Sponsored by:

Only a month into my search for my chome bumpered C3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 08:55 AM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Only a month into my search for my chome bumpered C3

I got the itch for a fun car to drive recently (my way of rebelling against "self driving cars to come) I was looking at newer model hot hatches and then also noticed that the 1968-1972 Corvettes were still with in reach. My dream car!!! Al tho for me it is a long reach at this point. I am noticing that even though its been 45-50 years sense these cars were produced there are still a lot of "starter C3s for under $20k. I keep feeling like I should jump on every deal and stretch my financial ability. So the question here is am I better off waiting for the "perfect" or near perfect C3 for me or do i make some computerizes and just get in the game?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:08 AM
FirebirdStrip
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get what you want the first time so you don't regret it! 😊

Project vs restoration
Coupe v convert
Original v resto
Auto v 4 spd
Bb vs sb
Color?

Good luck!

​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Chuckers dream (10-17-2017)
Old 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM
tokim
Burning Brakes

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

"perfect"..not sure if that exists.
Obviously, it's not like going to the Chevrolet dealership, and ordering the car with all of your color/options available to choose from.
My suggestion, is to do your homework on these cars, and be patient.
Typical for us to decide to bite the bullet on buying one, then it seems it can't happen fast enough.
Good luck in your search.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:55 AM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

First you need to do your homework and get the car with the best bones. Use the sticky thread “Ten Rules for Buying a Corvette” for details about what to look for.

Unless you are extremely lucky or have an unlimited budget, you will not find a “perfect” car. Mine seemed that way when I bought it, but after getting it I discovered many small details (and a couple of large ones) that had to be corrected. I am still in the process of doing that. Part of the fun and aggravation of owning the cars is gradually ticking off items on the list.

Just keep in mind that the car will bring you pleasure, but probably not profit. There are not very many true bargains out there and sometimes a 10K car can cost another 10K to make it a 15K car.

Otherwise, good luck and have fun buying your C3.

Originally Posted by Chuckers dream
I got the itch for a fun car to drive recently (my way of rebelling against "self driving cars to come) I was looking at newer model hot hatches and then also noticed that the 1968-1972 Corvettes were still with in reach. My dream car!!! Al tho for me it is a long reach at this point. I am noticing that even though its been 45-50 years sense these cars were produced there are still a lot of "starter C3s for under $20k. I keep feeling like I should jump on every deal and stretch my financial ability. So the question here is am I better off waiting for the "perfect" or near perfect C3 for me or do i make some computerizes and just get in the game?
Old 10-17-2017, 12:09 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

20k can get you one hell of a nice C3, theres always plenty for sale be picky. Get it up on a lift and check for hidden rust, cars this old probably have it somewhere. You want one thats already been addressed, suspension rebuilt etc as parts arent the cheapest

most ads will read like theirs will sell tomorrow or the only one like it on earth (slight sarcasm). Buy on condition alone & take someone who knows these cars in particular not just a car guy to look it over
Old 10-17-2017, 12:35 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by crawfish333
First you need to do your homework and get the car with the best bones. Use the sticky thread “Ten Rules for Buying a Corvette” for details about what to look for.

Unless you are extremely lucky or have an unlimited budget, you will not find a “perfect” car. Mine seemed that way when I bought it, but after getting it I discovered many small details (and a couple of large ones) that had to be corrected. I am still in the process of doing that. Part of the fun and aggravation of owning the cars is gradually ticking off items on the list.

Just keep in mind that the car will bring you pleasure, but probably not profit. There are not very many true bargains out there and sometimes a 10K car can cost another 10K to make it a 15K car.

Otherwise, good luck and have fun buying your C3.
I was very careful to say "perfect for me" I have read the stickes and at this point if I find one I want to buy I would go to the local Corvette club and ask for someone to come reinspect it with me I want a driver not a show car. I have done the show car thing and would rather not worry about a drop or two of rain or a rock chip

Last edited by Chuckers dream; 10-17-2017 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:06 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,690 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Keep in mind the rust on these cars can not be easily seen.
I researched and paid for a full inspection of my car before I purchased it. They documented every leak and dried up bushing. I knew exactly what I was getting before I bought.
Decide what year you want, chrome bumpers or not, big block or small, auto or stick and always important, the emissions standards for the state you reside.
Can make repairs and upgrades yourself, will you have to pay someone to do it for you or do you need a car that is complete?
I bought my 73 pretty much untouched, mostly original and it was evident the car had been well taken care of and not driven hard over the years.
I have been driving it for over a year with little maintenance and no repairs.
Good luck

Last edited by OldCarBum; 10-17-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:54 PM
oldgto
Safety Car

Received 991 Likes on 485 Posts

There are always exceptions, but I would feel better buying from a real Corvette "enthusiast", than a classic car dealer who will spray paint a turd and jack up the price to something ridiculous, all the while telling you what a deal you`re getting on this RARE car! Buy from someone who loves these cars as much as you do, and who knows fair value.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:27 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Amen!
Old 10-17-2017, 02:40 PM
crawfish333
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 187 Posts
CI 6-7 & 9 Veteran

OK, but I was not really discussing the "Car Show Thing." When I bought my car, it was not apparent that the engine leaked oil and would require a new main seal and valve cover gaskets. It was also not apparent that the radiator had pin holes in it and would need to be replaced. I wish you good luck and I hope you find a perfect car for you, but I was only trying to give some advice based on my own experience and it had nothing whatsoever to do with car shows.

I was very careful to say "perfect for me" I have read the stickes and at this point if I find one I want to buy I would go to the local Corvette club and ask for someone to come reinspect it with me I want a driver not a show car. I have done the show car thing and would rather not worry about a drop or two of rain or a rock chip
Old 10-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by oldgto
There are always exceptions, but I would feel better buying from a real Corvette "enthusiast", than a classic car dealer who will spray paint a turd and jack up the price to something ridiculous, all the while telling you what a deal you`re getting on this RARE car! Buy from someone who loves these cars as much as you do, and who knows fair value.
So far every car owner has been part of a club and two had owned the car for over 20 years
Old 10-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

What's in your tool box? Do you have the skill set to turn wrenches on these 50 year old cars?
Old 10-17-2017, 03:21 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by crawfish333
OK, but I was not really discussing the "Car Show Thing." When I bought my car, it was not apparent that the engine leaked oil and would require a new main seal and valve cover gaskets. It was also not apparent that the radiator had pin holes in it and would need to be replaced. I wish you good luck and I hope you find a perfect car for you, but I was only trying to give some advice based on my own experience and it had nothing whatsoever to do with car shows.
Did not mean to offend or degrade or discount in any way. The reason I am here on this forum is to try to learn as much as possible so I don t get the wrong car. Every car has its challenges and I am still learning the C3s
Old 10-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr D.
What's in your tool box? Do you have the skill set to turn wrenches on these 50 year old cars?
Compleetly restored a 1972 Buick Skylark convertible, it was clean but the only thing not done to it was the dash and convertible top, so I would say I am 7 of 10 on working of cars.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Compleetly restored a 1972 Buick Skylark convertible, it was clean but the only thing not done to it was the dash and convertible top, so I would say I am 7 of 10 on working of cars.
Well your way ahead of the power curve for buying a C3 that might need some TLC but otherwise is a straight rust free car. When I say rust I'm talking exfoliation type rust.

BTW my HS car was a 1969 Buick GS convertible, 400 Ram Air, 4sp fully loaded. Bucket seats w/ console. If I only knew what I had back than. This car was bought in 1973 (4 year old car) with a rod knocking for $300, this was during the Gas Crisis of the 70's.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:38 PM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

Its always exciting when you can look for a new car .

Please do us a favour , when your homing in on the one that ticks all your boxes , post a few pics here so we can share your excitement without spending any money

Also , so we can have a look at it , we might see something you could have missed . Nice to have 20 or more people scanning your pics , looking for faults or previous accident damage

Last edited by bazza77; 10-17-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

I had a 72, Buick, Skylark GSII, 455. Wild ride and to think my dad had to talk me into it because it was a Buick and not a Chevelle. If I remember correctly I paid about $1,100.00 for it 2 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To Only a month into my search for my chome bumpered C3

Old 10-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
I had a 72, Buick, Skylark GSII, 455. Wild ride and to think my dad had to talk me into it because it was a Buick and not a Chevelle. If I remember correctly I paid about $1,100.00 for it 2 years old.

After
Before
Por15

It was a super fun project but I had no real attachment to the car. I wanted a Corvette
Old 10-18-2017, 10:57 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Very Nice. Mine was silver blue metallic with a black vinyl top and the 455. I was a kid and put on a set of hookers, a dual quad cross ram, two 600 Holleys, Mallory ignition, and the rattiest cam Crane made. Total sleeper.
Chuckers dream (10-18-2017)
Old 10-18-2017, 12:32 PM
Chuckers dream
Advanced

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Very Nice. Mine was silver blue metallic with a black vinyl top and the 455. I was a kid and put on a set of hookers, a dual quad cross ram, two 600 Holleys, Mallory ignition, and the rattiest cam Crane made. Total sleeper.

Quick Reply: Only a month into my search for my chome bumpered C3