10-13-2017, 07:32 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi TE,
Why are you removing the pad?
The things you've been complaining about so far are nothing compared to what dealing with the driver's side dash is.

The are 5 screws that need to be removed.
2 on the hinge pillar, 3 across the top of the pad, and 2 from the left center of the center gauge bezel.
The bottom cover of the column needs to be removed, then the 2 large bolts that support the column will be visible.
There are 2 more nuts that need to be removed where the flange on the column abuts the fire-wall.
The column can be lowered about 3". To lower it further the column nees to be disconnected at the rag joint.
IF you lower the column with the it still bolted at the rag joint the column must be supported in it's lowered position or the rag joint may be damaged.

The pad can then be moved rearward and downward so you can reach behind the pad to begin to remove all the things that connect to the pad… speedometer/tachometer cables, electrical connections, vacuum connections, duct work, and much more.

Do you have the Assembly Manual for your car? I wouldn't even think of trying to remove the pad without it.

Regards,
Alan

The 2 column bolts.

Last edited by Alan 71; 10-13-2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 09:56 AM
Team Evil
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Thank you for the tips, Alan.

I want to remove the gauge panel to check the tach (it was working intermittently when the car was put up,) paint the panel to match the new interior color, clean up the inside of the gauge face/lens, and remove the eyeball vent.

The passenger's side panel and center gauge panel have already been removed, this will be the last piece.

I'll have to do a search this afternoon for more information on pulling this panel, wondering if the steering column can just be dropped a bit by removing the two bolts that hold it to the lower dash rather then fulling removing it. Would just dropping it provide enough needed clearance to wiggle the panel out and away?

Thanks gang—
Old 10-13-2017, 01:39 PM
62corvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 663 Likes on 472 Posts

Not safely.
Old 10-13-2017, 02:20 PM
80-Vette
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Does the pad need to come out to pull the speedo and tach? I assume an 80 is similar and I will be doing this soon.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing the gauge section of the dash.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Removing the gauge section of the dash.