Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Build: The Lone Chevy

Old 10-23-2017, 09:28 PM
Young73z
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RMVette
...what is the age of the tires? I have a good friend that had 20 year old tires on his C3 and one separated on him coming back from a car show and damaged his left front fender. They looked like new but just old. Made me go out and buy new tires for mine!
I can't say that this didn't keep me on the edge of my seat for the entire 8 hour drive from picking the car up. Haven't looked at the date codes yet but when I pulled the spare tire it was dated pre 2000... I just bought new wheels/tires which will be going on as soon as they get here. The car won't be out and about too much until those come in.

Originally Posted by dosoctaves
Nice find! welcome! Suggestion:, if the car is all original, you might consider sticking with the original color, and set the original engine aside if you're going to hot rod it. Make sure it can dust that Mustang when you're done!
The color is definitely staying for the near future and possibly permanently! The original engine will also be set aside as the hot rodding continues, though that could be due to my hoarder tendencies more than for the sake of originality. That mustang will be tough... it's hiding a 1969 NASCAR engine
Old 10-23-2017, 10:02 PM
Young73z
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weekend Update
Decided to take the weekend and do a bit of exploring by tracing the wiring throughout the car. While it isn't the worst I've seen it needs to be swapped out ASAP. I didn't take any pictures of this yet because I will document the process when I actually start replacing the harnesses.

After the wiring I then decided I wanted to look at the bottom and frame of the car, first thing removed was the spare tire (dated pre 2000 in a year ending in 3). Glad I didn't need it. Here is a picture taken of the underside of the rear, soon to have some shinier VBandP suspension hanging from it. It does look like the passenger half shaft was recently replaced as well as some bushings/odds and ends. Frame surface rust is going to be wire wheeled and undercoated.

Now clearly the next logical step would be to start installing the side pipes from Doug's Headers right? It will serve as a good test fit for when the engine swap happens as well as let me inspect frame and electricals up front. Or maybe I've always dreamed of a car with side pipes and couldn't contain myself any longer. Doug's Headers Part Numbers: D380-B, D930-B, D950
Off came the Z bar, alternator, spark plugs and any sensor connections, smog pump and connections, exhaust manifolds, and rest of the exhaust. The oil dipstick tube is a bit tricky to get out but slowly and carefully I wiggled it loose with a baby pair of vice grips. Now it's important to know that you don't need to remove the side trim pieces to get the headers in, but you do in order for the headers to actually match up with the block. Also a slight trim of the fiberglass body mount where the trim piece bolts up to is required. (It's all in their supplied instructions.... )

C'ya smog pump
Dipstick removal
Test fitment passenger side
Collector fitment passenger sideAs is usually the case I didn't get enough time to fit the driver side. As I write this I have my trim pieces marked and waiting to be clearanced before checked for fitment and installed. I'll get down to the car after work a couple days this week to prep for the last push of the install.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1972 Build: The Lone Chevy